Will Froome win the Vuelta?

chinstrapped
chinstrapped Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Given that Chris Froome has given so much effort in this years tdf what are his chances of realistically winning the Vuelta ? also who do you think should be given the job of being his domestiques ?

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    No. Not a chance. Simples. If he wins the Vuelta I would find him even more suspect...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No, he won't win.

Who's in the car will also be important.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'm sure he is completely shagged but wouldn't pass up the opportunity of leading a team. I would expect Thomas, Swift and Kennaugh to turn out having had the Tour off (even though they did the Giro).

At his best Froome against Bert the Vegan would be a good competition.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Tour of Guadaloupe winner to SECOND in the Vuelta to Second in the TDF ????? - :roll:

Contador will be out to show who's the real boss.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I think Contador will be to strong.

The tour route this year hasn't been the most taxing so I don't see why Froome can't be competitive
  • LeicesterLad
    I'm sure he is completely shagged but wouldn't pass up the opportunity of leading a team. I would expect Thomas, Swift and Kennaugh to turn out having had the Tour off (even though they did the Giro).

At his best Froome against Bert the Vegan would be a good competition.

I'm not so sure there would be much competition about this. Froome hasn't really been up against that stiff a competition. I mean, Dennis Menchov? Cobo? Nibali isn't exactly the best climber on the planet either...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

At his best Froome against Bert the Vegan would be as good a competition as you can get nowadays.

I'm not so sure there would be much competition about this. Froome hasn't really been up against that stiff a competition. I mean, Dennis Menchov? Cobo? Nibali isn't exactly the best climber on the planet either...

You're right so I fixed that for me.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • LeicesterLad

At his best Froome against Bert the Vegan would be as good a competition as you can get nowadays.

You're right so I fixed that for me.

Much more accurate. Especially with Andy Schleck calling it a day. Yes, I said ANDY Schleck.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Have there been any more cyclists testing positive for clenbuterol recently?
    Mañana
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Bertie is obviously favourite but no-one knows what his form will be like with him not having raced. A lot will depend on how well Froome recovers but I'm still to be convinced he is as strong as his missus would have everyone believe (presumably if he rides and isn't in contention she''ll be moaning about how riding for Wiggins has worn him out!). In terms of domestiques I would assume he'll have Uran, Henao and possibly Nordhaug who will all be useful in the mountains. I can't see Swift or Kennaugh being there as they will be lacking road miles so probably Stannard, Hayman, possibly Flecha, Sutton or Appollonio for the sprints and then maybe Zandio or Lofkvist.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Pross wrote:
    Bertie is obviously favourite but no-one knows what his form will be like with him not having raced. A lot will depend on how well Froome recovers but I'm still to be convinced he is as strong as his missus would have everyone believe (presumably if he rides and isn't in contention she''ll be moaning about how riding for Wiggins has worn him out!). In terms of domestiques I would assume he'll have Uran, Henao and possibly Nordhaug who will all be useful in the mountains. I can't see Swift or Kennaugh being there as they will be lacking road miles so probably Stannard, Hayman, possibly Flecha, Sutton or Appollonio for the sprints and then maybe Zandio or Lofkvist.

Agree with that.

I think it will depend on how the Olympics goes for some of the GB riders, and by that I mean mainly the team pursuiters. If they medal gold/silver then I think they'll be doing the Tour of Britain to milk the "feel good factor" a bit on home soil.

I would guess given the Colombians speak Spanish that this would be there preferred Grand Tour (although I may have this totally wrong!)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    How can contador be favourite?
    His previous veggie showing on the TDF was poor in comparison to his old form.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • symo wrote:

Because he's probably still an awesome rider without the drugs. But then he may also still be on drugs. Both ways he's probably the favourite. Whereas Froome has just ridden the TdF, will then do Olympic RR & TT, and then Vuelta? Bit too much
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    No. Not a chance. Simples. If he wins the Vuelta I would find him even more suspect...

Your in need of some Google research to allay your fears of Froome. Is well documented he had shown he had the numbers to be a GC contender. Also Steve Peters is a bloody good man to have in your team.

Anyway no he won't win but he'll fight all the way.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    symo wrote:
    His previous veggie showing on the TDF was poor in comparison to his old form.

Not in top shape and injuried makes things a little harder don't you think?
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    Pross wrote:

Swift is coming into form nicely on the road since deciding to drop out of the track squad, two wins and a 2nd in Poland last week and he had some reasonable finishes at Suisse as well. I expect him to go and share sprinting duties with Sutton, who will almost certainly go after a stage win last year.

I'd be surprised in Thomas or Kennaugh jump straight from the pursuit squad to the Vuelta, given they've both already done a GT this season after moving from the Track worlds into riding the Giro. they may well have a week long victory parade to ride in September anyway :wink:

I'm not sure if Henao will ride two GTs as a neo-pro, but I would expect Uran to go to support Froome. Hayman, Appollonio, Zandio, Lofkvist, Nordhaug you've mentioned already and haven't done a GT this year. I wonder if Rowe, Dowsett or Puccio might be given their GT debut as well?
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Cant see them sending Dowsett. His ability to get over a Hill at the moment is making Ed Clancy look like a mountain goat.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think he has a reasonable chance. He has had a very light schedule this year and I'm not sure the Olympics will take too much out of him. Wiggins did a week of tour, broke his collarbone and was still strong enough for 2nd in last year's Vuelta so I think Froome might be in good enough form. There will be some decent local opposition though - Cobo showed flashes of form at the Tour, Rodriguez I think will be riding and then there's Bertie. No idea what we'll see there - probably just the same old Bertie, not convinced he was "veggie" at last year's Tour (maybe relatively speaking) more likely injured and off form as has been said. So no evidence he'll ever (or ever has) foregone the dodgy meat.

Uran, Lofkvist, Nordhaug, possibly Henao amounts to decent support, add in maybe Swift, Sutton, Stannard, Flecha - should be a decent support team.
  • Pross
    I hadn't realised swift had dropped out of the track squad but should have noticed as I saw his wins in Poland. Henao surprises me, the way people were talking I had assumed before the Giro that he was only about 21 but he's 25 at the end of the year - seems quite old for a neo pro. Would like to see Rowe have a go but not sure he is ready yet.
  • Pross
    BigMat wrote:
    I think he has a reasonable chance. He has had a very light schedule this year and I'm not sure the Olympics will take too much out of him. Wiggins did a week of tour, broke his collarbone and was still strong enough for 3rd in last year's Vuelta so I think Froome might be in good enough form. There will be some decent local opposition though - Cobo showed flashes of form at the Tour, Rodriguez I think will be riding and then there's Bertie. No idea what we'll see there - probably just the same old Bertie, not convinced he was "veggie" at last year's Tour (maybe relatively speaking) more likely injured and off form as has been said. So no evidence he'll ever (or ever has) foregone the dodgy meat.

Uran, Lofkvist, Nordhaug, possibly Henao amounts to decent support, add in maybe Swift, Sutton, Stannard, Flecha - should be a decent support team.

Fixed!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Pross wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    I think he has a reasonable chance. He has had a very light schedule this year and I'm not sure the Olympics will take too much out of him. Wiggins did a week of tour, broke his collarbone and was still strong enough for 3rd in last year's Vuelta so I think Froome might be in good enough form. There will be some decent local opposition though - Cobo showed flashes of form at the Tour, Rodriguez I think will be riding and then there's Bertie. No idea what we'll see there - probably just the same old Bertie, not convinced he was "veggie" at last year's Tour (maybe relatively speaking) more likely injured and off form as has been said. So no evidence he'll ever (or ever has) foregone the dodgy meat.

Fixed!

Oops - cheers!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    BigMat wrote:
    He has had a very light schedule this year and I'm not sure the Olympics will take too much out of him. Wiggins did a week of tour, broke his collarbone and was still strong enough for 2nd in last year's Vuelta so I think Froome might be in good enough form. There will be some decent local opposition though - Cobo showed flashes of form at the Tour, Rodriguez I think will be riding and then there's Bertie. No idea what we'll see there - probably just the same old Bertie, not convinced he was "veggie" at last year's Tour (maybe relatively speaking) more likely injured and off form as has been said. So no evidence he'll ever (or ever has) foregone the dodgy meat.

Good points. He sure has had a light schedule - winning form at last Vuelta...nothing...winning form at Tour...odd.

Good back up team and I'd like to see Uran/Heano combo once again in action.

I wouldn't worry about Contador. He is putting in monster training rides, setting new records (eg/. PB on a climb), altitude training, reccceing the stages and super motivated.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Yes, I think he'll win
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Yes, I think he'll win

I think he most likely will too (meaning Contadork).

I also would bet anyone a quid that he will be properly investigated for doping in the next two or three years, probably on already accumulated evidence being revisited. The guy makes me laugh. But he is extremely talented too, no doubt about that.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I wouldn't worry about Contador. He is putting in monster training rides, setting new records (eg/. PB on a climb)

To be honest I find that a bit worrying, I'd love Contador to be clean but unfortunately I'm not 100% convinced either way and setting PBs whilst banned for doping isn't a good sign.

Valv.piti mkII
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    On the subject of Froome, I think he'll make the podium, not sure hell win it there will be plenty of well prepared spanish after a new contract, like last time they went up bola del mundo
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • LeicesterLad
    prawny wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about Contador. He is putting in monster training rides, setting new records (eg/. PB on a climb)

To be honest I find that a bit worrying, I'd love Contador to be clean but unfortunately I'm not 100% convinced either way and setting PBs whilst banned for doping isn't a good sign.

Valv.piti mkII

I agree that can be suspicious - but on the flip side, if you are not racing but putting in plenty of training and having proper rest without nackering your legs out from race tiredness, then I can see why PB's would be easier to come by in training on occasion.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    prawny wrote:

Valv.piti mkII

I agree that can be suspicious - but on the flip side, if you are not racing but putting in plenty of training and having proper rest without nackering your legs out from race tiredness, then I can see why PB's would be easier to come by in training on occasion.

I agree

I find it funny that FF is suspicious of Froome being on form at Tour and Vuelta, with not much in between (because of his light schedule), but finds it perfectly normal for Contador to be setting PBs on a light schedule.
  • LeicesterLad
    Crozza wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Valv.piti mkII

I agree

I find it funny that FF is suspicious of Froome being on form at Tour and Vuelta, with not much in between (because of his light schedule), but finds it perfectly normal for Contador to be setting PBs on a light schedule.

I think Frenchies issue with Froome is that Contador has ridden consistently (lets not get into means) well for 10 years. In comparison Froome has become a climbing god in under a season. I accept that Froome has probably always been a decent climber, but he has suffered with tropical illness on and off for the last couple of years. The issue i have with Froome is that he 'looked' like he could be a good climber in the Tour, but as we never saw him put in a sustained attack we don't really know how long he can kick on for - and i wouldn't put him in the same class as Schleck or Contador, purely because so far Froome's competition has come in the form of second tier climbers like VDB, Cobo, Nibali...it will certainly be interesting to see how he goes in the Vuelta!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I think Frenchies issue with Froome is that Contador has ridden consistently (lets not get into means) well for 10 years. In comparison Froome has become a climbing god in under a season. I accept that Froome has probably always been a decent climber, but he has suffered with tropical illness on and off for the last couple of years. The issue i have with Froome is that he 'looked' like he could be a good climber in the Tour, but as we never saw him put in a sustained attack we don't really know how long he can kick on for - and i wouldn't put him in the same class as Schleck or Contador, purely because so far Froome's competition has come in the form of second tier climbers like VDB, Cobo, Nibali...it will certainly be interesting to see how he goes in the Vuelta!

I agree with all that too. I think people got very excited about Froome based on very little evidence (and would hesitate to call him a "climbing god" just yet), but it would be good to see what he can do if fit, with support and riding for himself.

Bertie has been a class apart for a while it seems. shame his career has been so disrupted (and again not looking to start a debate as to why)