Vaughters comes clean on twitter

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
edited August 2012 in Pro race
It's been a long time coming, a very slow strip-tease, but he looks like he's there at last

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/with_replies

I wish him the best of luck and hope he feels liberated. I have a huge amount of respect for what he's done with Garmin.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    "Page doesn't exist"
    Retracted?
    What did it say?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Working fine for me
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    slimreaper wrote:
    "Page doesn't exist"
    Retracted?
    What did it say?

Works fine. You're not an Independent journalist that's banned from Twitter are you?

A long series of tweets, answering questions from lots of other Twitter users. Starts off with "Did you ever wonder why I quit while I had a big contract?" (paraphrasing), then answers lots of questions openly and candidly.

Quite moving to see, actually.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    "My conscience wouldn't let me take the money. My conscience also wouldn't let me go back... So, stopping was the only option. "
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    In short, he couldn't perform at the level he was at sans dope.

Roger L knew and accepted it but JV had a tough time with it
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    slimreaper wrote:
    "Page doesn't exist"
    Retracted?
    What did it say?

Works fine. You're not an Independent journalist that's banned from Twitter are you?

A long series of tweets, answering questions from lots of other Twitter users. Starts off with "Did you ever wonder why I quit while I had a big contract?" (paraphrasing), then answers lots of questions openly and candidly.

Quite moving to see, actually.

I agree, Vaughters is pretty brave to do all this publicly. Fair play to him. I guess its a carthartic thing eh
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The physiologically scarred bit is interesting.

I know Riis suffers from weird headaches and hypertension.

He even goes on about it in overcoming.
  • rick_chasey
    It's also a big cheque to leave on the table.

€500,000!
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    Thanks guys.
    Fair play to Vaughters.
    Can't have been easy.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    'Brave', 'Can't have been easy' ? ...

JV is just being smart here...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    ThomThom wrote:
    'Brave', 'Can't have been easy' ? ...

JV is just being smart here...

Maybe he is, but he's still got a lot to lose, it's not like he's untouchable in his position.

Someone even asked him if he's be ok with them banning ex-dopers from being team managers and he said he'd be fine with it.

He mentioned a tell all book with tell all photo's, I asked about refrigerated panniers ;)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rick_chasey
    What's the asylum's take on it?
  • Seem to be missing all the bis you guys are talking about (books, photos, Euros etc)... My 3 tweet visibility of it is still his usual cryptic self.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    So has he 'come clean on twitter'?? ...I don't really do Twitter, but can't see anything the press is picking up on and reporting on yet??

Anyone got a little run-down on what's gone on on twitter and the interpreted meaning of it if it isn't literal straight-worded confessions which can be quoted?

Ta
  • rick_chasey
    Seems a lot of it has disappeared, but the jist is still there:

Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    My team from 2000-retirement was credt agricole. Management was absolutely anti-doping. I hated letting them down when I couldn't win.
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    14h Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    Been trying to put the answer down. Impossible in 140. But I can say this: None of my riders will ever face the same conundrum.
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    15h Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    I wonder if anyone is curious as to why I quit racing at 29, and walked away from the last 2 yrs of a pretty phat contract? Must be crazy..

He was more explicit when responding to questions. Mentioned physiological scarring, that the contract was €500,000 a year, etc
  • But no explicit mea culpa?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    But no explicit mea culpa?

It would seem not, just a load of fuss about things he's inferred plenty of times.

I've got a lot of time for Vaughters, but we need to be careful not to sanctify him too much.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    But no explicit mea culpa?

There basically was in the responses to questions.

So people would say stuff like (to paraphrase) "so you weren't as good when you stopped doping" and he'd go "Pretty much".
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    I wonder if anyone is curious as to why I quit racing at 29, and walked away from the last 2 yrs of a pretty phat contract? Must be crazy..

Been trying to put the answer down. Impossible in 140. But I can say this: None of my riders will ever face the same conundrum.

My team from 2000-retirement was credt agricole. Management was absolutely anti-doping. I hated letting them down when I couldn't win

@danmaize No.The team was clear:No doping. But we were barely getting into the big races and needed results. I knew how to get that done..

cokesdonegal ‏@cokesdonegal
    @Vaughters fair enough. not the first guy I've read that marked RL as a decent guy. Honourable. Many would've rode on

14h Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    @cokesdonegal My conscience wouldn't let me take the money. My conscience also wouldn't let me go back... So, stopping was the only option.

Edit: Rick beat me to some of it. Emphasis is mine.
  • rick_chasey
    https://twitter.com/Vaughters/with_replies

If you look quite far down you start getting all the responses he wrote.

They're pretty explicit.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    It makes most sense if you have the time to click through and locate the questions. Which will only get harder as people's timelines move on.
    It is clear though.

I read the comment on a possible management ban for confessed dopers differently to prawny: he doesn't think it will happen.
  • DeadCalm
    The book stuff:

@fmk_RoI No... Kimmage knows the full story. But it was never part of our formal interview.

15h Farts4Lance ‏@Farts4Lance
    @Vaughters So if Kimmage knows, are you ever gonna let him write the story? @Laura_Weislo @broomwagonblog @fmk_RoI @sarcastitom @vivavelo

15h Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    @Farts4Lance @Laura_Weislo @broomwagonblog @fmk_RoI @sarcastitom @vivavelo No, I think I will.
  • Ahhh I see.

Good for him

"Sanity<$$$" been there.

@gietvangent
  • DeadCalm
    Asked about the so-called level playing field...

Reagan Winegar ‏@go24
    @Vaughters is it possible to say at least if USPS was doping during the domination they were at least on a level playing field?

4h Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    @go24 I could not go along with that theory. No.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    JV's timing is indicative of more info to enter the public domain around August 10th. The way riders names were leaked during TDF as admitting to doping with USPS and Horner shadowing Hincapie across the line on Champs to deprive him of the framed picture...the invisible hand of someone was at work. The US pro challenge is August 25th and Big George is done then..I would guess he will admit straight after, when no consequences for him, no future in the sport...nor should there be
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Interesting one:
    JV wrote:
    @danmaize That's a complex answer. Never had a transfusion. Takes an infrastructure and medical staff for that. Can't just "sneak" it..
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Interesting one:
    JV wrote:
    @danmaize That's a complex answer. Never had a transfusion. Takes an infrastructure and medical staff for that. Can't just "sneak" it..
    @Vaughters Lightweight.

@gietvangent
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    JonGinge wrote:
    Interesting one:
    JV wrote:
    @Vaughters Lightweight.

Thats some dark humour right there.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The most open reply I saw was when someone asked him about one of the statement's he'd made, and said it made it sound like he was doping prior to riding for CA, and he replied with "yes" or "ahuh" or something to that effect.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    JonGinge wrote:
    Interesting one:
    JV wrote:
    @Vaughters Lightweight.

:lol::lol:

(I think JV would get it btw...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver