Hugh Porter

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Will someone please shoot him and put me out of my misery.

just watching the TT and he has already P***ed me off

Keeenya anyone?

Gyro?

WTF.

Please tell me he isnt doing the track as well.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    He knows about track cycling though, by the same measure that he know f*ck all about road
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I don't understand how a former Pro can have so little knowledge. Does he even watch cycling when he's not commentating?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Easy now chaps when I'm 72 I hope I can even remember where I put my shoes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Porter
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    :) I have that trouble now!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    Mattsaw wrote:
    He knows about track cycling though, by the same measure that he know f*ck all about road
    Perhaps. I bet the more you know about track cycling, the less he would seem to know about track cycling.

Personally I think Martin Brundle should commentate on everything. Or that little dude who cried in 1992 and calls the rowing events. With Colin Murray in the studio. The wouldn't be any better than the current crowd, but they are at least entertaining.
  • Pronouncing Kenya with a longer "e" is just the way it used to be pronounced and is probably expected from a chap of Mr Porter's vintage. I don't think it's an affectation. Personally I think he's OK, I just wish Chris Boardman would speak up a bit.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Pronouncing Kenya with a longer "e" is just the way it used to be pronounced and is probably expected from a chap of Mr Porter's vintage. I don't think it's an affectation. [...]

Indeed; I have to correct myself, having learnt such pronunciation at prep. school from a septuagenarian ex-Army Geography teacher who had served in Africa & spent time in Happy Valley. Luckily I didn't pick up on all his vocabulary, as much was un-PC.
  • mattsaw
    My favourite Olympics commentator so far is the chap that does the rowing. By the end of the race he's so excited, his voice breaks and he ends up sounding like a squeaky pubescent 15 year old.
    Strava
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mattsaw wrote:
    My favourite Olympics commentator so far is the chap that does the rowing. By the end of the race he's so excited, his voice breaks and he ends up sounding like a squeaky pubescent 15 year old.

Once a cox, always a cox.

He can't help but slip into some standard coxing chat when he gets over-excited.

Am keen.
  • rubertoe
    is it Gary Herbert?

He should commentate on everything.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• mattsaw
    Possibly, sounds familiar so it may be, I'm not up on rowing enough to be sure :)

I love that level of excitement from the commentators, (Murray Walker-esque) it's totally infectious and really improves the excitement of watching. Unfortunately genuinely knowlegble excitable guys seem few and far between.
    Strava
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    He's not getting any better this afternoon. Keeps repeating himself or getting things completely wrong. Shame, as he has been very enjoyable in the past.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    rubertoe wrote:
    is it Gary Herbert?

He should commentate on everything.

I don't know if it is him but Gary Herbert is just taking up cycling (MTB'ing: yeah I know, I'm sorry)

His kids go to the same school as one of my mates kids in Cranleigh and he keeps threatening to come out riding with us.
    FCN = 4
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    He's not getting any better this afternoon. Keeps repeating himself or getting things completely wrong. Shame, as he has been very enjoyable in the past.

...and again just now.

"Denmark vs Spain on the track in the team pursuit" he says.....while the viewers are quite clearly watching Netherlands vs Columbia...
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Seriously, get rid of him now. Doesn't have a clue and never did.
    exercise.png
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just watched the men destroy Oz & smash the WR again - criticise Hugh all you like but he called that one brilliantly. Get on the iplayer & watch it again, esp the last lap. Hair on back of neck territory. Superb.
  • the_fuggler
    CiB wrote:
    Just watched the men destroy Oz & smash the WR again - criticise Hugh all you like but he called that one brilliantly. Get on the iplayer & watch it again, esp the last lap. Hair on back of neck territory. Superb.

He did indeed - much better tonight I'm happy to say.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I like the variety of calm old school and hyperventilating types. Oh and, for the benefit of non rowers, Herbert generally talks utter nonsense in a very engaging and excitable way - as RC said, once a cox...
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:
    I like the variety of calm old school and hyperventilating types. Oh and, for the benefit of non rowers, Herbert generally talks utter nonsense in a very engaging and excitable way - as RC said, once a cox...

greg_92.jpg

It's not really nonsense.

He's basically coxing the boats from his commentary box. He starts all third person and commentator like, "The British men's 4 is looking strong - a good ryhthm" and by the end he's screaming "C'mon boys, we need a good hard push for 30 now - let's up the rating! We're level!! Keep it long, keep it strong! We can smell the gold!!" etc etc.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When Vicky was leading the final Hugh was calling it with Meares at the front :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • vermin
    vermin wrote:

greg_92.jpg

He's basically coxing the boats from his commentary box. He starts all third person and commentator like, "The British men's 4 is looking strong - a good ryhthm" and by the end he's screaming "C'mon boys, we need a good hard push for 30 now - let's up the rating! We're level!! Keep it long, keep it strong! We can smell the gold!!" etc etc.

Yes, and coxes always call last 10 with 500m to the finish. Not exactly accurate reporting.
  • vermin
    vermin wrote:

greg_92.jpg

Yes, and coxes always call last 10 with 500m to the finish. Not exactly accurate reporting.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hugh is on tremendous form this afternoon. Top banana.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    When you've achieved what he has in cycling you can criticise
  • When you've achieved what he has in cycling you can criticise

Indeed - and at the ToB he also does the commentary from a booth at the finish line sometimes with only race radio to go on. But Duffers for the win - everytime. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:
    vermin wrote:

greg_92.jpg

:twisted:

I once slapped stroke round the face for not upping the rating high enough.

Suffice to say, it went up and we got the bump.

All was forgiven, just...
  • the_fuggler
    In the interests of integrity and balance, I have to say that I thought Hugh and Chris Boardman were absolutely superb over the last couple of nights.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rubertoe
    Hugh certainly is better at calling the track than the road. He does still however, have a tendency to repeat himself, a tendency to repeat himself and like most commentators get names wrong

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I have to agree that Hugh and Chris has been brilliant for the track cycling sessions. Superb, exciting and technically interesting commentary. Well done! Obviously the road race was a 'mare, but much of that seemed out of the beeb's hands.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    When you've achieved what he has in cycling you can criticise

I disagree. Just because you're good at a sport, doesn't mean you make a good commentator.
    A point the BBC execs often seem to overlook.

Gary Lineker was a good footballer, but even after all these years, he's still a poor presenter. Am I not allowed to criticise because I'm wasn't as good at football as him?
    exercise.png