Will Froome win the Vuelta?

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Crozza wrote:
    I think Frenchies issue with Froome is that Contador has ridden consistently (lets not get into means) well for 10 years. In comparison Froome has become a climbing god in under a season. I accept that Froome has probably always been a decent climber, but he has suffered with tropical illness on and off for the last couple of years. The issue i have with Froome is that he 'looked' like he could be a good climber in the Tour, but as we never saw him put in a sustained attack we don't really know how long he can kick on for - and i wouldn't put him in the same class as Schleck or Contador, purely because so far Froome's competition has come in the form of second tier climbers like VDB, Cobo, Nibali...it will certainly be interesting to see how he goes in the Vuelta!

I agree with all that too. I think people got very excited about Froome based on very little evidence (and would hesitate to call him a "climbing god" just yet), but it would be good to see what he can do if fit, with support and riding for himself.

Bertie has been a class apart for a while it seems. shame his career has been so disrupted (and again not looking to start a debate as to why)

2nd in the Tour 2nd in the Vuelta's not bad.

The last two Tours he's been 2nd and each time he was shepherding someone else.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Crozza wrote:
    I think Frenchies issue with Froome is that Contador has ridden consistently (lets not get into means) well for 10 years. In comparison Froome has become a climbing god in under a season. I accept that Froome has probably always been a decent climber, but he has suffered with tropical illness on and off for the last couple of years. The issue i have with Froome is that he 'looked' like he could be a good climber in the Tour, but as we never saw him put in a sustained attack we don't really know how long he can kick on for - and i wouldn't put him in the same class as Schleck or Contador, purely because so far Froome's competition has come in the form of second tier climbers like VDB, Cobo, Nibali...it will certainly be interesting to see how he goes in the Vuelta!

I agree with all that too. I think people got very excited about Froome based on very little evidence (and would hesitate to call him a "climbing god" just yet), but it would be good to see what he can do if fit, with support and riding for himself.

Bertie has been a class apart for a while it seems. shame his career has been so disrupted (and again not looking to start a debate as to why)

2nd in the Tour 2nd in the Vuelta's not bad.

The last two Tours he's been 2nd and each time he was shepherding someone else.

Yeah but thats performances in the last 12 months - so I can see why people say he's come from the shadows. And like i said, Cobo and Nibali are not really in a league anywhere close to Schleck or Contador when it comes to the steep stuff.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cobo is a pretty decent climber. He won on the Angliru.

Contador's PB was on a hill climb so I dont that as suspicious. He has none of the huge mental stress he suffered for years - Lance and Clen. He can target his training as specifically as he likes.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    Cobo is a pretty decent climber. He won on the Angliru.

Contador's PB was on a hill climb so I dont that as suspicious. He has none of the huge mental stress he suffered for years - Lance and Clen. He can target his training as specifically as he likes.

He wouldn't have if Contador or Schleck had been there. :wink:
  • LeicesterLad
    Just realised Samu will most likely be riding the Vuelta. Quality.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about Contador. He is putting in monster training rides, setting new records (eg/. PB on a climb)

To be honest I find that a bit worrying, I'd love Contador to be clean but unfortunately I'm not 100% convinced either way and setting PBs whilst banned for doping isn't a good sign.

Valv.piti mkII

I agree that can be suspicious - but on the flip side, if you are not racing but putting in plenty of training and having proper rest without nackering your legs out from race tiredness, then I can see why PB's would be easier to come by in training on occasion.

Especially if you've not packed the dodgy beef in.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017