Commuting with others

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
A mate of mine who is now working in the same building and moving into my shared house is likely to start commuting to work again.

Now I don't mind the odd group ride but if he starts riding everyday I'm not sure what to do. I refuse to pootle down CS8/Embankment :!:

How shall I break him without making him hate me? :lol:

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If he's good enough to stay in your tow, then tow him in. If not, bye bye house mate!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Heh, I have the same situation coming up this Friday... I find it incredibly difficult to ride with people who are much slower than my pootling speed. I like purring along at 20, anything slower than that feels like going backwards :P

Not sure what I'm going to do, I might come in on the hybrid to make it easier...
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Just be up front with him!

We go out on occasion with our Landlord/Neighbour and from the beginning said we were not going to be his pace, we dont expect them to slow for us. We can keep pace on the flats and smaller hills but get dropped on the bigger ones but that is no biggy.

To start you could ride with him while you warm up and then up the pace and if he cannot keep it then off you go. Sure he will understand. Get him on Strava to push him on.

Myself and my landlord both commute to the same place but rarely commute together however I took a segment 1 second faster than him last night and rubbed it in, so he is going out on a special ride to take it. Also got within 5 seconds of another.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah the most English of English fears - that you might end up having to speak to someone every day on your journey to or from work!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I regularly cycle with two mates of mine, one is slightly quicker than me and one slower (when I'm on the Madone I tend to be quicker than both of them... the Endomondo times show this)

We cycle together, it becomes a social thing as we cycle as a group or a pair. We have the best rides to be honest.

Mind you - we cycle 12 mile down country lanes together so it's easy for us to ride as a social group. I don't expect this option is available to you lot who suffer traffic lights.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    You work together. - That's fine.

He's moving in with you. - Erm, ok, unconventional but why not eh?

He want's to ride to work with you...... - Make sure you lock your bedroom door because he sounds like classic 'love-knife' material to me....

*kidding*

(but seriously. Nooooo. no no no. Too much time spent with another person. I couldn't hack that)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sounds all a bit gay to me.

Do what Greg did to me when I was new... When you both set off tap out as high a speed as possible. Make it clear to him that you have noticed that he is quite a bit slower. Tell him to ride right behind your wheel as it is somehow easier but don't explain to him how it is easier. When he does latch on to your wheel ride even faster. Then shout at him something along the lines of "I'm 42!"*

He will now see you as 'the enemy' and strive to one day be faster than you. You will have an arch nemesis and SCR will have a greater meaning for both of you.

*I haven't forgotten that Greg. I want my revenge. I will have my revenge.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Do what Greg did to me when I was new... When you both set off tap out as high a speed as possible. Make it clear to him that you have noticed that he is quite a bit slower. Tell him to ride right behind your wheel as it is somehow easier but don't explain to him how it is easier. When he does latch on to your wheel ride even faster. Then shout at him something along the lines of "I'm 42!"*

He will now see you as 'the enemy' and strive to one day be faster than you. You will have an arch nemesis and SCR will have a greater meaning for both of you.

*I haven't forgotten that Greg. I want my revenge. I will have my revenge.

Greg was only doing what every single other one of us would love to do.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:

<man love for Greg>

Agreed.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Stick to the pirate code. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Kieran_Burns
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Do what Greg did to me when I was new...

<man love for Greg>

FTFY RC
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It's complicated guys.

ooook, he sorted me a temp job that went full time, we lived in a shared house and did the whole cycle to work as my idea but we were of a similar pace back then, slow. He moved company for a few years but is now back and the commute is now even longer and I have 2 years of power upgrades to my legs.

Destroying every rider on embankment is my wind down time.

No chance he can hold my wheel. I'll just have to lay down pirate rules early on or go with notsoblues plan and ride the Brompton, might be taken as an insult mind :lol:
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    twist83 wrote:
    Just be up front with him

the simplest answer, and the best. MTFU applies to more than just cycling.

(that doesn't mean be a dick though...)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its not just the Riding in together that is the issue here. Its the bit before the riding in, i have my routines and i am sure that you do as well iPete, when its time to go its time to go and you cant be hanging around for someone who needs to finish off in the bog, or get a jacket cos its raining, or overshoes cos its chilly.

there is more to consider than speed.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I wondered where the DDD loves Greg thing started. All clear now. Isn't Greg still quicker?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I wondered where the DDD loves Greg thing started. All clear now. Isn't Greg still quicker?

Yep. I heard DDD had stopped turning the Power Awesome (cb*) on because he likes the view.

*complete bollocks
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yep. I heard DDD had stopped turning the Power Awesome (cb*) on because he likes the view.

*complete bollocks
    Veronses68 wrote:

gauntlet.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    just look him in the eye and say very calmly: "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for friendly banter, I can tell you that won't happen. I have a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long commuting career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop botheirng me now, that'll be the end of it. I will not put you in the pain cave, I will not horribly emasculate you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will scalp you."
  • veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

*complete bollocks
    Veronses68 wrote:

gauntlet.jpg
    :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:
    "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for friendly banter, I can tell you that won't happen. I have a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long commuting career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop botheirng me now, that'll be the end of it. I will not put you in the pain cave, I will not horribly emasculate you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will scalp you."
    Food Chain number = 4

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    iPete wrote:
    It's complicated guys.

Destroying every rider on embankment is my wind down time.

Clearly commuting with him is impossible. Not room on the road for both him and your ego :lol:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for friendly banter, I can tell you that won't happen. I have a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long commuting career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop botheirng me now, that'll be the end of it. I will not put you in the pain cave, I will not horribly emasculate you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will scalp you."
    Terribly sorry, I thought this was a place for light banter. I wasn't being serious, sorry that you took offence. Don't bother replying to any of my banality.
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Terribly sorry, I thought this was a place for light banter. I wasn't being serious, sorry that you took offence. Don't bother replying to any of my banality.
    I'm quoting Clarky Cat on the previous page. I'm trying to trash talk, to generate interest for when I scalp you on the way home. And yes, I will scalp you so bad I will tear the knobbles from those horrendous mountain bike tyres you use.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kieran_Burns
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm quoting Clarky Cat on the previous page. I'm trying to trash talk, to generate interest for when I scalp you on the way home. And yes, I will scalp you so bad I will tear the knobbles from those horrendous mountain bike tyres you use.

You don't even know what he's quoting. You're rubbish you are. :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD
    What is he quoting?
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ooops. Sorry. Didn't see that post and in my haste thought it an odd sense of humour failure. :oops: :oops:
    I should really concentrate on this and ignore those pesky customers that keep bothering me.
  • Kieran_Burns
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What is he quoting?

He's paraphrasing Liam Neeson in Taken
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    eh? who?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

*complete bollocks
    Veronses68 wrote:

gauntlet.jpg

so are you turning strava back on?
  • iPete wrote:
    A mate of mine who is now working in the same building and moving into my shared house is likely to start commuting to work again.

Now I don't mind the odd group ride but if he starts riding everyday I'm not sure what to do. I refuse to pootle down CS8/Embankment :!:

How shall I break him without making him hate me? :lol:

A couple of years ago, I saw skiing on a beautiful powder day with some mates. I made it to the lift first after the first run (obv), waited, and was joined by one mate.

A snowboarder, semi-delirious with joy, pulled into the lift queue. We waved him through and explained we were waiting for friends.

Wide eyed and grinning like a dervish, all he could say was "No friends on a powder day!", and shot past us.

That saying has become a bit of a fave with friends and (especially) with family.

I suggest you adapt it. No friends on the Embankment.

DDD learned this. The hard way :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A