Bib shorts- HOW many to chose from?!!!

♠ChumBucket♠
♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm looking at getting some bib shorts but I'm faced with literally hundreds to chose from :? From £30 to £200!

I know zero about bib shorts as I've only been cycling since April. It might sound daft but is there anything I should be looking for or to avoid etc? I'm riding a hybrid on road (well, it's actually a mountain bike with a few mods to make it more road friendly). Ideally, I think I'd spend up to £50 on a pair, maybe a tad more if I got exited! :D

Any info, tips would be gratefully appreciated.
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

Comments

• I bought a couple of pairs of cheaper Btwin ones. £30 from Decathlon.
    I figured that these will always be okay for 15/20 miles midweek rides.
    I am looking at a more expensive pair after getting some discomfort over 50 miles.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    DHB Aeron Pro
    Endura FS 260 Pro

They're my choices.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Lusso if you is on a budget Cum Bucket
  • DHB Aeron Pro
    Endura FS 260 Pro

They're my choices.

Don't mean to highjack thread as I reckon this is adding depth to your post and answers OP - I was reading Wiggle reviews of Aeron Pros and some people complained there are labels on the back which rub badly - anyone know if;

a) is this true (suspicous cause there are so many fab reviews and just a few where this is an issue) and
    b) is it a case of princess and the pea syndrome or a real issue for real people?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    DHB Aeron Pro
    Endura FS 260 Pro

They're my choices.

Don't mean to highjack thread as I reckon this is adding depth to your post and answers OP - I was reading Wiggle reviews of Aeron Pros and some people complained there are labels on the back which rub badly - anyone know if;

a) is this true (suspicous cause there are so many fab reviews and just a few where this is an issue) and
    b) is it a case of princess and the pea syndrome or a real issue for real people?

I suppose that could be true -> I've noticed the labels and considered cutting them off.. but they've been fine on my 2-3hr rides. Not a massive problem for me.

It probably helps if you wear a base layer and make sure its pulled all the way down into the shorts.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Buy the best you can afford - check the websites regularly of all the online chains or on commuting chat is a thread for bargains spotted (i hasten to add this can lead to many a purchase of spares)
    Anything over an hour I find that the better shorts vastly improve comfort and sustainability of ride !!!!
    I have recently been converted to assos shorts which wiggle were doing for just over £100 which sounds alot but IMHO well worth it.
    Castelli also do a good short with the KISS pads.
    We all have a different opinion on the 'best' shorts but as they say - buy cheap buy twice !!
    Good luck with the pending purchase !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Thanks for all the input guys, I'll have a good look round now. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I went for the DHB aeron race £47. I've still some timber to lose also so I've ordered a tub of grease & some tyre leavers just incase!! :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    Assos all the way.
  • Checkout www.probikekit.com they do some of their own brand which are good value for money and look quite smart. :D
    Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    + 1 for the Endura FS 260 Pro. I have a couple of these and in that price range I really think they are some of the best you can get. We also have Endura clothing in our club and can get these as part of the club range. Have never had any problems with them, the pad is very good indeed and they have lasted me a long time. They also came out as one of the best pair in a recent Cycling Plus test.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Castelli free aero Bibs are the way forward.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Castelli free aero Bibs are the way forward.

+1

I tried to get some cheaper ones as this works with all sorts of other clothing, but not with bibs. Sure the DHB ones are good, the Decathlon ones are equally as good for even less money - but the castelli free aeros just blow them all away.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Kim10 wrote:
    + 1 for the Endura FS 260 Pro. I have a couple of these and in that price range I really think they are some of the best you can get. We also have Endura clothing in our club and can get these as part of the club range. Have never had any problems with them, the pad is very good indeed and they have lasted me a long time. They also came out as one of the best pair in a recent Cycling Plus test.

+2 for them, best shorts I've owned. The Giordana stuff we have for club kit is pretty good as well but the pad feels like it has thinned out recently (could just be that I have got used to the Endura). I have done 7 hour rides the past 2 weeks in the Endura shorts with no problems at all.

However, if on a budget the main thing to look for is a good quality pad and to ensure the bib is long enough - nothing worse than your shorts trying to cut you in two and if carrying some additional weight it has the effect of shortening the amount of bib available. Whatever you do make sure the pad is one piece with no stitching or seams, it shouldn't be an issue anymore with modern pads but it was common place in old chamois / artificicial chamois shorts!
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Well... I can't fault Santini.. Fell really nice, comfy, fit well and not ridiculously expensive.. But Great quality.
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    BlakeysFC wrote:
    Assos all the way.

If the original poster wants to get completely ripped off then go for those.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Cycling + did a pretty comprehensive review of bibshorts a couple of months ago... The key thing to think about is the quality and comfort of the pad. It's less important if you're only doing short rides up to 40 or 50 miles but if you intend to do longer rides than that, pad comfort becomes very important...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Cycling + did a pretty comprehensive review of bibshorts a couple of months ago... The key thing to think about is the quality and comfort of the pad. It's less important if you're only doing short rides up to 40 or 50 miles but if you intend to do longer rides than that, pad comfort becomes very important...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks again for all the input.

I'll see how I get on with these (if they fit) I studied the size chart & ordered the nearest which was medium.

I'm 5'7", 13 stone, good chest & strong thighs (think fit Danny Devito). 8)

Anyhow, the info, views & advise I can get from you lot here is invaluable as I don't have any friends that cycle & the nearest descent bike shop is an hour away!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    Couldn't quite bring myself to spend £120 on the Assos bib-shorts I had my eye on earlier so went with some cheap Louis Garneau bib-shorts for £40.

Hoping I don't regret the decision to go cheap!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Raffles wrote:
    BlakeysFC wrote:
    Assos all the way.

If the original poster wants to get completely ripped off then go for those.

Obviously never worn them :roll:
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    If I had the money then it would be assos, if you have never tried them find your local bike shop and try some on.

You will no doubt be planning on buying them after this visit.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Just make sure they fit too, I have one pair of expensive craft ones and if I dont get the pad in the right place I do feel sore, luckily I have figured out how to put them on now and get it in the right place and I can't feel the pad.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    +1 for the DHB Aeron pros.

The labels have never bothered me and if they did I would just cut them out.

I had a pair of Assos F1 Unos for a while and while the fabric was clearly superior to the Aeron Pros I honestly didn't think the nut support they offered was as good.

I managed to get mine for around £55 by using Wiggle voucher codes and Topcashback so a real bargain.

I'd also advise against cheap bibs, even if you do think, 'Well, they're only for the commute'. Unbreathable fabric that is so thin it allows your pubes to be shared with your co-workers is not pleasant for anyone. Neither is squishing of the family jewels. Go mid-price and then if you really want to upgrade one day you can.
  • Well they've come & they fit ok, nice pad in them too (not removable)

The question is- do you also wear pants/briefs under them? :?:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I've still some timber to lose...

If you want to loose wood just think of Thatcher on the loo. Works for me.

YMMV

The CTC August/Sept magazine has an article on bib shorts. I guess they'd be a bit pissed off if I scanned it and posted jpegs....
  • I've still some timber to lose...

If you want to loose wood just think of Thatcher on the loo. Works for me.

YMMV

The CTC August/Sept magazine has an article on bib shorts. I guess they'd be a bit pissed off if I scanned it and posted jpegs....

Yeah, someone mentioned the magazine article. To be honest I just wanted any BIG do's or don'ts.

Anyhow, do you wear pants under them?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Definetly no pants.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The question is- do you also wear pants/briefs under them? :?:

The answer is - absolutely not!
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    i got a pair of scott legging type and scott bib shorts as well as some jerseys and jackets today

they were in the sale and about £20 for leggings and £30 for the bib shorts.

not used to lycra so felt like a right tool but never mind!

i usually wear padded baggy shorts on my MTB which aren't as obscene!