No wonder Wiggo keeps winning

nochekmate
nochekmate Posts: 3,460
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Just seen the set-up on one of Wiggo's bike, which is apparently being sold on eBay - clearly the Team Sky mechanics have found the set-up for the future!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bradley-Wiggi ... 2c67309c46

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Won in a competition and wants over £10,000 for it. WAC
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Opportunist t0sser
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd sell it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I don't know what you guys are on about...

The 10 K request is fair and not that far off the cost of the same bike without Wiggins written on it and certificate. Personally I wouldn't bother with ebay and would try to sell it at a proper auction... right now it might sell for well in excess of 10K.

We all enter competitions, he won something he can do without... there are people selling kidneys, this is just a bike...
    left the forum March 2023
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I'd sell it too, I wouldn't dare ride it, it's too big for an ornament and I could do much better things with 10k
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Plus 1! "Someone owns something and wants to sell it" shocker :lol:

I mean seriously, you win a competition and that somehow means that if you don't want to keep the item you have to sell it cheaply to someone else? I think some forum members are on crack.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    That seat is lower than my nans nips and those bars? WHAT THE HELL?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522

The 10 K request is fair and not that far off the cost of the same bike without Wiggins written on it and certificate. Personally I wouldn't bother with ebay and would try to sell it at a proper auction... right now it might sell for well in excess of 10K.

We all enter competitions, he won something he can do without... there are people selling kidneys, this is just a bike...

Yeah, like you say if it was ebayed with the highest bid then fair play, it cost him nothing and whatever it goes for is a bonus. Agreed, someone may pay way over £10k for it.
  • lakeland
    lakeland Posts: 76
    Presume the bars and seat are like that due to transit, and the person selling literally doesn't have a clue so left it like that?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'd ride it if I won it.

Wiggo is 6' 3" isn't he? so it might not fit me at 6"... but I'm assuming that he's running a pro-fit with a long stem.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Opportunist t0sser

Why? He won something in a competition and is choosing to sell it. The bike might not fit him. He might just need / want the money. Why has this bothered you so much?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    WTF has he done with the bars? It really annoys me when people don't have a clue about obvious stuff.....

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    Lets hope it bombs out and no one buys it, and this guy has to pay a fortune in listing fees. There are far too many people entering these competitions to sell the item, and blatantly have no intention or use for the item, other than to make money and rip it away from people who genuinely want to get the item from a competition. This is just like the people who flood Lidl and buy a batch of cycling gear, and sell it on Ebay for double the price :cry:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Whoever won it , I suspect has no real feelings about our sport.. saddens me.. obviously the bike's bars were dropped like that to give the kid a ride.. so it ends up on Ebay.... why enter a competition when you don't give a t0ss about the prize and just want the money? unless they are up sheet creek financially?
    I really hope they regret selling this in 10 years time.
    For me Dogmas are not out there in the beauty stakes in top end bikes, but still, I wish I hadnt read this thread now.
  • kanto
    JGSI wrote:
    Whoever won it , I suspect has no real feelings about our sport.. saddens me.. obviously the bike's bars were dropped like that to give the kid a ride.. so it ends up on Ebay.... why enter a competition when you don't give a t0ss about the prize and just want the money? unless they are up sheet creek financially?
    For me Dogmas are not out there in the beauty stakes in top end bikes, but still, I wish I hadnt read this thread now.

That is the problem, no honour, no values, no morals, left in most of today's world. Really poor show indeed!
  • Perhaps the winner was hoping for whatever was the second prize and ended up with this pile of shi*e :roll:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Dont these comps usually have terms that you cannot sell the prize for a certain time period. I wounder if the Times are aware of this?
  • kanto
    NITR8s wrote:
    Dont these comps usually have terms that you cannot sell the prize for a certain time period. I wounder if the Times are aware of this?

Hmmm yeah, good point, but if he sells it privately he could get away with it. If people do this kind of thing in the future, they won't bother running the competitions anymore. I'd much rather see the bike sold off for charity, than have it go for a competition and have some sniper like this make a fortune off of it.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I'd sell it.

10k is a nice chunk of a house deposit.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    I have entered competitions in the past and won something that was of no use/ held no attraction for me/ I had no interest in.

I may have entered hoping for one of the other prizes.

I may have entered in amoment of boredom at work whilst reading whatever the competition was in.

Either way, once the item is won it is yours to do as you see fit.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't be able to understand this or would get angry that someone who didn't want it had got it.

He's selling it for what he believes it's worth and if someone else is happy to pay the asking price ultimately both parties will be happy.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    The guy has won the bike fairly in a comp, it`s up to him what he does with it
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Man sells somehting he owns........... so what.
    Personally, I'd keep it, but I like cycling. Perhaps the winner just thougth he'd enter the comp and happened to win.

It's listed with EPS though, doesn't look much like it to me !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I'd ride it if I won it.

Wiggo is 6' 3" isn't he? so it might not fit me at 6"... but I'm assuming that he's running a pro-fit with a long stem.

I think i read somewhere he tends to use a 58cm road frame.
  • I recently won a competition, whereby I won about £1500 worth of prizes. Part of the prize was two annual memberships to Hickstead, not being at all interested in horses, I asked if I was allowed to transfer them. It was met with no objections. Can't see why it should be any different for this guy.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Good for him. I hope gets more than £10k and the bike goes to someone who wants it.

Maybe the seller will buy two bikes for himself and his son.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I'd sell too. Much bigger things can be done with £10K.

Judging by the bands above the rear brake and the standard chainrings, I assume it was a spare bike from early 2012. Probably never been used.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I would sell without any worries.

He entered the competition and won and it is his to do with as he sees fit. (can you imagine the outcry from some people if they saw this guy puffing up a hill? They'd have a fit before they congratulated him on winning it, easier for them to think 'all the gear no idea')

I hope he enjoys the money, and as someone else suggested, buys a bike each for the whole family.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I wouldnt sell it.

I'd display it in the front room, where the missus usually sits.

And I'd touch it inappropriately as often as I could.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    kanto wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

That is the problem, no honour, no values, no morals, left in most of today's world. Really poor show indeed!

Perhaps he'll send each of you a few quid for stepladders to get off your high horses.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Secteur wrote:
    I wouldnt sell it.

I'd display it in the front room, where the missus usually sits.

And I'd touch it inappropriately as often as I could.
    And it won't slap your hand away and sulk!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac