Opening ceremony

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    :D

Should've stuck with it.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    caught the 'highlights' on the news - gawd - it was terrible - same old uncreative myth and propaganda - it was as if some teenage researcher had spent an hour trawling wiki for facts about britain and cobbled into a precis for danny boyle. Genuine question how did seeing it make you feel proud to be british? I thought it was embarrassing. I have an italian friend who watched the ceremony in Italy and he was texting how embarrassing he found it and was half expecting the tele tubbies to pop out of the green hill. I give it five sad faces - :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    caught the 'highlights' on the news - gawd - it was terrible
    Basic error.it needed watching in full. That's how Boyle designed it to work.

Anyway.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    caught the 'highlights' on the news - gawd - it was terrible - same old uncreative myth and propaganda - it was as if some teenage researcher had spent an hour trawling wiki for facts about britain and cobbled into a precis for danny boyle. Genuine question how did seeing it make you feel proud to be british? I thought it was embarrassing. I have an italian friend who watched the ceremony in Italy and he was texting how embarrassing he found it and was half expecting the tele tubbies to pop out of the green hill. I give it five sad faces - :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sure, everyone has their own taste etc. of course some people won't have enjoyed it.

BUT "myth and propaganda"???

so, it's a myth that the industrial revolution changed us from an agrarian, rural society? And what propaganda was it that actually suggests that it was actually quite dystopian - effed up the countryside, and the poor people get hot, dirty and do the dangerous stuff whilst the top hats stand and look smug and slightly sinister as their money roles in? Marxist propaganda? in something Lord (tory) Coe was overseeing?

Why was I proud?

1) Broke the mould for opening ceremonies
    2) Was NOT "myth" and "propaganda" - if you think it was then you need to study "paradise lost", and understand that "jerusalem" is not just a rugger bugger drinking song. even if there were snippets, such as the bucolic frolicing and say, the cricket game, it's an opening ceremony, not a pHD. (anyway, cricket is very apt, as it is one of the games that we invented/codified which the President Rogge later mentioned - and he is not part of Danny Boyles team
    3)The stunning forgeing of the rings
    4)We produce great children's literature
    5) We produce great music
    6) I'm a republican, but even I had to respect how game queenie was - and summed up our general self deprecating humour
    7) Mixing the epicness of Chariots with the (universal) comedy of Mr Bean - and one of our greatest conductors and orchestras play along with the gag.
    8) loads of those people in the ceremony were volunteers. and i mean real volunteers, not chinese "volunteers"
    9) although it was my least favourite part, and even though it has flaws - the NHS
    10) the whole lighting thing - from the choice of the seven young athletes, to the actual stunning torch itself.

But, Cleat "watched the news highlights" and his Italian friend, who represents all of Italy, nay, the rest of the world, were embarassed.

why not go and slag it off all over Tim Berners-Lee's world wide web?

I give you 5 rolly eyes :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

(have i just bit on a mahoosiff bit of trolling?)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172

I don't go in for the nouveau guilt over how we shaped the post industrial world. The transformation from a rolling green pastured land into something that looked like the Borg had dropped by was spectacular. The forging of the rings gave me goose bumps, it was so good.

Ergo, I thought it was excellent. I repeatedly found myself thinking "Ha! Stick that up yer arse, Beijing/Athens/Sydney/Atlanta".

Watching it with a few 10s of 1000s of other people in Hyde Park helped.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    PBO - Spot on.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Haha - so you've swallowed the myth of nationhood hook line and sinker. You are a tory admans dream.

The myh that the historical transition to an industrial nation occurred without resistance and struggle, a myth that communities and families that were destroyed had any representation to oppose changes to their working practices. No mention of the liberties that we all take for granted being bought by the blood of the working class. The propaganda that the monarch is in tune with the feelings of a nation, when in fact her presence was a massive two fingers to the poor of this country.

There was no mention of the inveterate racism in this country, no mention of the 1000's of innocent men woman and children we slaughtered to maintain an empire in the monarchs name. The propaganda that all are welcome here - as long as you adhere to the national trait of supporting governments (red and blue) in ordering bombs to be dropped on innocent men women and children for the simple reason that they have different coloured skins and the thoughts in their heads are different to ours.

I can see why some uncritical thinkers - happy to live in subjugation to authority would find the proceedings all very british and acceptable - and its summed up in your attitude to foreigners - of course an Italian can't have a valid opinion - he's not British is he, infect he shouldn't have any opinions about great nation - but you wont openly express your racism - thats not the british way.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Greg66 wrote:

Watching it with a few 10s of 1000s of other people in Hyde Park helped.

This is probably true, I think those in London would be surprised just how little interest there is the Games outside of the capital.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Haha - so you've swallowed the myth of nationhood hook line and sinker. You are a tory admans dream.

The myh that the historical transition to an industrial nation occurred without resistance and struggle, a myth that communities and families that were destroyed had any representation to oppose changes to their working practices. No mention of the liberties that we all take for granted being bought by the blood of the working class. The propaganda that the monarch is in tune with the feelings of a nation, when in fact her presence was a massive two fingers to the poor of this country.

There was no mention of the inveterate racism in this country, no mention of the 1000's of innocent men woman and children we slaughtered to maintain an empire in the monarchs name. The propaganda that all are welcome here - as long as you adhere to the national trait of supporting governments (red and blue) in ordering bombs to be dropped on innocent men women and children for the simple reason that they have different coloured skins and the thoughts in their heads are different to ours.

I can see why some uncritical thinkers - happy to live in subjugation to authority would find the proceedings all very british and acceptable - and its summed up in your attitude to foreigners - of course an Italian can't have a valid opinion - he's not British is he, infect he shouldn't have any opinions about great nation - but you wont openly express your racism - thats not the british way.

That Mr Bean is a right c*nt too.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul E

Whoa how long did you think they had for the ceremony and the Olympic movement is supposed to be unpolitical so all of that you have just written wouldn't be said anyway and where did it deny any of that took place.

I suggest going to speakers corner and having a good rant at people that might listen instead of running down a fantastic piece of work that showcased the country and our talents.

I work with a lot of different nationalities inc Italians and none of them have had nothing but praise for it or brought up any of the things you have and I am not racked with racism but thanks for basically accusing the whole country of it.

Sheesh. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    CiB wrote:
    I wouldn't normally say this to a group of people whose views I normally respect, cope with or smile at but errr...

Fark off. We - famille cib - have just sat entranced, overjoyed and enriched by the whole business. I know that the country seems to be populated by people who can't wait to be to be offended or put out or disappointed or miffed at what's served up for their delectation but for gawd's sake, that was superb from start to finish. Fcku I even enjoyed dizzy pest or whatever you call him.

It was utter brilliance, all of it.

Gordon Bennett.

could not have put it better!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    ( and also before anyone ask's, i do not live in the south of england and i am very excited about the whole of the games :wink: )
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • PBo
    OFFS - where to start?:

The myh that the historical transition to an industrial nation occurred without resistance and struggle, a myth that communities and families that were destroyed had any representation to oppose changes to their working practices. No mention of the liberties that we all take for granted being bought by the blood of the working class.

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    I see you can write, but can you read? If so, quote my text back, and use highlighting or whatever to show where I have denied any of this.
    I will quote this, which says the opposite:
    it was actually quite dystopian - effed up the countryside, and the poor people get hot, dirty and do the dangerous stuff whilst the top hats stand and look smug and slightly sinister as their money roles in?
    The propaganda that the monarch is in tune with the feelings of a nation, when in fact her presence was a massive two fingers to the poor of this country.

Were was this propaganda? Heads of state open Olympics. She was involved in a visual gag. Fair play. this does NOT qualify as in tune with the feelings of a nation. I've not said that, unless you wish to take the fact that I gave it as an example of typical British self deprecation, to suggest she is in tune. and if you do, its a logical fallacy

eeerrrr no, it was the olympic opening ceremony FFS, not a Simon Scharma documentary....does that mean that it was bad because of everything we DIDN'T mention? Is your italian friend just upset because we didn't give sufficient credit to the straight roads? Maybe we let Greece go first in the parade, so that Danny Boyle didn't have to apologise for the Elgin marbles using the medium of dance?
    I can see why some uncritical thinkers - happy to live in subjugation to authority would find the proceedings all very british and acceptable
    I bow down to you, as the only person on the internet who is capable of using critical thought - to analyse the news highlights??? Heres a headline from today's Guardian - "Mexican result radicalises students" - please tell me what they have failed to say about Mexico's history? Smug w4nker.
    - and its summed up in your attitude to foreigners - of course an Italian can't have a valid opinion - he's not British is he, infect he shouldn't have any opinions about great nation - but you wont openly express your racism - thats not the british way.

No, you f**king pr*ck!!!!! I just took the p1ss out of your "critical thinking" in the way you somehow tried to validate your opinion by quoting the texts of one Italian.

Apologise for calling me racist, and I'll apologise for calling you a f**king pr1ck. (you are a smug w4anker though).
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I liked it, displayed everything great about Britain and did so in that oh so - don't take yourself too serious - British way.

Felt that an Oasis song should have been played during the celebration of British music. But, all of it, were brilliant.

ETA:

The thing I enjoyed most about it was that it told a story.

The transition from an Isle of farmers to the heart of the industrial World was brilliant. That they used that to transform the set was amazing.

Isambard quoting Shakspeare.

The Industrial period forging the rings.

Celebrating the creator of the World Wide Web - he is not celebrated enough.

The cauldron alone was a work of art, honestly it was beautiful.

And the decision they took on who should light the torch.

Bottomline everyone will have their chosen moments, but all of it was brilliant. Proud of this nation, end of.
    As much as agreeing with you makes me feel physically sick, nail on head there. My only gripe ( I appreciate why darkness was required) it started and finished far too late. SKY+'d though.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

D

Here you can have one of my D's.

Wow... Though I'm not saying I agree.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Lord of the Rings meets Mary Poppins - shame about Macca though
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    PBo wrote:
    OFFS - where to start?:

The myh that the historical transition to an industrial nation occurred without resistance and struggle, a myth that communities and families that were destroyed had any representation to oppose changes to their working practices. No mention of the liberties that we all take for granted being bought by the blood of the working class.

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    I see you can write, but can you read? If so, quote my text back, and use highlighting or whatever to show where I have denied any of this.
    I will quote this, which says the opposite:
    it was actually quite dystopian - effed up the countryside, and the poor people get hot, dirty and do the dangerous stuff whilst the top hats stand and look smug and slightly sinister as their money roles in?
    The propaganda that the monarch is in tune with the feelings of a nation, when in fact her presence was a massive two fingers to the poor of this country.

Were was this propaganda? Heads of state open Olympics. She was involved in a visual gag. Fair play. this does NOT qualify as in tune with the feelings of a nation. I've not said that, unless you wish to take the fact that I gave it as an example of typical British self deprecation, to suggest she is in tune. and if you do, its a logical fallacy

eeerrrr no, it was the olympic opening ceremony FFS, not a Simon Scharma documentary....does that mean that it was bad because of everything we DIDN'T mention? Is your italian friend just upset because we didn't give sufficient credit to the straight roads? Maybe we let Greece go first in the parade, so that Danny Boyle didn't have to apologise for the Elgin marbles using the medium of dance?
    I can see why some uncritical thinkers - happy to live in subjugation to authority would find the proceedings all very british and acceptable
    I bow down to you, as the only person on the internet who is capable of using critical thought - to analyse the news highlights??? Heres a headline from today's Guardian - "Mexican result radicalises students" - please tell me what they have failed to say about Mexico's history? Smug w4nker.
    - and its summed up in your attitude to foreigners - of course an Italian can't have a valid opinion - he's not British is he, infect he shouldn't have any opinions about great nation - but you wont openly express your racism - thats not the british way.

No, you f**king pr*ck!!!!! I just took the p1ss out of your "critical thinking" in the way you somehow tried to validate your opinion by quoting the texts of one Italian.

Apologise for calling me racist, and I'll apologise for calling you a f**king pr1ck. (you are a smug w4anker though).
    Just so you know, PBo, this isn't the first person you've annoyed the crap out of today. Not taking sides or anything, just popping in for a quick visit on someone else's discussion.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have to admit that the first thing that crossed my mind upon seeIng the green mountain and sparks flying was an overwhelming urge to shout "all hail Sauron" :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • PBo
    Just so you know, PBo, this isn't the first person you've annoyed the crap out of today. Not taking sides or anything, just popping in for a quick visit on someone else's discussion.

Who are you? the internet police? How do you know Cleat has had the crap annoyed out of him? He could be laughing at me for all you or I know - he hasn't been back to answer (or apologise for calling me racist for that matter - so he HAS annoyed the crap out of me...)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    "Is there a bigger c*ck than someone who posts on t'interweb then gets snarky and insulting when the world doesn't agree?"
  • PBo
    "Is there a bigger c*ck than someone who posts on t'interweb then gets snarky and insulting when the world doesn't agree?"

that's what i wrote about you, yes......
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I really enjoyed it, especially the forging of the rings and the bit with the Queen and James Bond. I'm an anti-royalist, and not keen on Bond, but even I screamed when I saw it - how Danny Boyle managed to persuade her to do that I'll never know.

Anyway, what I really want to know is, where can I get a set of those glow in the dark wings to wear on my my winter evening commutes home? You'd see me for miles flapping my way up Oldham Road :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    SimonAH wrote:
    I have to admit that the first thing that crossed my mind upon seeIng the green mountain and sparks flying was an overwhelming urge to shout "all hail Sauron" :-D

Began with Hobbit type lifestyle, followed by wicked industrial Saruman types, forging of the rings, orc type creatures giving children nightmares, Mary P to the rescue.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The musical montage was magnificent, with the video clips projected onto the house centre-stage. Don't normally go in for these sort of things, but I thought that they did an excellent job. I was converted when they started to play the Sex Pistols.....
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Thought it marvellous, madcap and great entertainment. So glad it didn't feature the Dave Spart-style agit-prop that Cleat Eastwood appears to be angling for- synchronised hand-wringing about the Slave Trade, mass hair-shirt donning for Imperialistic subjugation and giant animatronic effigies of Wat Tyler, Guido Fawkes & Oliver Cromwell.
    Gussio wrote:
    The musical montage was magnificent, with the video clips projected onto the house centre-stage. Don't normally go in for these sort of things, but I thought that they did an excellent job. I was converted when they started to play the Sex Pistols.....

And understandably, not that song. Bouncing punks FTW!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DrLex wrote:
    Thought it marvellous, madcap and great entertainment. So glad it didn't feature the Dave Spart-style agit-prop that Cleat Eastwood appears to be angling for- synchronised hand-wringing about the Slave Trade, mass hair-shirt donning for Imperialistic subjugation and giant animatronic effigies of Wat Tyler, Guido Fawkes & Oliver Cromwell.
    Gussio wrote:

Not which song?

They played god save the queen
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    There were some nice touches - Daniel Craig as Bond with the Queen, Beckham driving the boat and looking smoother than Bond, the forging of the rings, but overall I was mostly sat on the sofa thinking wtf. I really wanted to like it, but all the historical references just didn't do it for me. To me the Olympics isn't about past glory, it's about hope and inspiration for the future.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    10/10.

Was beaming from ear to ear for all of it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    SimonAH wrote:

Began with Hobbit type lifestyle, followed by wicked industrial Saruman types, forging of the rings, orc type creatures giving children nightmares, Mary P to the rescue.

Now I wonder where that Tolkien got his ideas from, hmmmm. ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    jimmypippa wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Not which song?

They played god save the queen
    Wasn't it Pretty Vacant?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Paul E
    It was god save the queen for about 5 seconds during the video of the journey along the thames as it went over tower bridge