Etape Caledonia ?

13»

Comments

• Glad you stayed in!

It was carnage on the streets of Dundee this morning. Opened the curtains to devastation in the back garden and the first thing I was confronted with on the street was a woman with blood streaming down the side of her face being put into an ambulance. Dodged the Blackness Rd and Peddie Street flying slates on the way to the Doc's and by the time I'd hit the Perth Rd it was mayhem and I was soaked through. Took refuge in Spokes for 15 mins then decided to get a taxi to work. I’ll be checking my roof when I get home.

On the plus side I’ve not received any Strava emails informing me that I’ve lost a KOM ;-)
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    I will be taking advantage of the very strong easterly and be going for a Strava PB on the rise out of Tayport in around an hour's time!
  • d4evr wrote:
    I will be taking advantage of the very strong easterly and be going for a Strava PB on the rise out of Tayport in around an hour's time!

South of Tayport Hillock?
  • d4evr
    Yip, that's it.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Where is you kom ? The stretch up the paved road to the masts ? Seen there is a couple there.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    dexradio wrote:
    I did a video of my 2011 ride, painfully slow up Schiehallion, but it was my second time to do the Caledonia. The video is here http://bit.ly/NtEq2U for anyone who wants an idea of the route/course etc.

Hope its of some interest to those planning to do the event :-)

Dex.

That was excellent, cheers for posting, and your time seemed bloody good to me.
  • d4evr
    d4evr wrote:

South of Tayport Hillock?

Seemed to be fairly quick (for me) tonight, and the wind was not as much of a help as I expected more of a cross/tail. Anyway we shall see when I upload from the Garmin tomorrow!! :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Wish I'd been riding yesterday morning (Liff - Perth via Balbeggie, basically). Not only would I have had a chance of my own personal KOM (not interested in the strava game), but I would have stood more chance of getting past the fallen trees than I did driving.
    Of course the ride home isn't fun in these NE winds!
  • I missed the Thistle club run last night but I heard it was interesting. Lost the KOM on the Errol to St Madoes by 3 secs too.

How did you get on d4ever?
  • d4evr
    I missed the Thistle club run last night but I heard it was interesting. Lost the KOM on the Errol to St Madoes by 3 secs too.

Not sure yet, I'm on a 24 hour shift at work, seemed to be quite quick for me anyway. I will find out when I get home tonight and upload the Garmin. I must get along to one of the Thistle runs to see what like. I do want to get involved with a club now.
  • d4evr
    I missed the Thistle club run last night but I heard it was interesting. Lost the KOM on the Errol to St Madoes by 3 secs too.

Knocked 4 seconds of my PB!! :D
  • Still no registration for 2013 - or have I missed it?
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Still no registration for 2013 - or have I missed it?
    Not opened yet!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • I think the team is dealing with the Etape Pennines on Sunday.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • It's open to Pre-registers and should open (if not already) soon *edit* to the general public. I've already registered and am booked in on my wave so I'm nearly blowing my mind with excitement.

There's definately something wrong with me when I'm giddy with how much work I've got to do towards it. I think I might be loosing my mind!
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • It's now open season on entries. I'm booked up for another year and hoping to stay for the whole weekend.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Etape Caledonia is now full for general entries

The only way you can get in now is signing up for the charity pledge to raise a minimum of £300
  • Bloody hell - that was quick. Last year it was a full week before you had charity entry only.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    http://road.cc/content/blog/71344-etape ... s-money-go

Sounds like a nice little earner for IMG - £315k in entry income, less just £2k for police costs, £500 for the road closure order and expenses only for the marshalls. From reading the article it appears that the only money that goes to the charity is that raised through sponsorship - no wonder they allow such a limited entry for riders who don't want to sign up for this.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Drumlin wrote:
    http://road.cc/content/blog/71344-etape-caledonia-where-does-money-go

Sounds like a nice little earner for IMG - £315k in entry income, less just £2k for police costs, £500 for the road closure order and expenses only for the marshalls. From reading the article it appears that the only money that goes to the charity is that raised through sponsorship - no wonder they allow such a limited entry for riders who don't want to sign up for this.

...and the bit that shocked me was that Marie Curie PAY £100k to IMG to be allowed to 'sponsor' the event.
  • I was interested in riding in this but after receiving the email about the price ...sorry but no chance i cycle regularly on the road and it costs nothing ... but for a closed event with nothing except a big payout for IMG well sorry i will use the money for a nice top or some nice new tyres ..... £63.00 your having a laugh
  • Anyone else not get any kind of notification email that entries were open?

I signed up much earlier in the year to be notified and never heard a thing, assumed entries were not open yet, to find I am too late.

Why exactly were we asked to sign up at an earlier stage if it got us zero notification ?
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Anyone else not get any kind of notification email that entries were open?

I signed up much earlier in the year to be notified and never heard a thing, assumed entries were not open yet, to find I am too late.

Why exactly were we asked to sign up at an earlier stage if it got us zero notification ?
    Check your junk folder...

I got an email!! :?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac