longest ride so far

2»

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Bit of a dip at the moment due to the Olympics and the rubbish weather but I'm in the group with you guys
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    No one can tell you if you are doing too much. When I smoked 2 years back, a 5 mile ride nearly killed me. I was averaging about 8 MPH, 9 MPH if I really tried!

Now its the same effort to bike 25 miles, up Snake Pass and back. OK I didn't tonight because it was getting cold and dark, I got about 10% up and turned back, but its 20 miles still.

If you feel like you just can't face another ride that long the next day, leave it 1 or 2 days. I did 25 miles and had 2 days rest and did 20 miles and I smoked for 20 years (only quit 4 months ago, still getting my diet good etc). So I dunno, but I think under 10 miles a day for some, fat loss will be impossible although you will get fitter.

Some riders do really short rides really often, but do them really fast. They always have massive calves. I hate those riders. They usually fly past me when I am wheeling home from a 30 miler. :lol:
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    just beat my longest ride and feel great..

43 miles today averaging 16mph

well on track for my first 100k ride

really great feeling..
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Coldcorn
    Coldcorn Posts: 36
    Good work! Keep it up!
    Bikes:
    Felt F2 Di2 [2012]
    Verenti Millook
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Well done! Keep it up. For 123kg (did I read that right?) you're doing amazing.

I regularly ride just a few miles NorthWest of you, so I know how hilly it is around our neck of the woods.

I would just be very cautious about upping your volume & intensity too soon... be very wary of picking up an overuse injury.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    35 miles on the tarka trail today at 14mph. would have been quicker if not for recreational cyclists, walkers and dogs. my bell was white hot by the end. isnt it weird how old folks often dont hear it?
  • Well done, that's a good average speed for 5 weeks of riding!

Keep going!
  • cgamble
    cgamble Posts: 8
    I'm a little behind some of you guys here, currently on my third week of rides and just rode my furthest today at 17 miles. Averaged 15mph but I'm not looking at the speed of things, I'm more concerned with working towards 25 miles and then 50 before joining my local club.

Would you guys say that a training plan is really useful when building base endurance, or just to get out as much as possible and make sure you warm up/down?
  • pinarellokid
    i just keep going out,, several 12-15 mle rides then a big un thrown in,,,

plenty of water and take your time
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

• Ringo 68 wrote:
    There is not cat in hells chance you have used 1800+ calories in 23 miles of riding. Probably less 800.

Well done on the ride though, just don't believe the calorie count on you computer, it is miles out.

Dont be so sure, for most of you sub 13 stone boys I completely agree, but as per the OP I am not exactly wingginsesque myself hauling around 18.5 stone too. When my Neighbour ( who is 12 stone) and I do the same ride using the same and different software, my calorie count is always about 50% higher. Not saying he did burn 1800+ calories, but he would have certainly burnt more than the average rider on here. Besides, whats the point of picking holes in his workout if its motivating Him to do more?
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Wanted to add my two penneth in on this thread as there seem to be a few people in the same boat as me.

3 years ago I started running and used to do regular 7-10 mile runs but my knees are shot, so after a year of doing no exercise I got a road bike last weekend.

Did a 15 mile last Sat, 30 miles last Sun and then a 40 mile today. Mainly in rural Northumberland so always a few hills along the way, but so far I haven't done any extended steep climbing. Also been riding solo so no escape from the wind !

Average speed on the 40 miler was 15.5mph, but at the moment I'm more interested in endurance and distance than speed.

And I'm in my mid 30's and a similar build to Chris Froome. 6ft 1 and just over 11 stone.

Think it's safe to say I've definitely got the cycling bug !
  • pinarellokid
    Secteur wrote:
    Well done! Keep it up. For 123kg (did I read that right?) you're doing amazing.

I regularly ride just a few miles NorthWest of you, so I know how hilly it is around our neck of the woods.

I would just be very cautious about upping your volume & intensity too soon... be very wary of picking up an overuse injury.

119 now,,, no injuries as of yet, but i do make sure i only do longer rides once a week and ride every other day..

hopefully that way i will keep injury at bay

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    Well my longest ride now stands at 68 miles (the York 100km) riding time was 4hrs 43mins not counting refreshment stops.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    I'm another one that seems to be in a similar position to the others on here.

I have just got back on my bike properley after a few years off. I used to ride to work all the time but this got too much when I changed jobs as a 45 mile commute just wasn't sensible. Recent events have seen me enter a 100k sportive on the 9th of september, so I've ordered a new bike (hopefully be here this week) and started to do some training on my old hybrid. Not being a small lad, 6'3" and around 130kgs (but I have been an active all round cricketer for years, and no-one ever believes I weigh as much as I do), I am building up to some longer rides. I did four 19 mile rides last week, and I am stepping it up to 25 mile rides this week.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Jeez, 100k in a couple of weeks having only done 19 milers, anx im flapping about the 46 mile sportive im doing sunday a d ive done two or three 35 milers