Triathlon anyone? (contains cycling)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Awesome... A guy falls off going in a straight line, taking another guy with him within 2 minutes of starting the bike.

I love when my prejudices appear before my very eyes.

Is Dan Francis racing?

Haha. Saw the same. I laughed out loud.

You'd think in a sport where bike-handling is so poor they'd ban the 'tri' bars in mass start events.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Well that's a very select bunch at the front.

The others will be turning themselves inside out to catch up the way those guys can run.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    lol sunglasses underneath helmet straps...

What the hell are the Brownlees wearing on their heads?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    You have to have your sunglasses underneath your helmet straps in Tri so you can keep the glasses for the run 8)

Weird that the Brownlees don't have tri bars on their bikes. Their GB team mate does.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I know. Though I bet it wouldn't add any time to remove glasses in one hand whilst removing helmet with the other.
    Still looks stupid

Commentary is also making Hugh Porter look like a genius
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It does make me wonder why they allow tri bars in this event when you are allowed to bunch ride....
    just confusing..
    A lot of riders dont have them.. the better tri s..that is.
    . the ones on the tri bars in the middle of the line out, you can tell they have sh1t no control whatsoever..
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    So basically the whole field arrives at the run at the same time and then the fastest runner wins?

Fantastic. :roll:
  • jgsi
    thelawnet wrote:
    So basically the whole field arrives at the run at the same time and then the fastest runner wins?

Fantastic. :roll:

doh, you guessed right first time..
    someone did suggest alter the order of the tri
    run/ride/swim ( you might need more lifeguards though)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    What happens if they have punctures? Is there any support?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    What happens if they have punctures? Is there any support?

Spare wheels at intervals around the circuit.
  • Pross
    Groups merge and GB play the old 1-2-3 tactic. Good to see. Another near miss at the back of the group as the US rider cuts up the Frenchie.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    I'm no expert on triathlon but wasn't persisting with that break for so long a little bit stupid?
  • Pross
    Not as bad as getting on your bike too early - if J Brownlee has done that it would seem a bit of a school boy error!
  • graeme_s-2
    Quite funny watching them strung out along the bike lane then. The road's closed, you can use the whole thing!
  • DeadCalm
    Pross wrote:
    Not as bad as getting on your bike too early - if J Brownlee has done that it would seem a bit of a school boy error!
    How does the 15 second penalty work? Will they stop him at the transition or what?
  • hammerite
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    How does the 15 second penalty work? Will they stop him at the transition or what?

yes usually.
  • Pross
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm not sure, from the commentary it seems he can take it at any point once he becomes aware.
  • Does anyone ever attack and try to break the group up or is it just attritional?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    If he can take it anywhere, would stopping on the bike be his best option?
  • graeme_s-2
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    If he can take it anywhere, would stopping on the bike be his best option?
    I think they said he would have to take it through transition during the run. They said his first chance to take it would be the end of the first run lap.
  • hammerite
    Does anyone ever attack and try to break the group up or is it just attritional?

occasionally there are attacks. Hayes is doing the equivalent of a lead out, keeping the pace high so no one can attack.
  • jgsi
    Bike mounted cameras... interesting option
  • graeme_s-2
    What's the deal with that car with the camera mounted on it!? Why aren't they just using a motorbike like they would in a bike race, seems much more suitable.
  • graeme_s-2
    Commentator confusing two different GB athletes who look completely different and are wearing different helmets. Genius.
  • hammerite
    Who was asking about the helmets? Look towards the bottom...... http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/cycling/ blame Mr Boardman :lol:
  • graeme_s-2
    Johnny Brownlee looking like he could contest the bronze medal even with his 15 second penalty at this pace
  • DeadCalm
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Johnny Brownlee looking like he could contest the bronze medal even with his 15 second penalty at this pace
    Or maybe not. He should have taken the penalty at the start of this lap by the looks of it.
  • graeme_s-2
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Or maybe not. He should have taken the penalty at the start of this lap by the looks of it.
    Yeah, I think so too. Leaves the penalty box still in 3rd place though.
  • rick_chasey
    It's like wacky races.
  • graeme_s-2
    Given the way Johnny Brownlee started to crack on the run before his penalty I'm not sure he'd have done better than bronze even without it.