which of these bikes is better?

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know some of you have seen me post lots lately but I have narrowed my search for a new bike down to these:

Commencal Premier HD 4: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=66758

Rockrider 8.0: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-80-id_8194500.html

The Commencal does seem better value for my money but I am worried that the sale might be off by the time I get the money, I will get the money on my birthday (9th of September). If the sale does go off by them I won't be-able to buy it for £539. I will be doing dirt trails and some XC, to those who have seen my threads from before I have decided to buy a hard-tail now and save up for a proper DH bike.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Both are shit Id guess.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

There's a helpful reply!

Rockrider would be my choice there though for the money the Commencal is pretty good
  • cammyb96
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

what do you mean, "both are shoot"?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Shoot, means sh!t
  • cammyb96
    Shoot, means sh!t

haha I thought that but tbh they are the best in my price range :D
  • They are both ok and will do you fine for a first bike! I love the colour of the Commencal and cant stand the look of the Rockrider, however, the RR does have a few better components.

Have you considered Second hand? Theres a couple of bikes in the Trade section now that might suit? If you are willing to learn how to fix and fiddle then the SH route can get you a better specced bike for the money.

Its not easy getting the right thing and it can be confusing when you ask for advice. At the end of the day, there is no real right or wrong unless you are doing a specific discipline like DH where its vital to get something that wont leave you dead! If it gives you pleasure, gets you out and about then thats the main thing and both of those bikes you mention will do that! You can always upgrade parts later.
  • cammyb96
    I'll check those out but I want a bike that will last long so I can do some XC whilst also having a DH bike from the money I save up later.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

Idiotic reply.

I'd go for the Rockrider if it were my cash.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • styxd
    Why not wait till you get your birthday money then looks for a 2nd hand bike for £539. You'll get alot mroe for your money (maybe even a very basic downhill bike)
  • styxd
    waby1234 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

Idiotic reply.

No its not, its the truth! Everyone knows that!

How can a bike that costs less than my Fox suspension forks be any good?!?!
  • cammyb96
    styxd wrote:
    Why not wait till you get your birthday money then looks for a 2nd hand bike for £539. You'll get alot mroe for your money (maybe even a very basic downhill bike)

yeah I'll look into second hand before I buy!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    styxd wrote:
    Seriously??

And I thought I was a bit of a bike snob.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • styxd wrote:

Thats less than a month and a half. £500+ will open up a world of very very nicely specced bikes for you. Forget the DH bikes as you will never use it!
  • cammyb96
    styxd wrote:

Thats less than a month and a half. £500+ will open up a world of very very nicely specced bikes for you. Forget the DH bikes as you will never use it!

sounds good, I will see how my money falls into place I might have more than £500 it all depends on my EMA money and how much birthday money I get
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    oodboo wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Seriously??

And I thought I was a bit of a bike snob.
    Seriously? Now I just have to save up for a Mclaren FI car. Mine must be total rubbish as it costs less tham Hamiltons seat.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    styxd wrote:
    waby1234 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

Idiotic reply.

Congratulations, that is a really helpful thing to say to someone getting into mtb on a budget. Excellent work.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    styxd wrote:
    waby1234 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

Idiotic reply.

You're an idiot
    My Rockshox Boxxers cost £1000 but I'm more than happy with my £800 XC bike. To be honest I think Fox forks are very overpriced.
  • styxd
    styxd wrote:
    waby1234 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

Idiotic reply.

You're an idiot
    My Rockshox Boxxers cost £1000 but I'm more than happy with my £800 XC bike. To be honest I think Fox forks are very overpriced.

You and many of the others are clearly the idiots. £500 bikes are generally shit, if they were any good then Im sure everyone would be using them instead of spending £1000's on good bikes.

Although Im not sure why you're all getting wound up with me telling it like it is. Are you forgetting that you can infact still have fun on a shit bike?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    The Rockrider is lighter with better kit so I would buy that but both would not be bad buys. The Commencal probably looks better and may carry more bragging power with your mates (I think I read you are 15 so I'd imagine looks and showing off are important).

Either would be money well spent - The RR would be money better spent.
    styxd wrote:

Ignore people like this, he can shove his Fox suspension forks up his arse (he would have to remove his head first though).
  • cammyb96
    thanks supersonic andTwellySmat! and please don't feed the troll!
  • Twelly
    Not a troll unfortunately, just a douche.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    styxd wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    waby1234 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Both are shoot Id guess.

Idiotic reply.

You're an idiot

You and many of the others are clearly the idiots. £500 bikes are generally shoot, if they were any good then Im sure everyone would be using them instead of spending £1000's on good bikes.

Although Im not sure why you're all getting wound up with me telling it like it is. Are you forgetting that you can infact still have fun on a shoot bike?

What do you suggest he does then if that is his budget? Buy some Fox forks and look at them?

You can indeed have fun you on a rubbish bike, but these are entry level bikes, not rubbish bikes. Just because you're a biking god to whom money is no object doesn't mean the rest of us are.

I think the reason people decided to respond to your comment is because it couldn't have been any less helpful, wasn't funny, and made you sound like a complete tool.

As someone else said, next time you decide to be really unhelpful to someone who genuinely wanted help, why not go and shove your fox forks up your bum instead? Sideways.
  • cammyb96
    edited July 2012
    I just spotted a Commencal Meta 55 frame with shock included going really cheap (£50)!, should I snap this up to begin my DH bike build?
  • Twelly
    Stolen, broken or both. Avoid.
  • cammyb96
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Stolen, broken or both. Avoid.

ah ok here's the link anyway

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commencal-Met ... 500wt_1361
  • Twelly
    Where does that say it's 'going for £50'?

It's an eBay auction with 3 days left, could go for £1000 for all you know...
  • cammyb96
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Where does that say it's 'going for £50'?

It's an eBay auction with 3 days left, could go for £1000 for all you know...

yeah, I'll just leave it haha
  • Twelly
    By all means, put a £50 bid on it. You won't win but you can bid all you like.