MTB in the olympics.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited August 2012 in The hub
Could any of you knowledgable lot be able to tell me when the XC event takes place please?

Even though I'm a roadie. :wink:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• 11th and 12th Aug. 11th is the womens and 12th is Mens. Looking at the course, as a roadie you should love it. ;)
    Maybe Cav should trade in his funny bike and he'd be in with a chance of getting in the medals.

I'm rather looking forward to the BMX though on 8th, 9th and 10th. That should be much more fun to watch.
  • Thanks for that fella, It's not the most exciting of the cycling diciplines to watch but none the less I would like to see some of it.

I hope we win everything but BMX, is something I struggle to take seriously and I'm quite aware of how fit the competitors have to be.

Cheers.
    Tail end Charlie

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I hope we win everything but BMX
    Nice attitude :lol:

Learn to use punctuation properly, it's the difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t.
  • I hope we win everything but BMX
    Nice attitude :lol:

Learn to use punctuation properly, it's the difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t.

Fair play, popped the old comma in a word late.
    Tail end Charlie

• I watched Hoy ride in circles earlier, was mildly entertaining.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some of the XC course looks like it might cause a few entertaining moments, but are few and far between.
  • I watched Hoy ride in circles earlier, was mildly entertaining.

GTFO!
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    I watched Hoy ride in circles earlier, was mildly entertaining.

GTFO!

Sorry but I've got to agree with the Monkey Boy - the power that Hoy lad puts out is totaaaaallllly amaaazin.

One thing I'm sure of - I wouldn't like to fight him :oops:
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I'm quite aware of how fit the competitors have to be.

Cheers.

Shanaze Read is well fit innit
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'm going :)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Does team GB have any potential winners in XC?
    The road and track guys are fairly well known, but I have no idea what the score is with XC racing.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Annie Last is being mentioned and Liam Killeen would be a very outside chance of a medal from what ive read.

Think either would really have to be swept along on a wave of patriotism to win something given normal circumstance, but stranger things have happened
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I see. So XC is the weak link in British Cycling then, considering we seem to be right at the top of everything else.
    Still, good luck to them, eh?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    To get a win in MTB would just top off the immense success of Team GBs cycling record this year. I'd love to see it happen.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, we're pretty crap at XC on a global stage frankly! Annie Last is the best rider we've had in the last 10 years.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    Yep, we're pretty crap at XC on a global stage frankly! Annie Last is the best rider we've had in the last 10 years.
    I blame you. You're an XC racer - get better, quickly. Come on, you've got almost a week.
    Shame on you, letting out country down.
  • njee20
    I'm trying dammit!

The speed Liam Killen was going when he lapped me in the Nat Champs suggests I've got a way to go :oops:
  • VWsurfbum
    I was watching the Adventure show back on the IPlayer yesterday with Fort Bill and i was saying i'd like to go next year, and she said i didnt realise that you did that sort of stuff, i said that i didnt but would want to try. then she said, i dunno why you dont do these types of racing so you can be on TV. :roll:
    Anyway my point is, however fast i think i'm going, there is always someone faster! i got passed last year at one of the brass monkies races when i was going full chat on a tech section thinking "ha i'm owning this" only to be left in seconds by some Lycra lout :(
    I still enjoy it though.

Did i mention that i'm going on sunday :?:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    Me too, and looking forward to it. Went out riding with the Guam entrant last week!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If something has to go to make room for more mtb then maybe we could get rid of power walking, that's got to be the gayest event going.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    I'm trying dammit!
    :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    on that BBC show, they asked Tracey Mosely abbout getting DH into the Olympics, and her response was something like, not all countries would be able to host it, so its because of that and some other bits
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • oodboo
    I can't see us hosting the winter olympics but that doesn't mean it gets cancelled.

Strava
  • VWsurfbum
    yeah but thats a different event entirely!
    Milton Keynes has a snow dome, i'm sure they could host it?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    I can't see us hosting the winter olympics but that doesn't mean it gets cancelled.

Aye, that's something different entirely! I think it's a valid point, a DH course requires a lot of elevation that plenty of places just wouldn't be able to provide.

MTB is so far down the list of IOC priorities that I can't see any extra disciplines getting included! Bit of a shame, but hey ho.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    As much as I love watching DH racing, I honestly couldn't back anyone trying to add it to the Olympics as it is now.
    There's too many riders, even those within the top 10 riders in the world who are self-admittedly "crap at pedalling".
    I'm sorry, but if you're a pro athlete at the top of your game, then that's just pathetic. They will never win by any means except dumb luck or fluke, against those riders who are pushing themselves in all aspects of the sport.
    It's shameful, frankly, and I'm not surprised that any governing body fails to see it as a serious sport.
  • oodboo
    As much as I love watching DH racing, I honestly couldn't back anyone trying to add it to the Olympics as it is now.
    Too much partying and, smuggling aside, not enough drugs controversy for it to be taken seriously.

Strava
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Believe it or not, it's only really us Britz that hold DH in such high regard, Globally, XC is a much bigger draw. Many more spectators went to Champery for the XC than the DH last year*. The Trouble is it's so difficult to film and tbh, looks so crap even when it is filmed that it's boring to watch on Telly.

*no I can't remember where I read it/heard it/made it up!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    oodboo wrote:
    If something has to go to make room for more mtb then maybe we could get rid of power walking, that's got to be the gayest event going.

Dressage is the gayest
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Majski wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

Dressage is the gayest

Even the horses are!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris