Custom Carbon Build

Red_Logic
Red_Logic Posts: 71
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
Just thought i'd update this once again to show my bike ready for a spring/summer of cycling!
Only real change is the black bar tape but the photos are much better also. :D
(Note: Pics below are the recent ones, not those further down the thread)

IMG_20140514_20390401012.jpg
IMG_20140514_20401701.jpg
IMG_20140514_20410901.jpg

Comments

• Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    CHANGE THE BAR TAPE!!!
  • Red_Logic
    Honestly, the bar tape is nearly my favourite part!
  • Nice bike
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    at first i would have said change the bar tape but when you look at more pics it looks much better, i get criticised for having green tape on my caad but i like it as it goes with the liquids colours, so stick with it, i would more look at changing the handlebar to black but i would be nit picking doing that! looks good to me.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Yea I can see ur point with changing the bars to black but I like the shape of them bars and dont want to go through all the trouble and cost of changing them.....anyway Ive grown to like the white bars and after all my colour scheme is red white and black.
  • Red_Logic
    edited June 2013
    A previous to updates with old bars etc...
    DSC01423.jpg
    DSC01429.jpg
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Who made the stickers up for you pal? I am mid build of my Chinese frame and I am just thinking about graphics whilst I attempt to collect the missing jigsaw pieces.
  • I cut them out myself from self-adhesive vinly sheet. The R838 one is printed on self-adhesive injet paper and then spayed over with car clear-coat. I would'nt recommend making them yourself though, it takes ages to get it right!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I think the bar tape looks OK, maybe a saddle with a bit of red on to match would look good.
  • Red_Logic
    Yea I agree....I am in the market for a new saddle
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Nice bike, the new bars are much better than the old bars with the weird corners on them - just from an asthetic point mind you, I have no idea what's more comfortable.

What exactly makes it "custom"? I didn't catch the custom part - did you make your own mold in China and ask them for a specific modulus and/or lay up of carbon cloth? Now THAT is custom...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Red_Logic
    Yea i agree..........by custom i just mean its built from scratch....probably not a good word in fairness though....
    In the market for a Toupe saddle atm....any comments on them?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I only ride Toupes, but just because it works for my ass doesn't mean it will work for yours.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Red_Logic
    Updates.......
    Romin saddle
    Planet X titanium QR skewers...44g for the pair!
    Slight change of decals....

Thinking about chinese carbon wheels.....50mm or 38mm? and how much of difference will they make....i know they would look better but would I be much faster to justify spending £280 odd quid?

Also I am going to slam the stem this week!

IMG_5576.jpg
    IMG_55821.jpg
    IMG_55831.jpg
    IMG_5579-1.jpg
    IMG_5580.jpg
    IMG_55851.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Some 50mm carbons will finish it off very nicely!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    some nice shots...
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Looks really good. How does it ride?
  • Red_Logic
    Calpol wrote:
    Looks really good. How does it ride?

I'm not exactly an expert as its my first bike...but it feels really sort of "together", "tight" and responsive...its a very stiff frame which i like too. The way i have it set up is quite racy but im only 20 so there's no issues with flexibility or anything like that at my age!

Most impressive thing for me is the comfort of the romin saddle compared to the old X0....it was like sitting on a bannister and i used it for a year ! :shock:

Anyway....I love it...great bike in my opinion and I may well take the plunge on those wheels sometime...
  • Paul 8v
    Got to get rid of the dork disk on the rear cassette, burn it with fire!
  • Red_Logic
    edited July 2013
    Dork disc is off...stem is almost slammed (1 spacer left) and now im very close to buying a set of 50mm chinese carbon clinchers...
    Should I go for red powerway hubs or black?...i think red nipples as well would be too much tho
    The cliamed weight is 1490 g with these hubs and they want £257.2...
    does anyone have red powerway hubs and can they comment on the tone of red? I know the novatec ones look more pink but from pictures the powerway hubs don't seem to have this problem
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Paul 8v wrote:
    burn it with fire!

That's generally how fire works.

kill it with fire maybe?
  • Paul 8v
    lawrences wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    burn it with fire!

That's generally how fire works.

kill it with fire maybe?

Don't care how its gone as long as it's gone
  • Red_Logic
    New 50mm carbon clinchers.....around 1500 g......

First without bar tape.......
    IMG_5882.jpg
    Now with fizik microtex tape.....
    IMG_5985.jpg
    IMG_5983.jpg
    IMG_5984.jpg
    IMG_5987.jpg
    IMG_5886.jpg
    IMG_5981.jpg
    The question is would it look better with black tape?

Wheels are true and very stiff....they also make a cool swoosh sound which is way more noticable than expected :D
    Thats it....after nearly a year, the bike is completely finished (apart from if I go for black tape, which is unlikely)....
    :o:o :!:
  • NoMoreShadows
    NoMoreShadows Posts: 36
    edited July 2013
    Very nice with the new wheels - really like the red hubs too.

From a personal taste I would swap out the red for black bar tape but each to their own.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    EDIT

New photos didn't show up. Dork disk is now gone :D

Looks great now! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Black tape on the 'bars and it'll be well cool. Black tape, black, black tape.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Black tape. Maybe red hoods if you want add colour.

Rob
  • focuz
    focuz Posts: 150
    Keep it all black - stealth.
  • dereko
    dereko Posts: 55
    Hi bud, good looking project there!
    Sorry to hijack but Ive just pulled the trigger on the same wheels as you, 50mm with powerway hubs.
    How do you find the hubs? Done much mileage on them yet?
    You can PM if you like to keep your thread on track
    Cheers
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Looks good, I like it with the red tape especially in the fourth pic when you can see the red on the underneath of the saddle too 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn