Amateur doper story

2»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    phreak wrote:
    Why though? Because one is legal and the other isn't? We're amateurs. People laugh and scoff when people take sportives seriously, but amateur racing is hardly any better.

Because spending money on a powertap doesn't f*ck with your health.

JV talks about "physiological scarring".

Mental health is just as important as physical health, and exercise addiction is far from unheard of.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    FJS wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Why though? Because one is legal and the other isn't? We're amateurs. People laugh and scoff when people take sportives seriously, but amateur racing is hardly any better.

Because spending money on a powertap doesn't f*ck with your health..
    top level sport (and that includes amateurs training as such) f*cks with your health..

That's not the same though is it?

We've all heard the EPO stories of riders dying in their sleep.

The reason it's illegal is that it's ridiculously dangerous. Otherwise they'd let them.
    It's not the same, but I think what this article shows is that the decision making process of doing more and more for your sport is a gradual process. Most people stay on the right side of the law, and it's not some kind of irreversible slippery slope, but it just shows that the psychology of doping is more complex than a sudden decision to cheat
  • phreak wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Because spending money on a powertap doesn't f*ck with your health.

JV talks about "physiological scarring".

Mental health is just as important as physical health, and exercise addiction is far from unheard of.

As a Cat 2 with delusions of grandeur, I am (in hindsight) extremely grateful for a couple of well timed injuries that saw me gain a bit of weight (68kg for a 181cm male is not right!) and start enjoying life a bit and recognise amateur sport isn't the be all and end all.

There's one guy I know who I'm certain would go in for a bit of hot sauce if only he wasn't so tight. :lol:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    iainf72 wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    There certainly seem to be a few doped ex-pros riding sportifs
    http://www.trainingloops.com/bikes-drug ... rtives.htm

but where drug tests have been conducted they seem to have netted a few amateur too. Is it really true that EPO cannot be detected after 7 days?

I'm not professional,but I could tell you how to take EPO so it wouldn't show up in a test less than a day later.

If this is true, then given that you can schedule your hour of availability to be 36 hours after the previous one every other day, then what stops people taking EPO every other day?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    My layman understanding is, you'd use very small amounts of EPO, and it wouldn't be as effective. But Iain will probably come along in a bit to tell me I'm wrong :oops: Or you use various masking agents...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TheBigBean wrote:
    If this is true, then given that you can schedule your hour of availability to be 36 hours after the previous one every other day, then what stops people taking EPO every other day?

For whereabouts, you need to schedule an hour a day which says where you are. But ADA's can just take a swing and turn up for a sample. It's just if you're not there its not a problem.

If you microdose EPO and do it I/V, it will clear out of your system in about 8 hours. This is from the protocol that Landis described to Ashenden. Ashenden seems to indicate that it would work.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    I think there are a lot of replies here that don't consider sport is competitive, regardless whether it is amateur or pro; you do it to win.

This guy perhaps out of curiosity perhaps out of a will to compete dabbled and heh presto it worked. Once you have opened pandora's box, it is almost impossible as to give up means giving up competition too.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I can honestly say, I do sport to have fun first, and win/do well second.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    Jez mon wrote:
    I can honestly say, I do sport to have fun first, and win/do well second.

Wow! ;)I love sport and I have fun whether I win or lose but I have always played to win.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    If someone's got the money for a £5K bike, to ride in a "Fish and Chipper", it's not a great surprise that they'll go as far as doping.

So because someone is well off or works hard to earn a good income means that they are likely to dope. I don't think i've ever read such a stupid statement!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Brakeless wrote:
    If someone's got the money for a £5K bike, to ride in a "Fish and Chipper", it's not a great surprise that they'll go as far as doping.

So because someone is well off or works hard to earn a good income means that they are likely to dope. I don't think i've ever read such a stupid statement!

Some guy on minimum wage is unlikely to have $500 a month to blow on human growth hormone....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Brakeless wrote:

Some guy on minimum wage is unlikely to have $500 a month to blow on human growth hormone....

Yes, but the inference was that anyone rich enough to spend top dollar on a bike was likely to be splashing his cash on dope as well, which is patently absurd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Not sure it was saying that it was simply that someone had the money, but more that they felt it was worth spending so much money in order to try and win a 3rd cat race. If winning such an unimportant race is so important to you maybe it isn't such a stretch that you'd go to other means.
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    I ride local races in Spain and I know of several local riders who are aged between 40 to 50 that are known to take EPO etc. These guys are only riding small master category races and only win a crappy little trophy. One of the guys has tested positive once and he hasn´t had any ban or sanction. I decided not not race anymore this season as its pointless sacrificing so much time etc when you know what these guys are doing to cheat.
    The local cycling federation has said it doesn´t have the resources to perform regular testing etc at the races.

Gav