Hernia Op - How long off the bike?

dw300
dw300 Posts: 1,642
I believe they're going to say something like 6 weeks .. but realistically when could I be cycling again?
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I had mine done last September. If it had gone well I could have been back on within a few weeks, but the after care wasn't so hot and the wound got infected, so it took a couple more weeks to properly heal up. Started back again though in October. Nothing too heavy, just base mile kinda pace but you should be back on the bike in less than 6 weeks.

I suspect we're all different though so just see how you feel. Allow yourself a month off without feeling guilty. That way you're not tempted to rush back before you're ready.
  • dw300
    phreak wrote:
    I had mine done last September. If it had gone well I could have been back on within a few weeks, but the after care wasn't so hot and the wound got infected, so it took a couple more weeks to properly heal up. Started back again though in October. Nothing too heavy, just base mile kinda pace but you should be back on the bike in less than 6 weeks.

I suspect we're all different though so just see how you feel. Allow yourself a month off without feeling guilty. That way you're not tempted to rush back before you're ready.

Thanks man.

I'm just not sure what I'd do for a month if I wasn't riding the bike or training! Staying off the bike would be pretty hard after the first week or two I'd imagine.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Yeah I was much the same, so timed mine for after my last main ride of the year, and then treated the recovery period as a close season break.
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Keyhole or are they cutting you straight open? I had keyhole 2 years back, was probably off the bike 3 weeks max, first two weeks you're pretty swollen and sore, starting to fade away after 3 weeks, then just take it very easy, no 'straining'.
  • dw300
    I'm not sure .. the letter I got for the procedure doesn't even mention what it's for!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I've had two hernia's repaired. One through open surgery, one through keyhole.

The former is a lot more painful, and will keep you from riding for quite a while I would imagine (as in, it took me a week or so before I could walk without having quite a lot of pain - and probably a month before I did anything more than that).

Keyhole is ok though, took probably about 5 days before walking was fine, and then maybe 2 weeks before I was almost back to normal. However, its very important not to push yourself too much I think. Its amazing how much you rely on the core to move and generally do everything, getting out of bed, even adjusting your pillow just after the op will be very painful.

But if there is a choice, go keyhole, much quicker recovery time. And the scar will be smaller.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • dw300
    okgo wrote:
    I've had two hernia's repaired. One through open surgery, one through keyhole.

The former is a lot more painful, and will keep you from riding for quite a while I would imagine (as in, it took me a week or so before I could walk without having quite a lot of pain - and probably a month before I did anything more than that).

Keyhole is ok though, took probably about 5 days before walking was fine, and then maybe 2 weeks before I was almost back to normal. However, its very important not to push yourself too much I think. Its amazing how much you rely on the core to move and generally do everything, getting out of bed, even adjusting your pillow just after the op will be very painful.

But if there is a choice, go keyhole, much quicker recovery time. And the scar will be smaller.

Great info about the keyhole surgery and recovery times, thanks fellas.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I've had two keyhole ops too.. You'll be up and about in no time if its a simple one.

My first was a burst appendix so I had a horrible recovery and it was a lot more painful as they must have done quite a bit of shifting around inside to clear the mess up. Took me ages before I felt up to doing sport again. Probably could have pushed myself into something gentle after a month.

Second Op was to drain an infection 6 months later as a result of the burst appendix. I felt fine after two weeks. No pain at all.

You obviously need to talk to a doctor.. but light exercise is possible after a few weeks. Not sure if I'd cycle though.. would probably do a bit of running first.

but I don't think you'll be off for more than a month. Not back to 100% but you should be able to hop on the turbo at least.
  • clunkychunky
    clunkychunky Posts: 178
    Think it depends on where the hernia is.
    I have a small Epigastric hernia and am due to have key hole surgery in 3 weeks.
    However, the consultant assured my that i will be walking comfortably within 3-5 days and provided there is no complication, i should be able to start doing light cycling in 2-3 weeks.

One thing i will make sure of though is that i don't attempt to get back on bike (including the turbo) until i have been given the ok to. I have learnt from experience that if you attempt to train too soon after surgery you turn a few weeks out in to a few months!
  • onlyonearrow
    onlyonearrow Posts: 157
    I had an inguinal hernia repair last year by conventional surgery. Surgeon felt recovery time wasn't really much quicker using keyhole and risks were slightly higher. Either way you are likely to be in and out in the same day, certainly no more than one night in. You should be 'toddling' about within a couple of days and then it's likely you will be told to take plenty short walks on the flat -the stretching helps randomise scar tissue formation. After about 6 days I was walking about 3 miles, stitches came out on the 7 day. Surgeon advised 3-4 weeks before cycling. I had my first cycle about 4 weeks after the operation.

There was an column/question on this in this months Cycling Plus.