Would you sell Bradley Wiggins' bike if you won it?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190709800006

I don't think he'll get any [genuine] takers but would you sell or keep it?

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Have you seen the photo of it?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    Yes
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Can anyone explain why they wouldn't?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Dogma 2 with EPS ridden by Wiggo? Wonder what Shimano as their main component supplier thought about that.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Too chuffing right I would. Yes, it's a lovely bike that's been ridden by an excellent rider. But it's still only a bike.

If you're that into the bike, sell the Wiggins bike to someone who'd appreciate the connection more and buy the same model for less.

I've never understood "celebrity personalization" of otherwise normal stuff. Can you tell?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I'm sure Wiggle would buy it..
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Yes, because it would be far too big for me. However, I would first try an get BW to autograph it just to push up the value even higher!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    nice bar angle :roll:
    FCN = 4
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Ridden by him how far, it's not a tour bike is it as they have shimano on them. Depends if it fitted me and even then I don't like that type of bike, people just say put campag on them like everyone wants campag, no not me.
  • jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    yep i'd sell and put the money to better use
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Paul E wrote:
    Ridden by him how far, it's not a tour bike is it as they have shimano on them. Depends if it fitted me and even then I don't like that type of bike, people just say put campag on them like everyone wants campag, no not me.

Am I missing something? It says it has Di2.
  • asprilla
    lc1981 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

eBay wrote:
    It's a Pinarello Dogma 2 with Eps Electric gear shift
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'd probably sell it and buy a different bike, yep.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Asprilla wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

eBay wrote:

"It is a Pinarello Dogma 2 with Di 2 Electric gear shift" is what I see!

It also says "I have revised the listing today after I was contacted by Sky to inform me that it is not a 2011 bike but one of Bradley's 2012 Bikes", so I guess the description has been updated and your browser isn't showing the latest version?
  • Yeah I'd sell it.....

.... if it was Victoria Pendleton's bike on the other hand......

.....I'd keep the saddle and sell the rest :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • asprilla
    lc1981 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

eBay wrote:

"It is a Pinarello Dogma 2 with Di 2 Electric gear shift" is what I see!

It also says "I have revised the listing today after I was contacted by Sky to inform me that it is not a 2011 bike but one of Bradley's 2012 Bikes", so I guess the description has been updated and your browser isn't showing the latest version?

Weird. Safari on iOS isn't showing that.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    If I'd won it in competition I'd have to try it. But, as with the seller, I couldn't justify keeping a bike like that. I'd sell it, begrudgingly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Be pointless trying to own it. Wouldn't be able to lift it up the stairs to my flat it's so heavy.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Course I'd sell it, after giving it a go. The alternatives are to use it as a commuter bike, turn up on it at Sportivs, charity bike rides & the Dunwich Dynamo with ATGNI written across your forehead, or to stash in the loft with a view to selling it some years hence.

I'd sell the bike as quickly as I'd be straight onto EBay if I won the Gadget Show competition.

The seeker's reasons are entirely valid.

Course I'd look a bit of a mug if either of the boys suddenly showed potential as a promising decent cyclist. Reckon I'm on safe ground at the minute though.
  • jam5ie76
    jam5ie76 Posts: 108
    Strange that it has normal chainrings?

Id strip it and sell everything bar the frame, forks and finishing kit. I'd hang them on the wall in my bike shed.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    It'd be far too big for me so it'd go on sale. And then I'd probably buy one in my size anyway and spend the
    proceeds on a cycling holiday, perhaps in France next July.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    jam5ie76 wrote:
    Strange that it has normal chainrings?

Id strip it and sell everything bar the frame, forks and finishing kit. I'd hang them on the wall in my bike shed.
    id do something similar

strip it and put the Di2 on my commuter

Frame would then be hung on the wall as a piece of art
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    It's about the right size for me + our 16YO. So we'd give it a spin.

If I turned up at the office on it, productivity would take a nosedive for the day.

My boss & Mr Pinarello (who likes the A14 because it's super quick !?!) could analyse its characteristics better than me. I'd like to know what they made of it.

But yes, sell it. 12YO gets a carbon FS MTB, I get an NOS carbon roadbike, and pay off a chunk of mortgage.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    £10k? Living in cuckoo land.
  • A bit off topic, but at 6ft3 I'd expect him to be on a 58cm frame not a 56cm???
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Be pointless trying to own it. Wouldn't be able to lift it up the stairs to my flat it's so heavy.

Behave :lol:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • A bit off topic, but at 6ft3 I'd expect him to be on a 58cm frame not a 56cm???

Dogmas size up a bit big.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Seller has added a note to the auction saying Sky contacted him and are none to pleased he's selling it.

For me I'd have kept it and sold one of my other bikes. I think. Maybe. I don't know.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    He won it, it's his now, he can sell it. Really don't see the problem, I think he's being a bit of a nob with the £10k starting price but otherwise I'd probably do the same thing.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • I'd sell it in a heartbeat. It might be a harder choice if it was one of the frames with yellow detailing on it, but even then I'm not sure I could justify keeping it. It'd bee too big for me and surely a nice bike deserves to be ridden?