cyclist killed - opinions on helmets,blame and education

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Someone died. Horribly and tragically. Can you lot shut up and have a little respect?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Terrible news.

My condolences to the family and friends.

I will never understand why anyone would ever ride down the inside of something bigger than a white van (And even then i try not to). This could so easily have been avoided if that account is correct. Just some simple road sense
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    With media training Wiggins might have remained more objective and kept his more personal opinions to himself. Like it or not his new stature means he has to be careful about what he says in public about cycling and the sport in general.

Being as outspoken as he is will eventually land him in trouble ruin his public image. Not least you of which, what he has been reported as saying may come across as insensitive to the lay person.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I felt a chill go down my spine when I heard this news. It really does hit home, such a horrific accident to happen while doing something we all love.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wiggins, if he is going to be the face man of British cycling, needs media training.
    Not to make it about Wiggins but the last thing we need is more people with fecking 'media training'.
    I'd prefer to hear him say that he thinks helmets should be made compulsory, then ideally someone similarly high profile will say that they're not and it'd have made no difference, then maybe people will discuss or argue the points and come up with a few suggestions that actually might make cycling safer rather than a couple of utterly pointless media safe soundbites.

That said, whatever the circumstances, it's tragic news and thoughts with those that know the rider.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wiggins, if he is going to be the face man of British cycling, needs media training.
    Not to make it about Wiggins but the last thing we need is more people with fecking 'media training'.
    I'd prefer to hear him say that he thinks helmets should be made compulsory, then ideally someone similarly high profile will say that they're not and it'd have made no difference, then maybe people will discuss or argue the points and come up with a few suggestions that actually might make cycling safer rather than a couple of utterly pointless media safe soundbites.

That said, whatever the circumstances, it's tragic news and thoughts with those that know the rider.
    +1 On all counts.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Its Sky News - take it with a massive pinch of salt.

Tragic for the family and harrowing account from the eye-witness. This has really upset what should have been a wonderful day for cycling. Huge condolences. Very sad.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    daviesee wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1 On all counts.

+1

Media "training" just turns people into question dodging sit on the fence politician types. Wiggins has his views on helmets and whether relevant to this case or not they are still his views.

My heart just sank when I saw this one the BBC news site and then when Lineker read it out on the olympic show..... I just wanted to cry. Such a sad thing to happen on what should have been a great day for cycling.

There is a clear recurring theme with cyclists riding up the inside of big vehicles and deaths. If I didn't keep an eye on this forum then I wouldn't know about the dangers. There needs to be a serious campaign about this, it happens way too often.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    pete54 wrote:
    His comments made me furious. He may have made them off the cuff but I think he needs to give a more considered response when he's sobered up. The reality is that the news headlines are 'brad says cyclists should be compelled to wear helmets', the implication being that if we all do then the roads will suddenly become a safe place to be.

The roads may not be safer but it'll give a layer of protection that one day you might need.

It was an on the spot reaction give him a break FFS.

As for media training DDD get a life will you.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    dhope wrote:
    Some very sensible and laudable words

RIP to the cyclist who, apparently as a direct result of his own actions, got himself killed. This is another terribly depressing example of the dangers of cycling in the city without adequate training/experience.

Cycling through major cities, especially ones like London that were designed and built before traffic volumes increased to their current levels, is inherently dangerous.

Wearing helmets makes it safer. Quality equipment makes it safer. Good training makes it safer. Experience makes it safer. Confident positioning makes it safer. Thinking makes it safer. I fail to understand counter-arguments.

My condolences to his family.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    vermin wrote:
    dhope wrote:

RIP to the cyclist who, apparently as a direct result of his own actions, got himself killed. This is another terribly depressing example of the dangers of cycling in the city without adequate training/experience.

Cycling through major cities, especially ones like London that were designed and built before traffic volumes increased to their current levels, is inherently dangerous.

Wearing helmets makes it safer. Quality equipment makes it safer. Good training makes it safer. Experience makes it safer. Confident positioning makes it safer. Thinking makes it safer. I fail to understand counter-arguments.

+1
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Make no mistake Woody - I share your dismay at another pointless road death - but I'm not sure whether your complaint about lack of cycle lanes gets to the heart of the matter. We cyclists do not need to be kept in our own lane for our protection. We just need drivers to drive safely around us. That applies just as much if the road is busy/narrow/full of HGVs.
    I've been a bit on the fence over this debate but now side with having dedicated cycle-lanes. Having ridden the Way of the Roses a couple of weekends back, it was a real eye-opener to ride on proper dedicated lanes; it not only is safer, it feels safer, which is important to get more people on bikes.

My last accident happened on Monday when a van driver pulled out from a side-street, failing to give way. I had on a high-vis vest and blinking lights and was coming slowly through a green light, but he still stuffed up. And this was a guy with an unblemished driving-record; it's just too much to hope that drivers are going to improve their driving anytime soon.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Hearing this news last night sent a shiver down my spine as not two hours before, I was talking to a work colleague who had recently moved to Leyton and he was saying how the roads on his new route around the eastway weren't very good for cycling. I then hear that a cyclist in his early 30's (now confirmed 28) had been knocked over and killed on the exact route he was talking about, I prayed I'd see him this morning.

RIP to the cyclist and what Vermin said.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Had a phone call from mother this morning... "you're 28 and ride white bikes"... :|
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    There is a clear recurring theme with cyclists riding up the inside of big vehicles and deaths. If I didn't keep an eye on this forum then I wouldn't know about the dangers.

Good point.

Currently, the only formal training we get is a cycling proficiency course at what, age 7-8?

How about a stage 2 compulsory course for school leavers at 16? Even if they had no interest in cycling ever again, it might help educate them as car driver's.
  • This might be an unpopular opinion but in a lot of cases, I think existing cycle lanes encourage this sort of dangerous behaviour - riding on the left up the inside of traffic that might be turning. Also if you're riding tight to the left, when drivers coming out of side turnings look, they won't expect something moving at speed to be in that position. If I see a vehicle looking like it's about to pull out, I'll slow and take primary to be more visible. Spending money on infrastructure that makes cycling more dangerous is clearly not a good idea.

Anyway, a tragedy putting a dampener on an otherwise great day.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    This might be an unpopular opinion but in a lot of cases, I think existing cycle lanes encourage this sort of dangerous behaviour - riding on the left up the inside of traffic that might be turning. Also if you're riding tight to the left, when drivers coming out of side turnings look, they won't expect something moving at speed to be in that position. If I see a vehicle looking like it's about to pull out, I'll slow and take primary to be more visible. Spending money on infrastructure that makes cycling more dangerous is clearly not a good idea.

Anyway, a tragedy putting a dampener on an otherwise great day.

Agreed
  • spasypaddy
    what does annoy me is this is a regular occurrence on our roads and it doesnt get any press coverage but because it was an olympic vehicle its big news.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    apreading wrote:
    As I said - I think having kids changes your view on risk and mortality. How many of those that dont want to wear helmets would not want their kids to wear one?

I do wear one often (not always), but neither my wife nor kids (10 and 14) ever wear one - and I don't try to make them.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    spasypaddy wrote:
    what does annoy me is this is a regular occurrence on our roads and it doesnt get any press coverage but because it was an olympic vehicle its big news.

Strange that seeing as what event is happening at the moment and the vehicle involved :roll:

It now will bring to the to attention of the masses the number of cyclists killed on London roads this year.
  • vermin wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Sadly, +1

I'm seeing some shockingly dangerous cycling on London streets this week.
  • spasypaddy
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Strange that seeing as what event is happening at the moment and the vehicle involved :roll:

It now will bring to the to attention of the masses the number of cyclists killed on London roads this year.
    i think you're missing my point. This shouldnt be big news because its the olympics it should be big news because someone died. It should never be a side note on the BBC website when it happens at other times.

So what it was an Olympic Vehicle, it was still a bus.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Peat wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    There is a clear recurring theme with cyclists riding up the inside of big vehicles and deaths. If I didn't keep an eye on this forum then I wouldn't know about the dangers.

Good point.

Currently, the only formal training we get is a cycling proficiency course at what, age 7-8?

How about a stage 2 compulsory course for school leavers at 16? Even if they had no interest in cycling ever again, it might help educate them as car driver's.

I think there needs to be a campaign to educate all cyclists of all ages now. Don't ride up the inside of buses and lorries... EVER!!!

It's not a problem I have to deal with out in the country but I read about it all the time. Seems to be almost a weekly occurrence.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    It should never be a side note on the BBC website when it happens at other times.

Come along, the news isn't obliged to report every death in the UK every day. It would take hours.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    First off, condolences to the families involved. What a horrible thing to happen. That account on Reddit made it a little bit more human and personal :(
    vermin wrote:
    This might be an unpopular opinion but in a lot of cases, I think existing cycle lanes encourage this sort of dangerous behaviour - riding on the left up the inside of traffic that might be turning

Agreed
    Also agree completely.

I'm in the process of helping a mate (newbie cyclist) choose a bike for his london commute and I put in bold at the end of the email
    … never EVER go down the left hand side of a lorry/bus/coach. Even if the lights are red, there’s a “safe” cyclelane down the left hand side and the vehicle is indicating right. Apologies if it sounds patronising, but I see people who look like they should know better doing it and cringe, it’s about the most dangerous thing you can do. If you’re in any doubt whatsoever about what a big vehicle is going to do, if you don’t have a clear escape route then just sit behind and wait.

Cyclelanes down the left hand side of left turn lanes are so dangerous. I fail to see the point of about 95% of on road cyclelanes to be honest. They seem to make drivers give less space: "as long as I'm over the line I'm far enough away", but when the lane is a couple of feet wide I'm riding at the edge of it just to avoid the drains. Then they reach a junction and direct cyclists who don't know any better into the 'tunnel of death' down the left hand side.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    spasypaddy wrote:

It was a bus full of media. Bound to hit the news.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Peat wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    It should never be a side note on the BBC website when it happens at other times.

Come along, the news isn't obliged to report every death in the UK every day. It would take hours.

I think they are in Ireland, for road deaths anyway. Apparently it had a big impact in reducing road deaths because people were more aware of the dangers.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    With media training Wiggins might have remained more objective and kept his more personal opinions to himself. Like it or not his new stature means he has to be careful about what he says in public about cycling and the sport in general.

Being as outspoken as he is will eventually land him in trouble ruin his public image. Not least you of which, what he has been reported as saying may come across as insensitive to the lay person.

Why would we want him to have media training? So we just got a load of banal soundbites creared by his press officer - yawn. The lack of media training is what makes cyclists so much more interesting than footballers and the like.

As for his comments, well I don't think helmets should be compulsory but then I always wear one so it wouldn't affect me if they were. Maybe it wasn't the best time to make such a comment, but its a damn sight better saying that than saying "cyclists shouldn't go down the left of large vehicles" when we don't know the full details of the incident. At least by focusing on an issue that appears to be completely irrelevant to the poor guy's death it avoided victim blaming.

RIP
  • spasypaddy
    Peat wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

no but if they reported deaths like this it would reduce deaths as people would become more aware of the dangers of filtering down the left of big vehicles.