• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    RichN95 wrote:
    love it when he slips into coxing mode "keep it firm and long boys" etc

You can all make up you own jokes here.

Presumably, everyone already has.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I think Mr Porter has had better championships. It's lucky that Mr Boardman is with him to gently correct his errors.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Really like Thorpe, think he's a top bloke and obviously knows what he's talking about. Only issue I do have is that he starts every sentence with jazz hands and the word 'Look', but i can live with that.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    Greggyr wrote:
    I think Mr Porter has had better championships. It's lucky that Mr Boardman is with him to gently correct his errors.
    You're just being kind.
    Mr Porter is having a mare of a competition. Its a simple case of opening mouth before engaging brain. He's frustrating the hell out of me, as he's screwed things up so many times and I just end up shouting at the telly.

Cav couldn't be any worst and, not wishing to be ageist here, it would be nice to get some more contemporary insights.
    Can I upgrade???
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    meggiedude wrote:
    Greggyr wrote:
    You're just being kind.
    Mr Porter is having a mare of a competition. Its a simple case of opening mouth before engaging brain. He's frustrating the hell out of me, as he's screwed things up so many times and I just end up shouting at the telly.

Cav couldn't be any worst and, not wishing to be ageist here, it would be nice to get some more contemporary insights.

I did like Porter doing the men's team sprint final, he got so excited but the commentary held up i think.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Really like Thorpe, think he's a top bloke and obviously knows what he's talking about. Only issue I do have is that he starts every sentence with jazz hands and the word 'Look', but i can live with that.

Look, Every Aussie seems to do that now.... ;)

(Jazz Hands is just Thorpedo tho...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Greggyr wrote:

He is better now we are back on the track and he doesn't have to think for himself and identify the cyclists. The road race was embarrassing for his lack of ability of naming riders even when the numbers were clearly in view. Time to pension him off me thinks
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Claire Balding stands head and shoulders above ANY of the other presenters that the Beeb have there. It's not a surprise that Thorpe has come out (oooerrrr) of his shell with her rather than that fuckwit Lineacre (good old Mick Channon!) who should be benched NOW.

Johnson, McEnroe and Thorpe have been brilliant. To get such high quality insight into not just their own sports but also the mind of an elite athlete is exceptional and the BBC must be praised. However I have grave doubts as to whether any of them really enjoy sharing a studio with Lineker, Barker and some of the other egotistical has beens. Jake Humphreys shows some promise as does Gabby. But for fuck sake promote Colin Murray. Anyone who listens to 5-live knows how much quality this bloke has and how capable he is, remember the Graeme Obree interview?

The final nail in the coffin for Lineker should have been last night when he had the rowing and judo medallists in the studio and DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEIR NAMES!!! He's had fuck all to do all day except watch the telly and make a few notes. No preparation. Truly shocking. Even Johnson and McEnroe showed more genuine interest and knowledge in OUR medallists.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh, and Cav was ok but Jamie Staff was excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    meggiedude wrote:
    Greggyr wrote:
    You're just being kind.

LOL, good spot, I was just being kind...He's been very poor for me
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Oh, and Cav was ok but Jamie Staff was excellent.
    This is the first time Cav has done this. Staff has been doing it off and on since Beijing when I think he took the Boardman seat alongside Hugh Porter after the Team Sprint was over.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    MrTapir wrote:
    meggiedude wrote:
    Greggyr wrote:
    You're just being kind.

I did like Porter doing the men's team sprint final, he got so excited but the commentary held up i think.
    True, less chance of a mistakes, and its always great to get someone clearly who loves the sport and builds up the excitement with his/her dialogue. Its just the mistakes and the occasional odd comments that grate with me.
    You can almost hear Boardman cringing in the background.

BTW, how they both missed that fact that Spartacus (or even the fact that it was a Swiss rider) that went down in the road race was totally beyond me.
    Can I upgrade???
  • Wish I had a £ for every time Cav said "incredible". Unlike his riding he's a bit slow to get going and get his points across, but when he does it's usually good. The real skill though is with the main presenter in getting the most out of the expert guests. Unless you've got someone asking decent questions (obviously not Lineaker) then you're not going to get much back.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wwdgk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18912106

compare and contrast.
    No doubt in mind who should take a bow gracefully away from commentating.
    I couldnt even think that quick to process information let alone deliver it the way Simon Brotherton does.
  • The most amazing thing about Cav is how tiny he looks sitting on the couch - he's like a naughty schoolboy waiting to called into the head.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I think Boardman is brilliant. He picks up on real subtle details straight away. Genuine insight into the technicalities of the sport.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    morstar wrote:
    I think Boardman is brilliant. He picks up on real subtle details straight away. Genuine insight into the technicalities of the sport.

Yep.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Porter was less than useless on the RRs. I watched the Men's RR, whilst away in Germany, without commentary. I got home and watched the last hour, which I'd recorded, and found that I had a better comprehension of what had gone on, having had to work it out for myself! Porter has gone a bit Duffield........happens to us all I guess?!

Linekar is beyond bad. Embarrassing....
  • morstar wrote:

Yep.
    He was definitely Porter's wingman in the women's race, though you could also hear the off-mike director prompting them with locations etc at times.
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    As much I admire Cav, he sounds a lot like Ted from The Fast Show as a pundit on the track cycling coverage to me....
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    He was definitely Porter's wingman in the women's race, though you could also hear the off-mike director prompting them with locations etc at times.

Female voice? Most likely Anita Lonsbrough - Porter's wife and GB swimming gold medallist back in the day. She assists him on his commentary duties.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Sounds like the BBC responding to the critscism of their cycling coverage so far, fair enough.

Cavendish doesn't always come across as the most eloquent speaker, but if you get over the delivery then his insights are usually quite good and he can actually be quite charming and funny.

I can't remember where I heard it but I did hear some mention recently that at some point he'd like to have another crack at the Team Pursuit, with the road race in Rio 2016 likely to be too hilly for him I wonder whether he might be thinking about a return to the track for what would probably be his last crack at an Olympic gold?

That was a BBC interview.

Basically he said he'd like to do it but he'd have to skip the Tour to do it and that ain't gonna happen. IIRC
    He would only need to skip the 2016 Tour and by then he may be getting a little bored of winning flat stages.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Did anybody else see Cav's face last night when Jake Humphrey said as he was handing back to the main studio that he and Cav were off to get a picture with Geraint Thomas and his Gold medal, it was priceless.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Linekar is beyond bad. Embarrassing....

Not quite that bad, he's just wooden. Claire Balding has been the pick of the presenters. A very cleaver lady and comfortable talking about any sport.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I like Gabby Yorath, very knowledgable about many sports and does her homework.
    Can't believe some of the comments, Cav is a guest not a professional presenter but he knows his stuff.
    Porter said it was "Meares in the well of the track still in the lead" just as VOP was winning the keirin.
    Boardman today said Kennt may get DQ'd for getting too close to Awang after Awang came out of the sprinters lane :shock:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I found myself watching Dressage the other day (I know you just sucked into it all don't you) and the commentator on there is good although I don't know his name but he does have an expert with him.
    Just posted this on another thread:
    There was an article in the Telegraph yesterday (I think - I can't find as the pile of papers will cascade to the floor if I touch it ) and they give Claire 10/10 and Hugh Porter 9/10!! Mind you he is better on the track than the road and he does have Boardman to help. Apparently his wife (Olympic swimming gold medalist Anita Lonsborough - I did know that!) sits beside him and does the research and hands him notes. It mentions his Black Country accent as well. I quite like his use of 'a brace of riders'.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Didn't get to see any track cycling yesterday as I was at a wedding (ended up outside with 20 of us gathered round an iPhone to watch Jess and Mo win!). Cav seems much better today. Seems to have grown in confidence very quickly, fewer pauses, mumbling much less
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I think Cav's been pretty good. He's loving doing the Cav's facts bit and if you read twitter it seems he's got quite a few non cycling fans as fans because of it.

Loved his 10 to the power of 6 or whatever it was he was trying to explain, he just got confused and started laughing, going bright red and embarrassed.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I have really enjoyed listening to Cav and Boardman as pundits. I think that Cav has taken a couple of days to settle in, looked like little boy lost at first. I did observe as someone else has that he does look tiny. My wife's comment made me chuckle when she said he looked like a Thunderbird puppet. Also I am finding the mention of Team GB golds by Jake Humphrey very worrying as I am waiting for Cav to deck him, especially after the getting photo taken with GT remark.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I think Cav is settling in well as a pundit responding to questions about the technical and tactical aspects of it and his enthusiasm for the sport is obvious as he was trying to answer questions whilst watching the repercharge going on behind him.
  • I'd like to see Cav asking questions of riders on some angle that only he would be able to. Perhaps that is asking too much this early in his talking head' career, `you know'.

Chris Boardman is becoming really impressive.. I had thought he was a bit tense and bottled up in previous Tour de Frances but this year he seems to really have found his best verbal (and diplomatic) abilities. It might be a good career move if we start seeing `BWiggens' branded bikes soon.