Opening ceremony

13»

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    10/10.

Was beaming from ear to ear for all of it.

Really?

I am surprised.

There's hope for you yet, my boy... :mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    rjsterry wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

They played god save the queen
    Wasn't it Pretty Vacant?

They played both of them but more of Pretty Vacant.

I enjoyed it but then again, I'm biased since I was in it.

Those saying that it had no political leanings were obviously watching something different to me. I thought the emphasis on British protests (Jarrow March and Suffragettes) were an obvious riposte to Beijing's Olympics. And having Voldemort loom over the nurses could be perceived quite easily as a comment on the threats to the NHS. Not to mention that we went from a set countryside to industry to an empty stage with projections; a statement on our economy?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    You can twist anything to mean anything else, just look at what some nutters interpret the bible to tell them to do.
  • I thought it was bloody brilliant. I'd just returned from a week in the US, and to me it did a pretty good job of showcasing the good in us: our invention, our creativity, our diversity - some of the things that I'd hope the rest of the world know about. It's not very British to point these things out, but we should occasionally take pride in what we can achieve.

The scale and the execution was superb, as was the music. I was entranced the whole time, and I watched it all again the next day with the kids, and they were just the same. In no way could we compete with Beijing at what they did - probably only the North Koreans could, but they certainly couldn't compete with this. Spectacular.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I thought it was bloody brilliant. I'd just returned from a week in the US, and to me it did a pretty good job of showcasing the good in us: our invention, our creativity, our diversity - some of the things that I'd hope the rest of the world know about. It's not very British to point these things out, but we should occasionally take pride in what we can achieve.

The scale and the execution was superb, as was the music. I was entranced the whole time, and I watched it all again the next day with the kids, and they were just the same. In no way could we compete with Beijing at what they did - probably only the North Koreans could, but they certainly couldn't compete with this. Spectacular.

In order to follow Bejing, there had to be something different, celebrating various protests including ones that succeeded (Suffragettes, for example) was something that they wouldn't have dared to do. Nor could there be even affectionate mockery of the head of state. If you wanted something surprising, the queen pretending to parachute into the stadium probably would suffice - it wasn't top of my list of expected scenes during the ceremony.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    PBo wrote:
    OFFS - where to start?:
    Haha - so you've swallowed the myth of nationhood hook line and sinker. You are a tory admans dream.

The myh that the historical transition to an industrial nation occurred without resistance and struggle, a myth that communities and families that were destroyed had any representation to oppose changes to their working practices. No mention of the liberties that we all take for granted being bought by the blood of the working class.

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    I see you can write, but can you read? If so, quote my text back, and use highlighting or whatever to show where I have denied any of this.
    I will quote this, which says the opposite:
    it was actually quite dystopian - effed up the countryside, and the poor people get hot, dirty and do the dangerous stuff whilst the top hats stand and look smug and slightly sinister as their money roles in?
    The propaganda that the monarch is in tune with the feelings of a nation, when in fact her presence was a massive two fingers to the poor of this country.

Were was this propaganda? Heads of state open Olympics. She was involved in a visual gag. Fair play. this does NOT qualify as in tune with the feelings of a nation. I've not said that, unless you wish to take the fact that I gave it as an example of typical British self deprecation, to suggest she is in tune. and if you do, its a logical fallacy
    There was no mention of the inveterate racism in this country, no mention of the 1000's of innocent men woman and children we slaughtered to maintain an empire in the monarchs name. The propaganda that all are welcome here - as long as you adhere to the national trait of supporting governments (red and blue) in ordering bombs to be dropped on innocent men women and children for the simple reason that they have different coloured skins and the thoughts in their heads are different to ours.

eeerrrr no, it was the olympic opening ceremony FFS, not a Simon Scharma documentary....does that mean that it was bad because of everything we DIDN'T mention? Is your italian friend just upset because we didn't give sufficient credit to the straight roads? Maybe we let Greece go first in the parade, so that Danny Boyle didn't have to apologise for the Elgin marbles using the medium of dance?
    I can see why some uncritical thinkers - happy to live in subjugation to authority would find the proceedings all very british and acceptable
    I bow down to you, as the only person on the internet who is capable of using critical thought - to analyse the news highlights??? Heres a headline from today's Guardian - "Mexican result radicalises students" - please tell me what they have failed to say about Mexico's history? Smug w4nker.
    - and its summed up in your attitude to foreigners - of course an Italian can't have a valid opinion - he's not British is he, infect he shouldn't have any opinions about great nation - but you wont openly express your racism - thats not the british way.

No, you f**king pr*ck!!!!! I just took the p1ss out of your "critical thinking" in the way you somehow tried to validate your opinion by quoting the texts of one Italian.

Apologise for calling me racist, and I'll apologise for calling you a f**king pr1ck. (you are a smug w4anker though).

You alone are responsible for your bigoted attitude to other races/cultures just as you too are responsible for your own insecurities - there are some things in life we have to take responsibility for ourselves. It's part of being one of these, so no apologies for seeing in you what undoubtedly you wish had remained hidden.

Re - the ceremony, I had a text from a friend in London who said that she could feel the spirit of a party atmosphere all around after the ceremony - excellent, I daresay, being in close proximity to the build up probably would make one feel a sense of pride - on TV though, with all of its limitations I guess I just didn't get that.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    If you see racism in my comment - which I have explained to you - then you are the one who needs to grow up and be an adult. Or develop the critical capabilities of one at least.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Some bits they did very well, especially the lighting thing. The comedy bits worked.

But generally, I thought it was a bit odd. Why emphasise the NHS? It wasn't the first and it isn't the best. Any foreigner I've spoken to that's used the NHS while over here can never understand why we make such a big deal about it (this includes Americans, Auz/Kiwi and many Europeans). Maybe we don't spend enough, but that's a different argument.

The whole event made us look quite backwards. I still cringe when they do the introductions. Her majesty, your majesties, IOC tw*ts, distinguished guest and the plebs.

And then roll out McCartney at the end. He couldn't sing 50 years ago, he's hardly gonna be better now!
    exercise.png
  • i was confused, when the announcers where calling out names of countries etc.. it was in French first and then English, i'm sorry but I thought the Olympics were in GB not France?
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    i was confused, when the announcers where calling out names of countries etc.. it was in French first and then English, i'm sorry but I thought the Olympics were in GB not France?

Likewise, but French is the official language of the IOC.

(can't use #blamecanada either)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited July 2012
    I liked it, i must admit i had a lump in my throat when they were showing the torch bearers but then loads of celebrity's came on an ruined it

parts were odd especially the nhs bit but i loved the rings being forged, an the cauldron
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Loved it, wife loved it and junior loved it - we all wound up dancing around the front room like nutters to the music section.

As for any pseudo underhand political references, stuff it, it was an Olympics opening ceremony and should be taken as such and allot of volunteers gave up an extraordinary amount of time to make it happen for the likes of us....And I would like to say 'Thanks, it was great'.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I loved it, was really impressed. Could pick holes in couple of moments that I didn't like, but as a whole it was incredibly ambitious and very well executed. Great job!
  • wormo
    wormo Posts: 30
    For my two penneth, I thought it was brilliant. Showed we don't take ourselves too seriously (apart from a few I could mention! :) )

There are always going to be bits that were better than others but this may be down to taste as I have spoken to people who loved the NHS section because they used actual NHS staff.

Its too easy to come onto a forum and slag something off for whatever reason but you will never see these people put their heads above the parapet. Would be interesting to see what they would have done for a 3 1/2 hr show.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    TheStone wrote:
    Some bits they did very well, especially the lighting thing. The comedy bits worked.

But generally, I thought it was a bit odd. Why emphasise the NHS? It wasn't the first and it isn't the best. Any foreigner I've spoken to that's used the NHS while over here can never understand why we make such a big deal about it (this includes Americans, Auz/Kiwi and many Europeans). Maybe we don't spend enough, but that's a different argument.
    The NHS is among the best health systems (possibly the best) for efficiency and outcome. Of all the things the UK did in the 20th century, creation of the NHS is right up there and worth celebrating (says this kiwi who's lived the US health-system, too).
    The whole event made us look quite backwards. I still cringe when they do the introductions. Her majesty, your majesties, IOC tw*ts, distinguished guest and the plebs.
    Protocol and they can't avoid it. Short of unplugging the mic, there's no way of avoiding the IoC giving a dirge of a speech, unfortunately.
    And then roll out McCartney at the end. He couldn't sing 50 years ago, he's hardly gonna be better now!
    No way, no how, can you be serious about saying McCartney couldn't sing in the 60s! Is there anyone on earth who can honestly claim not to like even a single Macca tune?

I loved the ceremony. Even the countdown was brilliant (EC2 - I work there!!! :))
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I went it to it with low expectation, thought it would be cheesy and naff it wasn't. Loved it. Music was fantastic. Thought the Artic Monkeys doing Come together was brilliant.

Was it political, maybe, maybe not.....

Someone at the BBC or OBS should be shot for the mistake with the sound at the start of Hey Jude though...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5