Which bike to buy?

2»

Comments

• smartn
    smartn Posts: 27
    Mdon wrote:
    smartn wrote:
    Just upgraded my hardrock sport disc with new hydraulic brakes (deore M596 £95) and rockshox silver tk fork (£120). This was following advice on this forum and I've certainly no regrets. I think the way a bike feels makes you want to ride it more, not the way it looks. Shame you need new wheels on yours though as that does make it a tough call.

Cheers for that, I have Given a lot of thought to upgrading the one I already have but to me it's going to cost too much. Why is the specialized frame so much better than the other three bikes to justify keeping it?

It was an easier call for me as my Hardrock was only just over a year old and I could fit new hydraulic brakes without the worry of new wheels/rotors. The brakes and forks I got in my opinion are better than on the 3 bikes you mentioned and the bike feels lighter on the front now (the suntour fork on the original hardrock was pretty poor and very heavy).

If I was in your position I would be tempted to buy new as well but would probably go for the voodoo hoodoo that seems very highly rated around here but it is a little over your budget but I reckon you would feel like you had done a proper upgrade whereas the bikes you are looking at might not feel that different to the hardrock you have got.
  • Mdon
    Mdon Posts: 18
    What about a cube analog disc 2012? I have the option of getting one of these at a discounted price.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Still not as good as your bike could be.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Mdon wrote:
    Mdon wrote:
    I wouldn't bother replacing the wheels are they are fine but either way puts the cost way above £250 so therefore isn't worth doing, cheaper to buy another bike which will hopefully be coming on Monday after I order it tomorrow.
    What?
    You WILL NOT get a better bike for £250.

Eh?
    I'm paying just over £400 for a bike like I said, but I'm selling my old bike on so it's only costing me £250 to change. If I'm not mistaken, the three bikes I have listed are all better spec than the bike I have now. And I realised I was have a stupid moment yesterday, of course I'll also need wheels as the current one are v brake wheels, not disc.

Can I clarify this as people (and perhaps myself) are getting confused.

You have £250 sitting in your bank.
    You will sell the hardrock for £200.
    This gives you £450 towards a new bike.
    You don't think spending £250 on new parts will get as good as value as buying a new bike for £450.
    Thus you don't actually have £450 to spend on new parts which people are recommending to spend on the bike.

Would you feel happy doing upgrades yourself? If not, then I doubt there's little point considering upgrades or factor in LBS costs on top. Other options are 2nd hand forks etc...

Best value for money? Well it be 2nd hand but your still left as to whether it's a dog or not. However £450 will get a nice HT, something like a '10 Fury or '10 Cboardman Comp. Both better than a hoodoo but it's the risk you take.

But then there's the risk of buying a bike new from Halfords :mrgreen:
  • I understsand totally what the others are saying and they do have a point! However, i also understand wanting something new!

Perhaps you should tell us what forks, brakes and drive train the specialized has? There is a chance it may have some decent bits on it.

If you do decide to buy "new" then i think the lowest point you should go in at is the £500 rockrider as this will most likely be an actual "upgrade", albeit possibly - a small one.

The other option would be to sell the specialized and add this to your spending money and then look towards getting a Voodoo Hoodoo or a Boardman or better still perhaps a Radon 7 from ze Germans when they have it on offer for £750. Or look on Paulscycles.com for an older model of something. (they have some good deals)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you can stretch to 500, the Rockrider 8.1 is worth considering.
  • Mdon
    Perhaps you should tell us what forks, brakes and drive train the specialized has? There is a chance it may have some decent bits on it.

It currently stands as a Hardrock HRXC with
    shumano ACERA front and rear derailures
    capa T5 RST forks
    alexrims DM20 wheels
    Tektro V-Brakes
  • supersonic
    AT least the Rockrider 8.1, maybe the 8.0, or the custom build, as anything else will only be marginally better.
  • Mdon
    supersonic wrote:
    AT least the Rockrider 8.1, maybe the 8.0, or the custom build, as anything else will only be marginally better.

I've had a read of it and it looks like a nice bike but it sure is ugly! And it says not for dirt, downhill or free ride? I'll be doing the trails at whinlatter in Cumbria.
  • supersonic
    It is not a dirt jump, DH or freeride bike - but is fine for trails and XC.
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    edited July 2012
    oops wrong thread
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited July 2012
    Mdon wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

I've had a read of it and it looks like a nice bike but it sure is ugly! And it says not for dirt, downhill or free ride? I'll be doing the trails at whinlatter in Cumbria.

That's trail riding, not freeride and most definitely not DH. I don't believe it says not for dirt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    That's trail riding, not freeride and most definitely not DH. I don't believe it says not for dirt.
    Er, what is? I'm confused.
    I dunno, I pop to Tesco, and when I come back my brain's all tired and useless.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    Mdon wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Er, what is? I'm confused.
    I dunno, I pop to Tesco, and when I come back my brain's all tired and useless.
    Better now?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Yes, I see now. Brain better good now. Mongo need sleep.