Would you sell Bradley Wiggins' bike if you won it?

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In his description he says he cannot justify keeping it, so why go in for a competition when you don't want the prize ?.........oh, the money, ok now. :|
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    In his description he says he cannot justify keeping it, so why go in for a competition when you don't want the prize ?.........oh, the money, ok now. :|
    Competition First Prize = something worth potentially lots of money. Please don't enter if you don't have any use for money.

Yeah, he might have entered it because he could win something he thought might be worth 10k. Where is the problem with that?........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Looks like I'm in the minority then. I'd definitely keep it and try to find somewhere in the house to showcase it. I know he's probably ridden loads of the things, but it would be nice to have a little piece of history, no matter how small.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Id use it as my commuter probably.

On a serious note Id get rid sharpish - as someone else above said I dont get the celebrityisation of stuff and 99% of people would see it and assume that it is a tragic Chinarello copycat effort.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Noticed he has 2 bids but the greedy b'stard has a 'reserve not met' on £10k!!! :shock:

I'd be happy getting £5k for it. Guy hasn't a clue.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited August 2012
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Noticed he has 2 bids but the greedy b'stard has a 'reserve not met' on £10k!!! :shock:

I'd happily sit on it for a few weeks longer and try and get 10k, why the hell not, that way he'll have more to spend on the kids.

If it doesn't sell for 10k, sure drop the price...
  • rolf_f
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    £10k? Living in cuckoo land.
    Gazzaputt wrote:

He seems to have more of a clue than you do! Depends on if his reserve is met but he's already got bids worth 5k more than you'd have sold it for so I think he's doing OK so far :wink:

Besides, there are lots of idiots in this world and all he needs to do is to find two of them to bid against each other on his bike and he's sorted.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    up to 10.2k now, I'd certainly be selling it on if I'd won it.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I'd keep it, maybe hire it to exhibits. Wouldnt ride it though, couldnt handle crashing it! Plus its too big!

If it was cav's bike however, I'd ride it, would be a 50cm too so would fit me great!
  • I'd sell it, but possibly at a specialty auction and not ebay.

I don't know how much a bike ridden by say Merckx would go for? I suspect the value will drop off quite fast, unless it's a bike that they rode while winning something. A 'training' bike? - there's no way I'd keep it.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'd sell it, but possibly at a specialty auction and not ebay.

I agree, I would resent paying ebay the £1020+ that you'd end up paying, assuming it goes for 10.2
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Didn't sell at £10,400 - wonder what the reserve was
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Rolf F wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    £10k? Living in cuckoo land.
    Gazzaputt wrote:

He seems to have more of a clue than you do! Depends on if his reserve is met but he's already got bids worth 5k more than you'd have sold it for so I think he's doing OK so far :wink:

Besides, there are lots of idiots in this world and all he needs to do is to find two of them to bid against each other on his bike and he's sorted.

I beg to differ.

£10k you'll be very very lucky to get serious bidders. Also the guy set it with reserve which is more than the £10k.

Start at say £5 - 6k and let the bidding commence.

At the end of the day it's money you didn't have so it'll be a bonus whatever you get especially as he says he isn't interested in riding. Get a very nice holiday or pay off debts.
  • rolf_f
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I beg to differ.

£10k you'll be very very lucky to get serious bidders. Also the guy set it with reserve which is more than the £10k.

Start at say £5 - 6k and let the bidding commence.

Yes, but he got at least a couple of bidders didn't he - clearly 10k, by your own words, wasn't living in cuckoo land. And you are changing your line by saying start at 5k-6k and let the bidding commence - previously you said you'd be happy at 5k so presumably you thought it wouldn't even make that. You need to read what you say :lol: . Granted, a low start might have got a higher total in the end but he proved 10k was achievable. The reserve was irrelevant as your point was that he wouldn't get interest at 10k.

You can't put a rational value on stuff like this - 10k is a sensible target in my book in the current frenzied climate. There are lots of silly people buying stuff at the moment for much money. If you had a velodrome ticket, and you are lucky, you might do as well as one bloke did last night and sell it on Ebay for £46 - that's almost half what I paid for mine before the event! You might get a tenner for your venue guide. Even the Day Guides are selling for well over their cost price.