MTB in the olympics.

2»

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    njee20 wrote:
    I can't see us hosting the winter olympics but that doesn't mean it gets cancelled.

Aye, that's something different entirely! I think it's a valid point, a DH course requires a lot of elevation that plenty of places just wouldn't be able to provide.

MTB is so far down the list of IOC priorities that I can't see any extra disciplines getting included! Bit of a shame, but hey ho.

Some facebook site I subscribe to asked about getting surfing into the olympics - I said the same thing basically, not every country can host a surf event for the olympics so it cannot be in the olympics - mtb xc sure everyone can find terrain to host a race, DH not so much, surfing - nope.

Same as winter olympics - UK cant host winter games as with the best will in the world scotland aint gonna have the snow or elevation to host most events so we wont bother.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Other than Holland, what other countries that could realistically host an Olympic Games would not be able to host a DH event?

I see Qatar and Dubai are vying for 2024. No idea if the have many mountains but it seems a bloody hot place to be holding an Olympics in the 1st place!!.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Fantastic course and fantastic racing. I think I could manage a lap or two cause it does look so hard.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Other than Holland, what other countries that could realistically host an Olympic Games would not be able to host a DH event?

Olympics are hosted by cities, not countries. Plenty of cities with no mountains, like London... Not gonna get Fort William as a venue for a London Games!
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    njee20 wrote:

Olympics are hosted by cities, not countries. Plenty of cities with no mountains, like London... Not gonna get Fort William as a venue for a London Games!

Hmmmm.... didn't know Weymouth was in London ;-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • njee20
    Wow, are we still gonna go through this!

One of the main things London brought was the tight spread of venues, the IOC are really hot on such things. Sailing was in the closest appropriate venue, which was Weymouth. There was also competition there for most of the 2 weeks of the games, not two 5 minute races like DH would be. Plus... Weymouth is a wee bit closer than Fort William!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    There were a couple of football matches held in Newcastle. St James Park - closest appropriate venue?
    Six 90 minute matches - not a lot really.

njee20 - your argument is flawed.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Well i reckon if they took the power walking out of the games and rhytmic gymnastics then wed have a fair sized gap for more xc and we need more xc riders out their but i guess that's just not going to happen as we just don't get the support in this country .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • njee20
    There were a couple of football matches held in Newcastle. St James Park - closest appropriate venue?
    Six 90 minute matches - not a lot really.

Yes, a few of the matches for the heats, all of the big matches held at Wembley. There were a few reasons for this - most notably because you need a lot of venues for the football because of all the matches - hence it starting before the opening ceremony. You need special Olympic Route Network designation (primary and secondary) to each venue. If you do that for 6 London venues you end up shutting down the whole of London even more than they already did, purely to host one (insignificant) event.

I assure you it's not a flawed argument, it's not even an argument, it's a fact, I worked on the logistics for the Olympics a few years ago.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    njee20 wrote:
    [football...](insignificant) event.
    I'm starting to like you more and more :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Football is now really the only event that is insignificant. Euro and Worlds are their pinnicle.