longest ride so far

pinarellokid
pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
hi all just finished my longest ride so far at 23 miles

loved every minute of it, and if im honest could have gone further..

did pick up pins and needles in my hands on the way but managed to work out if i shook them away i was ok..

if im honest i did suffer a little with saddle comfort but not chaffing just aching..

i used the cycleplus app to follow my progress and it tells me the following
ride time 1.25.11
distance 23.21 miles
average 16.35mph
fastest 30.55mph
calories 1835

there was a couple of hills in there, but nothing major. im booked in to ride the manchester 100k ride in 4 weeks
so got a long way to go but feel very happy with todays result.

not bad for 5 weeks of riding on the road and being 123kg

loving it..
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    There is not cat in hells chance you have used 1800+ calories in 23 miles of riding. Probably less 800.

Well done on the ride though, just don't believe the calorie count on you computer, it is miles out.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • well done - the manc rides are great - virtually pan flat. Thats a great average for the ride too.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Well done on building your miles and for signing up for the Manchester 100. I'm also doing that ride and am on the 7am start time.

Ringo is right about your calorie count. The phone apps use very dodgy calculations and are always way out. You need a HRM linked to a cycle computer to get a truer read. I would say that an hours cycling at the average speed you quoted would be closer to 800 calories.

Keep at it and I'm sure you'll be ready come Sept 2nd
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Just to give you an idea of calories getting burnt and to make sure you don't ruin all that good work with a big pizza.

My last ride was 21.8 miles (with a couple of hills) at an average of 16.1 mph and burnt 739 calories. You wont be far off that figure.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    Don't forget he'll be burning a larger number of calories because he is a bigger chap, those calculators normally take body weight into account.

Well done on your first long ride!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • Well done; I'm sure we all remember our first rides of that length. Keep up the good work. :)

What saddle and shorts are you using? A bit of minor discomfort is relatively normal, and your tolerance will grow, but there's a chance that you could improve. Most people don't find their perfect perch first time.
  • It might be worth checking your profile in your app. That might make a difference to your calories burnt. Mine had me down as 2ft 6" tall and weighing over 20 stone :mrgreen: I burn less calories now I've put my weight etc in properly.

My goal is similar to yours - I'm hoping to do 70 miles in 8 weeks time and I've only been riding about 3 weeks. My saddle discomfort is my limiting factor at the moment, so I've only done 13 miles but I can't wait to get more miles under my belt. Like you, no chaffing but feel rather 'bruised'. I've spent all afternoon reading the forums (and watching the Olympics) and think I'll fiddle with saddle position and try to man up :D
  • similar to me, I have a 80 mile planned on the 8th September, did 38 miles last week end, that said could not have turned around and done it again! plan on a 45mile ride this weekend. Plan to to train to 60 and hopefully that should get me fit enough to do the 80
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Nice one, well done.
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    Well done and good luck with the Man 100.
    I signed up for the York 100(km) thats in 2 weeks time. I've done quite a few 30/40 milers, and my longest ride so far is 52 miles. So I reckon i should be ok, as long as i take it steady.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • pinarellokid
    Well you certainly gave me a pat on the back lads thanks for that
    I'm gonna try and do a 35 mile on sat ,, see how I get on
    Thanks for the support there really helps
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

• Thinking of doing the 100k myself but was unsure I am ready I have been riding 2 months and started at 6miles and have just achieved 42miles in one go last week with 1500ft of elevation. My standard ride is now 25-30 miles 3 times a week roughly.
    Well done on your ride.
  • rubyrider wrote:
    Mine had me down as 2ft 6" tall and weighing over 20 stone :mrgreen:

:lol: I'm trying to imagine what that person might look like, but so far failing!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would say that you have done great for having just started, but if you are planning on 100K in a months time then you need to do a ride of 40-50 miles as soon as possible. There is a threshold there in terms of time on the bike vs comfort and effecient bike fit vs muscle fatigue and fueling vs energy levels that you wont have crossed until you do something like that distance - and one which may (or may not if you are lucky) cause you to review your bike setup, saddle position, saddle, bar setup, technique, food/drink strategy and all sorts of stuff. Dont leave it too late to cross that threshold that you dont have time to make any adjustments that result.

Its perfectly do-able, but you shouldnt expect to be training massively in the last week, so you really only have 3 weeks to get ready.

Dont want to be a downer - you are obviously pretty fit to start with to get to that average over that distance, but fitness is only part of the equation.

If you can get to 40-50 miles quickly then the step up to 100K wont be so bad (IMO) - and when you do a milestone like 50 miles or 100K it feels really good. Good luck!
  • rubyrider wrote:
    Mine had me down as 2ft 6" tall and weighing over 20 stone :mrgreen:

:lol: I'm trying to imagine what that person might look like, but so far failing!

An Oompa-Loompa with a 30 year service medal working for Willy Wonka :D
  • pinarellokid
    il keep getting the rides in and see how i get on, i have no doubt i will finish this 100k, its all a matter of the time it takes. and remembering the smile..

Just may make myself a little fitter in the process.

• mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    I've done 30 miles 2 days running now. ave speed was a bit higher today which i was pleased about mainly cos the route i went on today had as many climbs but not as many long down hill sections so my max speed was down to 31mph from 38mph but the average speed .05mph better

going for a ride with a club on sunday if its dry.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Well done matey!

There's quite a few of us local to you, myself included, should you ever want someone with you for a slightly longer ride...
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    A 50 mile ride out of Chester planned for tomorrow morning if anyone is close and fancies it. Leaving Hoole Hall at 10am
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • just done a 50 this morning, bristol out to Berkely and back, missed most of the rain. hopefully stretch this to 60 next weekend. I think thats as far that i need to train to for an 80 miler sportive.
  • pinarellokid
    Secteur wrote:
    Well done matey!

There's quite a few of us local to you, myself included, should you ever want someone with you for a slightly longer ride...
    thats really good of you...

i did 24 again today, and plan to do the loop 3 times tomorrow.. so 36 miles.

if im honest i could have done the 36 today as i felt good, but i am on a 12 hour night shift tonight.

need to find some different routes if im honest as the boredome sets in ..

if anyone has any ideas for mcr routes that would be great.

here is a link to the route im currently doing

https://maps.google.com/?q=http://share ... 4-1414.kml

• Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    average 16.35mph

You kick the pants off me then.

I did 25.80 miles today - to the top of Snake Pass and back.

Time: 2:06:23

Average speed - don't even ask, OK 12.2MPH :roll:

The thing is I am 10st 11lbs (if anything, underweight).

I estimated that it burned maybe 1000 cals but even that is high. Then again I went up a 3.3 mile hill at 7% gradient so maybe it was 1000 cals.

For me this is the only way (doing 25 miles at a time, if possible every day)

They say "little and often" but IMO if it is possible to do it, why not just do 25 miles every day? I mean for a guy that finds it pretty tough. You can push your body way more than most people think!

Came home to see Team GB winning a load of medals again. :mrgreen:
  • pinarellokid
    Good god top of the snake pass is a killer of a ride to do
    You should be proud fella

Bet your a demon on the flats

• pinarellokid
    Secteur wrote:
    Well done matey!

Might just take you up on the one day ,!!!!

Just need to get myself a little fitter and get a few miles under my tyres first
    But very genuine of you pal

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    With regards to finding new routes, have a look on Mapmyride, you can search for routes in your area, that other cyclists have posted up. I often use it to plan routes i'm going to try, or map routes for distances i'm aiming for. Even if you don't want to ride any of the routes, it will give you an idea of popular cycling roads.

This morning i did a 28 mile ride on some great quiet roads, with an average of 14mph, could have done more. But i'm planning to go out tomorrow afternoon too, as i've got an early finish from work!
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • pinarellokid
    thanks for that,, il take a look.

just come back from what i thought would be 30 miles, but turned out to be 27.6

average 16.25.mph

but it was hard work the last 4 mile.

am i doing too much ..???

sat 24mile and sun 27 mile ????

might have monday as a rest day

• The big difference I've found to recovery is getting a roller and working on the legs/back after a ride - it makes a big difference to how my legs feel the next day.

Have you got a plan? There's loads out there that are structured and include rest days etc.
  • pinarellokid
    no plan just building up the miles without going silly

may do a search for one

• BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    Did 19.7 miles today (I'm calling it 20 ;) ) the longest I've done so far (Previous best was 13.8 a week ago).

Chuffed with myself, and well ahead of my training schedule. Average MPH was 11.5 but I'm not bothered about that, the fitter I get the faster I get so I'm a very happy (but very sore) chappy tonight :)
  • pinarellokid
    brilliant to see lots of people in the same group as me so to speak, certainly makes me feel not alone.. loving the riding and really impressed with the results, we are all getting.

cant wait to get out there again on Tuesday...