Nodders

OneForTheRoad
OneForTheRoad Posts: 85
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Afternoon all,

Coming in from South Croydon to Southwark Bridge this morning the roads seemed packed not with traffic but with other cyclists, usually I don't see another sole until Brixton Hill.

Most had strange cycling styles, went very slowly and didn't behave particularly safely (RLJ and undertaking at junctions etc). I referred to them as nodders in my head and was for some strange reason tempted to let everybody else know that I've been commuting by bike for about 8 months now and am not simply cycling because of the Olympics or Wiggins.

It got me thinking though:

I don't wear lycra, my commuter is a 20 year old MTB, I drink water from a normal plastic bottle that is stuffed in a normal non cycling rucksack and as I said have been commuting by bike for around 8 months.

On the plus side:

I cycle at a decent pace, I don't think I look strange when I pedal, am very rarely passed, obey traffic laws, am considerate to other cyclists and do approx 15miles each way 5 days a week.

Am I a nodder? If so then when do I stop becoming one?
One for the road.....
The beer not the bike!
FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I cycle at a decent pace, I don't think I look strange when I pedal, am very rarely passed, obey traffic laws, am considerate to other cyclists and do approx 15miles each way 5 days a week.

Am I a nodder?

No.
    But if you've been commuting for 8 months is the lure of a shiny new road bike not becoming irresistible...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Who can tell? There are plenty of nodders in full lycra and on bling bikes. ;)

From the penultimate paragraph it sounds like you were never a nodder anyway.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    For the literal meaning. Does your head bob up and down as you pedal?
    In general it's more like someone the rides in a clueless fashion. Doesn't sound like you do.
  • dhope wrote:

Am I a nodder?

No.
    But if you've been commuting for 8 months is the lure of a shiny new road bike not becoming irresistible...

Afraid not, never had one and never wanted one, besides the pot holes of Croydon would surely destroy anything other than good old fashioned steel tubes!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's more 'accurate' to call them POBs

Pedestrians On Bikes.

People who see bikes as extensions to walking and that the rules of the road do not apply to them. As opposed to cyclists who realise that they are on a road vehicle and act accordingly.

I saw hundreds of these on the last stretch of the 100 mile sportive a couple of weeks back when we joined the 48 mile 'challenge' route.

It was a little scary seeing the almost complete lack of road sense from people, most of whom you know must have driving licences.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    dhope wrote:

Am I a nodder?

No.

Afraid not, never had one and never wanted one, besides the pot holes of Croydon would surely destroy anything other than good old fashioned steel tubes!
    I do a similar route to you from Croydon but carry straight on over London Bridge. Have commuted on both steel and alu road bikes and I wouldn't say the latter is any less durable than the former. There is a world of difference between a road bike and a MTB though. Try one and you may change your mind.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:

Amen to that.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    The more nodders the better. Some of them will stick at it and become 'proper' cyclists. And the more cyclists we have, the safer it'll be.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    You sound dangerous from a SCR perspective.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,608
    kelsen wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Am I a nodder?

No.

I do a similar route to you from Croydon but carry straight on over London Bridge. Have commuted on both steel and alu road bikes and I wouldn't say the latter is any less durable than the former. There is a world of difference between a road bike and a MTB though. Try one and you may change your mind.

Indeed. "good old fashioned steel tubes" were used on road bikes for the best part of 100 years before MTB's were even thought of.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sewinman
    cje wrote:
    The more nodders the better. Some of them will stick at it and become 'proper' cyclists. And the more cyclists we have, the safer it'll be.

I agree with that. I tend to view nodders in the same way as I would view a Labrador puppy - they can do the most awful things but I fondly forgive them.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    JonGinge wrote:

Amen to that.

Seconded.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i must have looked like a nodder this morning, riding a look 695 and riding very slowly.

however i destroyed myself last night out for a ride so had nothing left in the tank
  • Sewinman wrote:

This is a contributing factor in not changing to a road bike, need to keep the FCN high enough to avoid and inflict maximum embarrassment!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• Sewinman
    Sewinman wrote:

This is a contributing factor in not changing to a road bike, need to keep the FCN high enough to avoid and inflict maximum embarrassment!

You are a bandit then! Shameful.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I prefer my newly coined phrase of "Transnodder, cyclist in disguise"
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm leaving guards on the commuter in the hope that it'll make it appear as 'functional' rather than 'proper rapid SS'
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    Sewinman wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I think there's a lot to be said for it. I got a couple sneaky KOMs in Bushy Park on my old Marin MTB, one of them was in the snow. An old rigid MTB can be pretty fast, reminds me I need to change the headset bearings in that.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I blame Wiggins (see what I did there ?)
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Their worst trait is pulling out from the kerb to overtake an even slower nodder without bothering to look over their shoulder.

I had to literally manhandle a nodder the other day because he swung out into my path.

I'm happy to see people cycling but most other cyclists are dickheads.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    have seen a lot of shiny new folk on shiny new bikes of late.

But to be honest at least out here they aren't a problem, saw a few today, I passed wide and about twice their speed and that was that.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I think there's a lot to be said for it. I got a couple sneaky KOMs in Bushy Park on my old Marin MTB, one of them was in the snow. An old rigid MTB can be pretty fast, reminds me I need to change the headset bearings in that.

I'll second that.

While I secretly want drop bars and exotic materials my trusty mid 90s rigid MTB makes every roadie I overtake wince in shame just a bit.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Without being in any way elitist or disrespectful to those in the early stages of their biking lives, I use two definitions only; there are 'Cyclists' and there are 'People on Bikes'. Its not about the bike (sorry Lance) or the kit - its the attitude, behaviour and competency of the individual that defines one or the other.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Personally I think a nodder isn't determined by the length of time they've spent riding a bike, but the road sense, etiquette and judgement they display while on a bike.

I think of 'nodders' in the same way I do a 'Sunday driver'.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Angry Cervelo Guy rides about like a nodder, he's just on more expensive kit.
  • On the plus side:

Am I a nodder? If so then when do I stop becoming one?

Sorry I take this last part back.

Hot weather and twenty something girl in hot pants and boob tube equals distraction, squeeling of brakes and a soft thudding noise as I go into the back of a bus.

I hang/nod my head in shame.....
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• veronese68

Hot weather and twenty something girl in hot pants and boob tube equals distraction, squeeling of brakes and a soft thudding noise as I go into the back of a bus.

Ha ha, it's easily done. Hope nothing but your pride is bruised. Lots of distractions out there in this weather, be careful people.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ha ha, it's easily done. Hope nothing but your pride is bruised. Lots of distractions out there in this weather, be careful people.

I often discuss the merits of this with my friends who are stuck on PT, with sweaty people where as I get to view the lovely sights that occur in the summer. :D:D
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    No ridden in for a few days as I was off work - but this morning I did see a few examples of dangerous riding.

Out of about 12 cyclists I was the only one to stop at a red light - but I finally got really annoyed when two went straight across a roundabout causing a car on their right to break hard. I am not the safest on the road but they were just crazy!
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Saw a bloke on a MTB undertake a left-indicating bus last night. He was halfway alongside when the lights went green, and only the sharp-awareness of the bus driver stopped him from being in a bus / railing sandwich.

The thing is, when they see experienced cyclists sat behind buses in primary, what do they think we do it for?