Hugh Porter

2»

Comments

• He annoyed me in the road race, but he only added to the excitement of watching events unfold in the velodrome. For me, it didn't matter that he got things wrong from time to time, his exuberant enthusiasm had me sold. Thankfully he had professor Boardman alongside to correct the odd mistake.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Calling VP as the Olympic Sprint Champion yesterday :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugCf6ybqK3U
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,339
    Pronouncing the Polish cyclist Wojtyra's* name as Wodge-tee-rah (rather than Voi-tirra, I think) was particularly grating. You'd think with all his years of experience in a sport dominated by non-anglophone countries, he might have picked up at least basic pronunciation of a few of the more common European languages.

*Malgorzata Wojtyra in the omnium.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Just resurrecting this one in honour of the Tour of Britain. Love Hugh's enthusiasm, but my goodness does he ever talk some crap. And let's not even begin on his pronunciation :shock:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I certainly need my "face of concentration" while listening to Hugh Porter!

:roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I like how he just names the teams rather than the riders and still gets them wrong.

Not even an attempt at a name.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ieeeeooooscarrtel eeeeooooscarrrdeeee

I find it funny how each race, the teams and many of the riders seem to get new pronounciations. I reckon the pundits do it deliberately!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Definitely like Hugh's enthusiasm, some commentators are so boring to listen to, but it does wind me up forever calling Cav the "Manx Express" and talking about a lead out train "lighting up the burners" etc... it's funny though! :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    No Porter means no more "HE'S IGNITED THE BURNERS!"

Not sure I could live without that in my life. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • It was listening to him wetting himself over the Manx Express going for the intermediate sprint, even though he so clearly was not and was only leading out "the man from Sky" that gave me that hmm moment yesterday.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Every time I'm forced to watch live road cycling away from eurosport I die a little inside.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Definitely like Hugh's enthusiasm, some commentators are so boring to listen to, but it does wind me up forever calling Cav the "Manx Express" and talking about a lead out train "lighting up the burners" etc... it's funny though! :D

Mostly I like them - but I can do without 'looking after the interests of' thanks! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......