How to pick tyres?

Morty84
Morty84 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know this gets brought up over and over again but I could do with some help and advice. I know abit about tyres about road type and xc, then there's bead, wire and is it ust? Width of tyres etc.. But when it comes down to actually picking g some new ones I'm kinda stuck. How can you tell if the tires are suitable for you. I mean I've looked at rubber Queens and mountain kings but what is the main difference? Is there a mega difference between normal rubber Queens and black chilli version? Does it just come down to trial and error finding the right tyres?

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Best bet is to ask in a bike shop local to where you ride, and see what they recommend.

The basics:
    Folding bead is lighter than wire bead, and as far as mountain bikers are concerned, that it the only advantage of a folding tyre.
    However, it is quite common for steel bead tyres to be of the budget end, so they may use poor rubber compounds that usually last exceptionally well, but don't offer much grip.
    The wider a tyre, the more grip it offers, and the more bump absorption. The tradeoff is that they become heavier, and harder work to pedal anywhere.
    UST = Tubeless tyre. They can be run with tubes if you wish, but they will be heavier than normal tyres, with a much thicker sidewall.

As for Black Chilli? I love it, I wouldn't bother with any continental MTB tyre that doesn't use it. It rolls faster, wears out slower, and offers significantly more grip than their "standard" compound.
    I believe the Rubber Queens are a slightly softer compound than Mountain Kings, and offer better grip on rocks and very hard surfaces in the wet.
    (However, someone's also told me that the wider Continental tyres, sold as more freeridey-style tyres, all have softer compounds than their narrower XC-oriented counterparts, I can't confirm this yet though.)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In answer to your final question - pretty much yes.
    I also believe a lot of it is psychological. I have a lot of confidence in my favourite tyres, so I push a bit harder but I bet if I was blindfolded and told they were El Cheapo Nasties I'd be slower. Obviously being blinfolded I'd also crash but you get the idea.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ^^Cooldad actually rides some tyres that may well be the ultimate all-rounders. They're so good that I'm actually toying with going to town to buy some tomorrow.
    But I'm in a slightly awkward mood and I have a headache, so I'm not going to tell you what they are.
  • cooldad
    You are an evil bastard.
    As it was a general (sensible) question I didn't want to get specific and it always degenerates into a this (make model compund size) front, that (ditto) back wankfest.

But what do I know, I even have Porcs on one bike. (They are actually quite good in snow)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    You are an evil bastard.
    As it was a general (sensible) question I didn't want to get specific and it always degenerates into a this (make model compund size) front, that (ditto) back wankfest.
    Exactly.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have some tyres on my bike that my old boss was throwing out having taken them off his old "fitness" bike (he wasnt fit in anyway). They are folding, have good grip, good traction in the loose stuff we have here, dont slip in the wet and generally seem to work really well. They were free so they seem like the best tyre to me! (Geax Sturdy E or something I think!)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    cooldad wrote:
    In answer to your final question - pretty much yes.
    I also believe a lot of it is psychological. I have a lot of confidence in my favourite tyres, so I push a bit harder but I bet if I was blindfolded and told they were El Cheapo Nasties I'd be slower. Obviously being blinfolded I'd also crash but you get the idea.

I have to agree with this, it's not about x tyre is the best, it's finding a tyre that works for you. Obviously some will be better than others :lol:... but if you can't get the best out of a tyre and get any confidence in it then it's no good for you. Once you're at a point where you do know exactly how your tyre handles different stuff and how it behaves and trust it then you're onto a winner.
    ^^Cooldad actually rides some tyres that may well be the ultimate all-rounders. They're so good that I'm actually toying with going to town to buy some tomorrow.
    But I'm in a slightly awkward mood and I have a headache, so I'm not going to tell you what they are.

This too. I'm in love with mine. It's got to the point where I struggle to ride other tyres now though because nothing seems to be the same, probably down to what is said above about confidence.
  • Morty84
    So it a case of trial and error. I don't know weather too start of with 2 of the same back and front or different. Say a rubber queen on the front and a mountain king on the back? Are there any good places to get tyres f om that seem cheaper than others? Or a Good place to but some chilli tyres from. I've seen some on the bay for around the 20 mark and in the description mentions black chilli but I think it's a generic description. How would I know if a tyre has the black chilli compound
  • YeehaaMcgee
    They will have "black chilli" and "handmade in Germany" written on the side. Usually.
    Otherwise check Conti's website. Some tyres only come in black chilli version - like the mountain king "protection", I believe.
    Oh, and black chilli compound squeaks crazily on tarmac!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Bike-discount.de is meant to be fairly cheap for stuff and I'm sure they do Conti tyres, obviously they have to come from Germany so might take a couple more days to get to you. Failing that CRC, nextdaytyres.com? Shop around.

Have heard a few people buying tyres of ebay that have had the black chili description only to find they aren't though. Up to you whether to risk it or not, if you're not sure then don't do it. Given black chili tend to retail around £45-50 I can't see them being £20 on ebay (well not new at least).
  • Morty84
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Bike-discount.de is meant to be fairly cheap for stuff and I'm sure they do Conti tyres, obviously they have to come from Germany so might take a couple more days to get to you. Failing that CRC, nextdaytyres.com? Shop around.

Have heard a few people buying tyres of ebay that have had the black chili description only to find they aren't though. Up to you whether to risk it or not, if you're not sure then don't do it. Given black chili tend to retail around £45-50 I can't see them being £20 on ebay (well not new at least).

That's what I was thinking, due to the generic description that they wouldn't be black chilli just trying to pass them off to be with actually stating they are. I don't actually know if I'll need black chilli versions, I'll buy the normal rubber Queens see how I get on with them then go from there,.

Thanks for the info people.
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Neither would I. Cheapo continental tyres are pants, frankly.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    I've been on a tyre hunt recently as well, Bike-Discount are cheapest on most but it's worth shopping round. they have black chilli rubber queens for 27.50, or mountain kings II protection black chilli for similar.
  • Morty84
    So what would be a decent choice? Tyres without the 30+ price tag. I aint even got my bike yet (collect it on the 15th). [ I got the matt pro d, already got some mg1's pretty cheap so the next thing is tyres because I doubt the stock tyres will be any good can't seem to find any reviews. Then next month it will be forks but trying to get my head round tyres first with so many different tyres.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh just ride the fu**ing thing first.
    What the hell is up with this place recently? "I'm getting this bike, what upgrades should I do?"
    Give me strength.
  • cooldad
    Bit like putting an ad on www.russianbrides.com and putting money aside for her to have a boob job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I made the website up but just clicked and it's real.
    Interesting browse.
    And none of them seem to need a boob job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Morty84
    I ain't asking what shod I upgrade I'm only asking how to figure out how to choose tyres. XWhats the problem with people wanting to upgrade little things on there new bike? It's not like I'm changing shifters and stuff just asking advice on the tyres, pedals don't come with the bike so had to get some, and I'll run the forks till its ready for new ones as I'd not get much for them anyway. Theres no harm asking for advice and im new to this stuff so I'd have to ask sooner or later
  • Hi there.I m thinking about changing my tyre set up and i would like some ideas from you guys.I ride xc on a carbon hardtail and my current set up is rocket Ron evo ust 2,25 up front and racing Ralph 2.1 evo DD on the rear.Now do you think i should stay as i am , go at 2.25 f&r or go at 2,21?
    P.S. where i ride there isn't much mud as there is climbing.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If you're immediately upgrading the bike, then you've bought the wrong bike.
    A set of nice Conti tyres, and a fork will put a roughly £300 dent in your wallet - moronic.
    Buy the right bike to begin with, then ride it. If there's anything lacking, you'll soon find out.
  • Morty84
    If you're immediately upgrading the bike, then you've bought the wrong bike.
    A set of nice Conti tyres, and a fork will put a roughly £300 dent in your wallet - moronic.
    Buy the right bike to begin with, then ride it. If there's anything lacking, you'll soon find out.

So from what your saying there's a bike out there that has got everything on it that I want right down to tyres? Does a budget not come into buying a bike either? I must of also bought the wrong car as mine won't do 200mph ill get rid.

The bike I have bought is what I want. I did some post on advice between bikes and looked at the best option. I know I don't need to be spending £300 on tyres and forks Aslong as they do the job and the forks on this bike have been said to be the only let down so will be a future upgrade if and when needed.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Morty84 wrote:
    So from what your saying there's a bike out there that has got everything on it that I want right down to tyres? Does a budget not come into buying a bike either? I must have also bought the wrong car as mine won't do 200mph ill get rid.
    :roll:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Morty84 wrote:
    I ain't asking what shod I upgrade I'm only asking how to figure out how to choose tyres. XWhats the problem with people wanting to upgrade little things on there new bike? It's not like I'm changing shifters and stuff just asking advice on the tyres, pedals don't come with the bike so had to get some, and I'll run the forks till its ready for new ones as I'd not get much for them anyway. Theres no harm asking for advice and im new to this stuff so I'd have to ask sooner or later

To be fair Morty84 you dont have the bike yet but are already going to change the tyres - I was going to say upgrade but unless you have ridden the ones that come with it who knows if they will be an upgrade.

You also say that next month you were going to change the fork - ok you change that later to say you will run the provided one until it needs changing (whatever that means) - but if you are going to spend 60 quid before you get the bike on tyres and 300 quid on a new fork a month later I reckon thats a 600-650 quid bike you could have got int he first place with a bit of judicious saving or credit card application. That equates to a better bike int he first place with no need to upgrade/change anything - which is pretty poor decision making by my reckoning.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    On the other hand this way he gets a bike to ride and can have a bit of fun. Having read the other thread, the base bike isn't bad, the fork upgrade is just over £100 for some Recon Silvers. So IMO a reasonible option.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Morty84
    cooldad wrote:
    On the other hand this way he gets a bike to ride and can have a bit of fun. Having read the other thread, the base bike isn't bad, the fork upgrade is just over £100 for some Recon Silvers. So IMO a reasonible option.

And there the forks I was looking at. I aint going to pay £300 quid for a pair of forks that I probably wouldn't actually need. I'm getting a mtb for a little fun I aint doing comps and need the best kit. I asked a simple question on advice about tyres and someone sees there Arse because I haven't got the bike yet. Trying to get a little research and get stick for it nice welcome that is.

I got the bike because it was in my budget and people have said the forks are poor, thanks for the advice I'd look at that if and when I De ide to change them. I just want to pick the right tyres for the type of riding I want to do so asked advice. Since I can't find reviews on the stock tires or anyone can help wouldn't it be easier to get the tyres for my type of riding before actually going out and probably not enjoying my 1st ride because my tyres spin or slip on rocks.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Best idea is to just ride some tyres and after a while you'll pick up on a personal favourite and regardless of what people might advise you, anything you like and can put the most trust into is what you'll get the most out of.
  • To be honest, the tyres on that bike aren't terrbile. Sure the don't grip amazingly when it's especially wet, but they're more perfectly capable to take out for a bit of a spin.

Interesting that yours didn't come with pedals though - mine did... Still, they're not that great, so will be getting changed for V12's I imagine.
  • Morty84
    Did you get your bike from merlin cycles? I'm saying it don't come with pedals but that's only from a comment someone made who purchased the bike. If it does oh well I couldn't let the mg1's go for the price I got them.
  • cooldad
    Whatever pedals are in when you get it, chances are they are rubbish and the MG1s will be far better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools