Gary Lineker

Full Merckx
Full Merckx Posts: 143
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Most popular forum by far, so an obvious source to develop a momentum to get rid of him. His interview of the shooter Peter Wilson was patronising in the extreme and this is just one example. Lets get appropriate commentators for every sport

Comments

• He should just stick to selling crisp's
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Claire Balding FTW.

And I'm not taking the p!ss. She's great.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Claire Balding FTW.

Balding is brilliant, as is Gaby Logan - her evening show is excellent.

Lineker is utterly embarrassing.
  • I'm enjoying Michael Johnson's analysis pieces.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    +1 to getting rid of Lineker (don't get me started on Alan Hansen) I thought Ian Thorpe was acting strange and not a very good commentator whilst with Lineker. Seems a different person completley with Claire Balding.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    d87heaven wrote:
    +1 to getting rid of Lineker (don't get me started on Alan Hansen) I thought Ian Thorpe was acting strange and not a very good commentator whilst with Lineker. Seems a different person completley with Claire Balding.

Baldings great, she gets passionate about everything and clearly put's Thorpe at ease, think Linekar is probably a bit of a homophobe, I've heard plenty of stories, being a local lad, about what an absolute up his own arse nobend he is. (no surprise really, womaniser, criminal brother etc)

Asking Boardman. 'There's nothing technical about a time trial is there? you just put your head down and pedal as fast as you can.'

:roll:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    LL - I thought he said "tactical", not "technical".
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    d87heaven wrote:

Baldings great, she gets passionate about everything and clearly put's Thorpe at ease, think Linekar is probably a bit of a homophobe, I've heard plenty of stories, being a local lad, about what an absolute up his own ars* nobend he is. (no surprise really, womaniser, criminal brother etc)

Asking Boardman. 'There's nothing technical about a time trial is there? you just put your head down and pedal as fast as you can.'

:roll:

At least he understands time trialling then. :wink:

Linekar interviewed Gemma Gibbons yesterday like talking to a child, I would like to see interviewers try and get a bit more technical, especially with something like judo, the rules of which aren't well known, but instead you get 'oh is it a dream? here's some tweets from people blah blah'.

I never used to like Balding but I think she is quite disarmingly sweet now, also what people have said about her reading up on whatever she is presenting about is encouraging. Logan can sod off though.
  • LeicesterLad
    johnfinch wrote:
    LL - I thought he said "tactical", not "technical".

Either way he's still wrong though! There definitely are tactics in professional Time Trialing - anyway, it was more the way he just made it sound like riders get on any old bicycle from the back of the garage and pedal really quickly from start to finish. Wasn't quite as bad as Mcenroe talking about how Cavendish shouldn't have let the 'break escape' if he wanted to win. :roll:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Gonna say he got TTing bob on did nt he? Even the Olympic one was a snoozefest until the last 4/5 riders.

I don't think he's that bad tbh, I ve seen a lot worse. The chat with the Canoeists with McEnroe and Johnson was quite good last night I thought.

Oh and LL? Ian Thorpe isnt gay!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    McEnroe should stick to tennis.

His brash NY ways work fine when he knows what he's talking about.

Michael Johnson always looks like he's desperately trying to hide the fact he thinks all non-running events are a joke.
  • d87heaven
    And as for Sharon Davies. What is going on with her face?
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • rick_chasey
    d87heaven wrote:

Have you been reading the mail?
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I don't mind Lineker as the anchor. He is better than the newsreaders they have on for the morning slots. Though agree Claire is stealing the show at the moment, she has been very good at the pool.

In fairness to Gary, until a Brit wins a medal he hasn't a clue if he will be interviewing someone from Judo to tennis to rowing to shooting etc. Whereas Claire is purely focused on the one sport at the moment.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Claire Balding FTW.

Definitely. I don't understand why people criticise her (well, I do but that just shows what an image obsessed world we live in). She always seems to have done her research as does Gabby Logan. Colin Murray on the radio is the same, a bit smug but he does take the trouble to find out about what he is commentating on
  • The only thing that irritates me about the evening highlights show is the way they set the action to music. I find it much better to watch it as a straight highlights show - the crowd is atmosphere enough without some silly tune dubbed over the top.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven wrote:

No, does it explain what has happened?
  • rick_chasey
    d87heaven wrote:
    d87heaven wrote:

No, does it explain what has happened?

Just seems akin to their behaviour.

Passing nasty judgements about the way women look.
  • Claire Balding FTW.

She is extremely good - who would have thought that employing an experienced, intelligent, conscientious professional journalist/presenter ahead of a former sportsman who middle aged women like would have paid off so well!

Inverdale never disappoints either, and the 5Live crew in general.
  • d87heaven
    Oh I see, you doing a bit of stereotyping whilst making assumptions eh?

No I was wondering if she had a mini stroke or something as Sharon Davies is a fine looking woman but she seems to have a squinty eye or maybe gone the botox route? He interveiwing style seems a bit lacking.

I suppose the trouble is that some of these sports never get shown so sport specific commentators are out of practice. Perhaps the olympics and the TDF win will change that? I would pay to get football off the tv and have more athletics/cycling/swimming etc.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Claire Balding FTW.

She is extremely good - who would have thought that employing an experienced, intelligent, conscientious professional journalist/presenter ahead of a former sportsman who middle aged women like would have paid off so well!

Inverdale never disappoints either, and the 5Live crew in general.

Can't stand Inverdale!
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    Gonna say he got TTing bob on did nt he? Even the Olympic one was a snoozefest until the last 4/5 riders.

I don't think he's that bad tbh, I ve seen a lot worse. The chat with the Canoeists with McEnroe and Johnson was quite good last night I thought.

Oh and LL? Ian Thorpe isnt gay!

s'not what my gaydar says. :lol:
  • I've tended to do my best to avoid any of the the presenters... Jake Humphries makes me want to hurt people.

I will say this though, Balding is excellent on the BBCs Rugby League coverage.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Copied from my post on the "new cycling presenter" thread

Claire Balding stands head and shoulders above ANY of the other presenters that the Beeb have there. It's not a surprise that Thorpe has come out (oooerrrr) of his shell with her rather than that fuckwit Lineacre (good old Mick Channon!) who should be benched NOW.

Johnson, McEnroe and Thorpe have been brilliant. To get such high quality insight into not just their own sports but also the mind of an elite athlete is exceptional and the BBC must be praised. However I have grave doubts as to whether any of them really enjoy sharing a studio with Lineker, Barker and some of the other egotistical has beens. Jake Humphreys shows some promise as does Gabby. But for fark sake promote Colin Murray. Anyone who listens to 5-live knows how much quality this bloke has and how capable he is, remember the Graeme Obree interview?

The final nail in the coffin for Lineker should have been last night when he had the rowing and judo medallists in the studio and DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEIR NAMES!!! He's had fark all to do all day except watch the telly and make a few notes. No preparation. Truly shocking. Even Johnson and McEnroe showed more genuine interest and knowledge in OUR medallists.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh, and Cav was ok but Jamie Staff was excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anybody seen Maurice Greene on Eurosport? Any cop?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    But for fark sake promote Colin Murray.

Oh please god, no!!!!! Anymore of the ubiquitous 'Cln Mrrry' and his cheesy local radio, 'Yoof' oriented verbal diarrhea and I'll be puuting my foot through the TV.
  • Tanni grey knows her stuff and seems genuinely interested in the competitors - and yes I would.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    bartman100 wrote:
    But for fark sake promote Colin Murray.

Oh please god, no!!!!! Anymore of the ubiquitous 'Cln Mrrry' and his cheesy local radio, 'Yoof' oriented verbal diarrhea and I'll be puuting my foot through the TV.

S'funny 'cos that's exactly what I used to think about him but having listened to a lot more of him as he's slowly taken over the airwaves you realise that he's a broadcasting chameleon and is able to morph very nicely between what's expected for each audience. As I said, go back and listen to the Graeme Obree interview and see if you think anyone else would have got anything like the quality of response, and that's not the only example. The series he did going round interviewing all the surviving British Olympic gold medallists was excellent. Have a listen to the Rebecca Romero interview from that and see how comfortable she is talking to him about stuff that is clearly uncomfortable for her. His summary comments afterwards are very good as well. He's really matured as a journalist/presenter from the dreadful R1 wannabe that he was.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    Fair points. He is talented I agree. Personally, I can't stand his matey style or nasal delivery. I wish he wouldn't announce and then wrap up every new bulletin with 'Here's your News'....'and now your up to date'. Fecking infuriating.
  • wormo
    wormo Posts: 30
    +1 with what LeicesterLad said. Other half who didn't know who he was asked 'who's the gay guy was who starts every sentence with "LOOK"'. As an aside as a gay guy have enjoyed the mens swimming!!! :wink: