So. Many new people asking you for cycling advice?

2»

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    jae-so wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    "Why wasnt Chris Hoy in the road race? He is awesome."

I've had questions similar to this. For example, why was Cav only in one race? If Froome and Wiggins were good enough to ride the TT after the RR, why wasn't Cav in it as well. And why isn't he on the track if he's such a good sprinter. Reasonable enough questions though, and I just explained the differences in disciplines and stuff. Seemed to satisfy the questioner, anyway.

We did have about 4 or 5 new kids at the Go-Ride club last Saturday. I'm not coaching this weekend, but I dare say we'll have more kids coming along.

Lol please share your answers, I'm a noob so I would like to know why Cav wasn't in the TT lol, my guess is he doesn't have the endurance, but you'd think with his speed he could sustain a fast ride for 27 miles

Cav is a sprinter - he can sustain that pace for maybe 2/300m. TT is about more than just speed
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Cav is a sprinter - he can sustain that pace for maybe 2/300m. TT is about more than just speed

Yeah, they're different beasts. Cav may have a fast top end, but he can't sustain that for 20km. Wiggins, on the other hand, might not have the acceleration and top end of Cavendish, but he can sustain a higher average output for a longer time. Usain Bolt might rock the 100m, but Mo Farah would spank him over 10k. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    Agent57 wrote:

Yeah, they're different beasts. Cav may have a fast top end, but he can't sustain that for 20km. Wiggins, on the other hand, might not have the acceleration and top end of Cavendish, but he can sustain a higher average output for a longer time. Usain Bolt might rock the 100m, but Mo Farah would spank him over 10k. =)

I get the analogy but Cav isn't really Bolt is he, he would be more comparable to Sir Chris Hoy, I suppose the best we comparison for Cav would be an average middle distance/long distance runner with a hell of finish?
  • Agent57
    Maybe, but I don't follow running so I can't pick out such a person. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Agent57 wrote:

That would be Mo Farah.

:roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I lent a bike to my borther once, never again after 2 weeks the crank arms were falling off (square taper = knackered bb) so it needed a new bb new left crank arm and brake pads etc etc ohh and the chain broke a week after grabbing it back from him, I never lend a bike to anyone now
  • Agent57
    rubertoe wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

That would be Mo Farah.

Who? Never heard of him.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The rep from our printer accosted me to ask if he should get a Specialized or a Canondale. I told him to go for the 'Dale. Not for any particularly good reason, I was just busy and didn't want to get drawn too far on the subject. I don't even know if it was a road bike or MTB.

Snob

:lol:
    It's what this place made me.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Agent57 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

That would be Mo Farah.

Who? Never heard of him.
    Buy a paper tomorrow. :D

It is odd though - Bolt doesn't have to run 9900m slowly before being timed for his 100m. Cav has to cover 200km some days and then give it the beans.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • jae-so
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

That would be Mo Farah.

Who? Never heard of him.

It is odd though - Bolt doesn't have to run 9900m slowly before being timed for his 100m. Cav has to cover 200km some days and then give it the beans.

Why I don't like the term sprinter with Cav, too me he's an endurance rider with can go really fast. He's won a lot of stages, you can't do that without some all round skills, so he won't win any hill stages but he is still an endurance guy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jae-so wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

That would be Mo Farah.

Who? Never heard of him.

Why I don't like the term sprinter with Cav, too me he's an endurance rider with can go really fast. He's won a lot of stages, you can't do that without some all round skills, so he won't win any hill stages but he is still an endurance guy

He's only called a sprinter in the context of road racing which is always an endurance event.

It's not like he's ever on the same start line as chris hoy.
  • jae-so
    jae-so wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

That would be Mo Farah.

Who? Never heard of him.

He's only called a sprinter in the context of road racing which is always an endurance event.

It's not like he's ever on the same start line as chris hoy.

Yeh guess you have a point.

Quick question for a noob guys, Peter Sagan won the green jersey in the tour, I didn't see him win that many stages, so does that mean he just led the stages until they passed the sections with the most sprint points and then got overtaken by the breakaway or peloton?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He won a lot of stages (3!)

He also won a lot of intermediate sprints - either the breakaway hadn't got away at that point and he beat his nearest rivals, or the breakaway was small enough that there were points left, and he won those sprints, or he got into breakways himself to pick up the intermediate points.

He was also pretty consistent generally. Lots of 2nd, lots of top 5s etc. Though for sure, non-flat stages garner fewer green jersey points, they still count - so his second place into the stage into Foix also got him a fair bit.

The green jersey is almost always won by the most consistent flat stage finisher, rather than necessarily the fastest.

Zabel made a habbit out of winning the green jersey without winning SCORES of stages like Cavendish does. (though he obviously won a few on the way..)

Oscar Friere won green having won only one stage (and TBH, by the time he won the stage it was sown up by then).
  • jae-so
    kool thanks for clearing that up, yeh I saw he was consistently near the top, I'm just surprised he didn't finish higher in the overall if doing so well on the stages, I suppose he fell back on a lot of hills stages
  • Agent57
    There used to be separate jerseys for consistency (green) and intermediate sprints (red). Personally, I liked the distinction.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    No, just a lot of bandwaggon know-it-alls trying to challenge my knowledge.

At the beginning of the Tour, they needed explanations.

By the end, they were arguing the toss about things like attacking on the final day into Paris etc. :roll:

Yeah we've got one in our office, never even watched the tour, nor any cycling event. Watched the Olympics Men's road race and is now an expert.

It's hard work sometimes.

Is he called David Bond?