So. Many new people asking you for cycling advice?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Since the TDF/Olympics I have had 3 friends sheepishly ask for advice on getting into cycling.

"What bike type? Should I wear a helmet? Is it dangerous? Will I need a shower when I get to work?"

and my favourite

"Hey I was looking at this great bike but it says there's no pedals with it. WTF?"

Have you had the same experience?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    No, just a lot of bandwaggon know-it-alls trying to challenge my knowledge.

At the beginning of the Tour, they needed explanations.

By the end, they were arguing the toss about things like attacking on the final day into Paris etc. :roll:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have a walk-in surgery at my office.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Two girls have just bought bikes, someone in the office is going to start riding, another girl asked about going on a Sunday club run and now I'm organising a trip to Herne Hill for a few novice sessions!

I sense the few precious people who see cycling as their sport are going to get upset. :lol:

Have told a few people to not buy hybrids already, did they listen? no, are they now looking at roadies...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    I sense the few precious people who see cycling as their sport are going to get upset. :lol:
    Damnit iPete, you're single handedly flooding London with a wave of new nodders!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It's OK, I'll start them off with the learning FCNs
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    No, just a lot of bandwaggon know-it-alls trying to challenge my knowledge.

At the beginning of the Tour, they needed explanations.

By the end, they were arguing the toss about things like attacking on the final day into Paris etc. :roll:

Yeah we've got one in our office, never even watched the tour, nor any cycling event. Watched the Olympics Men's road race and is now an expert.

It's hard work sometimes.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    My advice would be:

1) Don't look at girlies on bikes whilst cycling
    2) Pedal furiously away when the lights change
    3) Always carry a roll-on deodorant with you. It could save your life.
  • clarkey cat
    "Why wasnt Chris Hoy in the road race? He is awesome."
  • rick_chasey

facepalm.jpg

Had this one a month ago.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    haha had this one today.

I quote

'If Hoy was in the road race I think we would have got a medal'
  • rick_chasey
    twist83 wrote:
    haha had this one today.

I quote

Did you respond with "f*ck my life" and just walk away?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I don't mind the 'which bike', 'which route', 'how do I start' questions, but getting really sick of explaining how Cav is a sprinter and Wiggins is an all-rounder.
    exercise.png
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TheStone wrote:
    I don't mind the 'which bike', 'which route', 'how do I start' questions, but getting really sick of explaining how Cav is a sprinter and Wiggins is an all-rounder.
    Yeah, I've had this a few times.
    and
    Does wind resistance really make that much of a difference?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    twist83 wrote:
    haha had this one today.

I quote

yeah, he is well good. I reckon i could beat him though. When i was kid i went down this hill so fast that the whole bike started shaking and wobbling.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    edited August 2012

I've had questions similar to this. For example, why was Cav only in one race? If Froome and Wiggins were good enough to ride the TT after the RR, why wasn't Cav in it as well. And why isn't he on the track if he's such a good sprinter. Reasonable enough questions though, and I just explained the differences in disciplines and stuff. Seemed to satisfy the questioner, anyway.

We did have about 4 or 5 new kids at the Go-Ride club last Saturday. I'm not coaching this weekend, but I dare say we'll have more kids coming along.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Like the people who can't wrap their head around the fact that although Mark Cavendish won more stages at the TdF this year, he still finished hours behind Wiggins!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Agent57 wrote:
    If Froome and Wiggins were good enough to ride the TT after the RR, why wasn't Cav in it as well. And why isn't he on the track if he's such a good sprinter..
    I have to say I don't quite understand why the Olympic track cycling doesn't include more events.

The swimming takes a full week and they have 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, and 1600m (?). In four different strokes, and some race where you do all four. And individual/team races. Cycling, three days: sprint, pursuit, team/individual, omnium, Keirin, scratch. Why no short/long time trial (1km, 5km, 10km, 25km)? What happened to the Madison? There must be others.

I mean, to quote the T-shirt: "2012: Bout f#cking time Stratford got a velodrome"... we might as well get value out of it!

Oh, and a serious question... Why do they always ride anti-clockwise?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • iPete wrote:

Nail, head. Cycling seems to attract these types far more than other sports, IME.

ETA: Bike 2 is currently on loan to a mate who is now very serious about ditching his hybrid for a proper bike, subject to the Domestic Spending Committee approving it. Also have a guy at work who is now seriously itching to sell his MTB and his entry-level Bianchi to get a serious road bike.

As always in this country, the winter is the big test for the newbies, but IMO it's a good thing that more people take up road biking, not a bad thing.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Nail, head. Cycling seems to attract these types far more than other sports, IME.

ETA: Bike 2 is currently on loan to a mate who is now very serious about ditching his hybrid for a proper bike, subject to the Domestic Spending Committee approving it. Also have a guy at work who is now seriously itching to sell his MTB and his entry-level Bianchi to get a serious road bike.

As always in this country, the winter is the big test for the newbies, but IMO it's a good thing that more people take up road biking, not a bad thing.

Who's saying it's a bad thing?

I can be honest enough to say that I'm not entirely comfortable with everyone suddenly having an opinion on something which was MY thing and know that's it's not cool to think that.

It's a strange feeling. My mates used to moan about me boring the t!ts off them with pro-cycling chat, and now they want to discuss the RR with me (well, more like argue a regurgitated argument lifted off the BBC website). Gets even worse when I see people saying things like "Wiggins, what a hero" when they were wondering why on earth I was harping on about the TdF route being good/tailor made for Wiggins in October.

It's not cool to think it, but I'd be lying if I said didn't feel it.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Reminds me of when D:Ream's "Things Can Only Get Better" slipped out of the clubs and into the mainstream consciousness. My sister was gutted.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I have a walk-in surgery at my office.

+1

So far the tally is one D-lock and one Genesis Equilibrium on suggested recommendations...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • clarkey cat
    ooh you scoundrel - recommending a Ridgeback! :wink:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    one D-lock on suggested recommendations...

Question: What if a driver shouts as me?
    Answer: D-lock the cnut?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    iPete wrote:

ETA: Bike 2 is currently on loan to a mate

CompetitiveSpitTakes0617-cropped-proto-custom_31-thumb-350xauto-20619.jpg

WHAT THE F*CK!!!

You loan out your bikes!? Do you know how long I've wanted to get a Cervelo between my legs. The gunmetal alu one you had prior to bike one, being one of my favourite looking bikes ever.

Is nothing sacred.

Anyway.... I like that people ask me questions about the sport I love. I hate when I hear people give bad advice, like oh you need to spend at least £2000 on carbon to get x benefit when the person only wants to commute.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    The rep from our printer accosted me to ask if he should get a Specialized or a Canondale. I told him to go for the 'Dale. Not for any particularly good reason, I was just busy and didn't want to get drawn too far on the subject. I don't even know if it was a road bike or MTB.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The rep from our printer accosted me to ask if he should get a Specialized or a Canondale. I told him to go for the 'Dale. Not for any particularly good reason, I was just busy and didn't want to get drawn too far on the subject. I don't even know if it was a road bike or MTB.

Snob

:lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    edited August 2012
    Agent57 wrote:

I've had questions similar to this. For example, why was Cav only in one race? If Froome and Wiggins were good enough to ride the TT after the RR, why wasn't Cav in it as well. And why isn't he on the track if he's such a good sprinter. Reasonable enough questions though, and I just explained the differences in disciplines and stuff. Seemed to satisfy the questioner, anyway.

We did have about 4 or 5 new kids at the Go-Ride club last Saturday. I'm not coaching this weekend, but I dare say we'll have more kids coming along.

Lol please share your answers, I'm a noob so I would like to know why Cav wasn't in the TT lol, my guess is he doesn't have the endurance, but you'd think with his speed he could sustain a fast ride for 27 miles
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    I've successfully persuaded someone not to get a folder, and not to look for a bike in his price range at Halfwits.

Someone else has reminded me that I predicted (a) the Wiggo will never be quite good enough to win the Tour* (b) top GC riders don't have a very good record in the Olympics the same year.

:oops:

But it shows that someone was listening.

*In my defence, I made this prediction with a couple of injured/suspended riders in mind, in 2010.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I spent hours explaining away the Tour at work. The closest analogy I could come up with was the famous motor sport of rallying.

The ToB is coming to my town (Nottingham) where I am a bus driver (sorry) and believe me I will be off that day. Lord knows I don't want to have to deal with the diversions etc from road closures. Explaining that away and being spat at afterwards will be fun I'm sure.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Mouth wrote:
    I spent hours explaining away the Tour at work. The closest analogy I could come up with was the famous motor sport of rallying.

The ToB is coming to my town (Nottingham) where I am a bus driver (sorry) and believe me I will be off that day. Lord knows I don't want to have to deal with the diversions etc from road closures. Explaining that away and being spat at afterwards will be fun I'm sure.
    Unless you are one of those bus drivers who pull out when indicating left, hang cyclists out to dry as you pull away, forget that you've overtaken a cyclist a picosecond after you've overtaken a cyclist or trap cyclists against the kerb as you pull in, why applogise?

Thread hijacking - but what are your colleagues like when it comes to cyclists? Is there a culture of irritation/hatred? (Please say no).