Rider Down - New Kings Road / Wandsworth Bridge Road

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Must have happened early rush hour. Left turning tipper truck with what looked like a very mangled bike under the rear wheels. Police cordoned off all approaches and the air ambulance was parked on the common, worryingly it wasn't going anywhere. I really really hope it's not what it looked like, rode home in a very sombre mood after that. Thoughts with the rider. :cry:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• Wasn't nice to see, was it. :(
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Woman rider who suffered life changing, but not life threatening, injuries according to a policeman at the scene.

Get well soon. Looked horrendous.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Not good. Took a new route that avoided the carnage today. Think I'll be doing it from now on.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    London-Red wrote:
    Woman rider who suffered life changing, but not life threatening, injuries according to a policeman at the scene.

Christ. Really? That sounds like amputation or paralysis. Poor woman.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Greg66 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

:(
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've heard it a lot, never really know what it means.

A broken leg is life changing for a few months at least.....here's hoping it's 'only' something like that.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

:(

I went through around 7.45. Fingers crossed for her.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Went past at 9.15, police were just leaving carrying some very mangled bike parts and the road looked as though it had been hosed down - it looked very nasty. Here's hoping for the best.
  • Is there any news on this? Horrible sight on the way home. Can't find anything on any of the news sites yet.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Went past about 8:15 when they were still investigating the scene. I feared the worst. Concentrating during the rest of the ride wasn't easy.

Here's to a good recovery.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    echo everything that's already been said. really awful. when i saw the air ambulance wasn't going anywhere i really feared the worst. thoughts are with the person and their family.

just a reminder that no matter how good you're feeling, how nice the weather, how quick your segment times, all it takes is a little slip - by you or someone else - and everything can change. so yeah, heal up to the person involved, and take care everyone else.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • okgo
    Well we don't know how it happened do we. For all we know it could be the usual clueless rider riding up the inside like a lemming! Which I would imagine most of us do not do.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    even if it is
    the usual clueless rider riding up the inside like a lemming
    I hope she hasnt lost her legs
  • The light wasn't great at that time. Very blinding, difficult to see at times even with sunglasses on. Best to be extra cautious coming up to junctions.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm sure you all do it anyway, but give lorries a lot of space and don't ever go up the inside while they're moving or likely to move.

This morning an articulated lorry with trailor suddenly, without indicating swerved left to park up by the side of the road on Cheyne Walk.

Had I been filtering up the left - since there was plenty of room at the time, I'd have had a similar fate.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    everyone's chanced a gap at some stage, right? everyone's taken one burnt amber... or found themselves in the wrong place at a confusing junction they've never ridden before... or even had one pint too many. and even if you've always ridden completely blamelessly and in perfect accordance with assertive cycling practice, there's absolutely no accounting for other road users.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Very sad sight. I could see a shopping basket on the bike, under the wheels.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    However it hapened it is a devastating circumstance to find yourself in.

I would rather avoid talk that leads to attributing blame until the full details are known.

Even if it was 'the usual clueless rider riding up the inside like a lemming' it is still a terrible circumstance to be in.

My thoughts are with the rider. Take extra care everyone.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    hope rider is ok, sounds awful
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :( Absolutely terrible.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • okgo
    Horrible.

Do we need these huge vehicles in central london during rush hour?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    okgo wrote:
    Horrible.

Often has this thought - especially on roads that aren't wide.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    okgo wrote:
    Horrible.

Often has this thought - especially on roads that aren't wide.

Think this was raised before. One potential problem - pointed out to me rather than made by me - was that you then have a larger number of lorries on the road during off peak hours, which may increase the risk to those on, eg, night shifts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • okgo
    But how many people are doing those?

Got to think of the majority I reckon.

Having said all that, I still think some sort of test for rider proficiency should be put in place. Lets forget about this incident for a second and what actually happened. Would anyone on here even dream of going up the inside of the truck in that picture?
  • Green Brompton
    Green Brompton Posts: 972
    edited July 2012
    She was on the inside of the lorry, and the lorry had only gone a few meters, so it looks as though she got caught as they were both pulling out from the lights. :(

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    That stretch of road from the NKR to putney bridge is full of hazardous junctions, zebra crossings that are too close to junctions/ each other and (lets face it) dipsticks in chelsea tractors. This is the 2nd or 3rd serious accident on that stretch in the last few months, and it needs a real rethink of the road layout to protect cyclists IMO.
  • okgo wrote:
    But how many people are doing those?

Got to think of the majority I reckon.

Having said all that, I still think some sort of test for rider proficiency should be put in place. Lets forget about this incident for a second and what actually happened. Would anyone on here even dream of going up the inside of the truck in that picture?

Sometimes I've taken risks. Not really anymore, I stay behind, unless I know the light sequence, but this can be liable to change. Not if there are railings though. Not at all then.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    The New Kings Road is a bloody gauntlet. Easily the most dangerous part of my 20 mile commute.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    There are much bigger vehicles than that lorry on the roads of London - buses and coaches etc. I think its the design of the vehicles not the size that seems to be the issue....they simply don't seem to see other road users properly.