Etape Caledonia ?

Comments

• d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    With the weather as brutal as it was this year I think you can easily subtract 20 mins off your time - and with a time like 5.20 you'll deffo get a sub 5 in 2013.

This for me is encouraging. I went 32 minutes quicker this year than I did in 2011. I did think to myself if it hadn't been so bad weather wise I could have possibly went even quicker (another 15mins possibly?) but then thought I was getting a bit greedy. After reading the above maybe not?!! :)
  • It also depends on how many stops you took too as the chip records the whole ride time. I took 1 short stop to wait for a mate, 1 short stop to put my chain back on, 1 stop to take the biggest pi$$ of my life at the station before Schiehallion (shed loads of weight ;-)) and 1 stop for water after the climb. I'd only planned on the one stop after the climb but it wasn't to be. My Garmin moving time was much shorter though - so that's the time I'll be going by for next year :-)
  • d4evr
    just two stops for me, before Schiehallion and at 60 miles. Although I was almost blown to a standstill on the Fortingall loop !!!! :(
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Most peeps I know did the exact same time as the previous year. Winter training is essential though - you need to know how to cycle in the torrential rain, and a headwind, even if it's just out pootling. If you thing you're going to miss training for the sake of the early nights get yourself a turbo trainer - doesn't have to be anything fancy, and could even be second hand - but then you have no excuse, and they're ace if you're time crunched.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    My moving time was 5h 08mins, stopped before schiehallion for some free gels then got mud stuck in my cleats. I was dragging my feet in the grass just like I had dog poo on my trainers. That'll teach me for being a tight git :oops: . Also needed 4 wee wee's.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Rollemynot wrote:
    My moving time was 5h 08mins, stopped before schiehallion for some free gels then got mud stuck in my cleats. I was dragging my feet in the grass just like I had dog poo on my trainers. That'll teach me for being a tight git :oops: . Also needed 4 wee wee's.

I think I seen you...Cleaning the cleats not wee wee-ing. I had to faff around with my bike seat for about 25 mins and stopped for one wee wee. It's a dangerous game the whole 'when do you stop', I never seem to drink enough to stay hydrated, but not to wee. Unless you're sharp 3 stops take up 30 mins of your time. I can't wait for next year, I'm completely champing at the bit!

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It also depends on how many stops you took too as the chip records the whole ride time. I took 1 short stop to wait for a mate, 1 short stop to put my chain back on, 1 stop to take the biggest pi$$ of my life at the station before Schiehallion (shed loads of weight ;-)) and 1 stop for water after the climb. I'd only planned on the one stop after the climb but it wasn't to be. My Garmin moving time was much shorter though - so that's the time I'll be going by for next year :-)

Total time, it's the only one that counts as it comes without caveats and therefore can be used for comparison for oneself or with others. Those folks who don't think that having a few stops then helps them to ride faster afterwards should just try riding through a long distance ride and see what the impact is to overall time (not just physical but also psychological).
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Went and rode the route on my motorbike today to see what was involved, and although it's obvious that what goes down must go up, but most of the route seemed to be down hill :roll:

Other than the climb at Sch....Sch....thon mountain, the rest looks fairly easy :?
  • Just registered interest for next year- for a good cause too.
  • I've registered my interest for next year as a chap I work with has done it and said was really good. I'm going up to see my mum who lives in Scone so am taking the bike to try some of the hills. Can anyone recommend a route of say 50 miles which will include Sheilhallion? (hope I've spelt that right)
  • If you do the loop from Pitlochry straight from Kinloch Rannoch ( missing out the loch loop and the Fortingall loop) I think that is about 50 miles.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    After reading this thread, i've registered interest too. Been cycling for over a month. This should give me something to look forward to and give me a reason not to stop cycling during the winter months.
  • I've registered my interest for next year as a chap I work with has done it and said was really good. I'm going up to see my mum who lives in Scone so am taking the bike to try some of the hills. Can anyone recommend a route of say 50 miles which will include Sheilhallion? (hope I've spelt that right)
    Let me know when you are coming up, it can be a bit depressing riding solo round there. There's a couple of good coffee stops too!
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    You've plenty of quality training time. Get a road bike now so you can train with it, get a turbo for winter and get 'The Cyclists Training Bible' by Joe Friel.

There are still a few good bargains around on last years bikes.
  • Definitely doing it again next year. Last year was my first and did it solo and loved every second. Convinced I'm going to thrash my 2012 time.
  • Inutero wrote:
    After reading this thread, i've registered interest too. Been cycling for over a month. This should give me something to look forward to and give me a reason not to stop cycling during the winter months.
    See my previous posts for my similar story - also live in Perth if you want an early Sunday 25 miler
  • d4evr
    RandG wrote:
    Went and rode the route on my motorbike today to see what was involved, and although it's obvious that what goes down must go up, but most of the route seemed to be down hill :roll:

Other than the climb at Sch....Sch....thon mountain, the rest looks fairly easy :?

Its, IMO 'lumpy' around Queens View near the start, Schiehallion then 3 or 4 short sharpish shocks near the end. Great day out, you will all love it.
  • RandG
    Looking at the profile on my fone app I tracked it does look like that from Fiscally to Queens View, and obviously the climb at Sch... Sch... thon Mountain, the Logierait climb doesn't seem to bad although I guess after 70 miles it will be. Just the bloody Winter to get over :roll:

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/de ... cle/781703
  • d4evr
    The left hander at Logierait is very short but steep. Approach on RH side of road, select low gear, swing over (if safe to) to the left, then up and over. Its the next 2 or 3 that 'surprised' me the first time I did it.
  • d4evr
    A bit more detail here...............http://app.strava.com/segments/1375592
  • RandG
    If you do the loop from Pitlochry straight from Kinloch Rannoch ( missing out the loch loop and the Fortingall loop) I think that is about 50 miles.

That's excellent, gona give that a go, though probably in Spring now.
  • RandG
    d4evr wrote:
    A bit more detail here...............http://app.strava.com/segments/1375592

Nice one. 8)
  • d4evr wrote:
    The left hander at Logierait is very short but steep. Approach on RH side of road, select low gear, swing over (if safe to) to the left, then up and over. Its the next 2 or 3 that 'surprised' me the first time I did it.

This.

There’s a reason why Logierait gets big crowds of spectators at the top. It’s there to catch riders out. Select the wrong gear or take it too slowly and you’ll join the cacophony of crunching drive chains and swearing. If you’re in a big bunch you need to get to the front ASAP – Belgian style – because the last thing you want to do is have to weave through carnage. As d4ever says, the next selection of lumps post Logie will see off the unprepared.

I missed 2011 due to an accident but did it this year with a pre ride of the course the week before so I knew what was coming. One of the highlights of the day was flying up Logierait with crowds on either side cheering away – it felt pro ;-)
  • d4evr
    Yip it was almost Koppenberg-esque!
  • RandG
    As an absolute novice/newbie to it i canny wait til they open the entries, will give extra motivation. Sidees the night on the mtb in the howling gale...get in there.
  • RandG wrote:
    As an absolute novice/newbie to it i canny wait til they open the entries, will give extra motivation. Sidees the night on the mtb in the howling gale...get in there.

You nutter! It’s wild out there today.
  • RandG
    Indeed but its an eastery wind so might blow me up to the masts and the other peaks.
  • I did a video of my 2011 ride, painfully slow up Schiehallion, but it was my second time to do the Caledonia. The video is here http://bit.ly/NtEq2U for anyone who wants an idea of the route/course etc.

Hope its of some interest to those planning to do the event :-)

Dex.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    RandG wrote:
    Indeed but its an eastery wind so might blow me up to the masts and the other peaks.
    Well, did you make it or are we going to have to come and pull you down from one of the trees on Auchterhouse?
  • RandG
    Nah discretion over valour im afraid. Tho its meant to ease this afternoon so hoping to get out around 6ish but only if it dies down.