Who would you bring in for 2013 for Team Sky

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited July 2012 in Pro race
As the title say's

JTL and Roche for me, Both for the hilly classic's.

Would like to see what Sky could do with Roche but not for GC
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Some UK neo-pros would be nice, keep on developing future talent.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Canc OR Boonen ;) to teach Gerraint Thomas how to be a classics rider - Probably Canc would be a better fit for the rest of the year that isn't in Flanders/N France. Sagan might provide them with a bit of flair but would get right up Cav's nose so that's a no-go.

What I'd really prefer is that they start either a womans road team or an XC team with a similar set-up to the men's road squad...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    They have already got the best who can they possibly add who is better. Ah wait JTL FTW.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tommy Voeckler. I want to see them gaffer tape a power meter onto his tongue.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    The classics team is looking to be significantly bolstered along with more to be expected of Stannard.
    Flecha leaving this year I beleive?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'd like to see a few people leave rather than join.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Marco Pantani
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Francis.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

Like who?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Canc would be the obvious one with it looking likely his team will be disappearing. I would like to see them putting together a real classics team. Roche would be pointless, I can't see what he would add. I suspect they'll be doing more splitting of the squad into very definite teams.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    OUT -> Brailsford, Yates
    IN -> Sky WAGs
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    OUT -> Brailsford, Yates
    IN -> Sky WAGs
    The Sky Wags need to be replacing Phil & Paul on ITV
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    OUT -> Brailsford, Yates
    IN -> Sky WAGs
    The Sky Wags need to be replacing Phil & Paul on ITV

:D
  • rick_chasey
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Like who?

I'd like to see Thomas at a team that take the classics seriously.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Jonathan Tiernan-Locke?
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    To be fair to Sky. They have given them a good go. But if you don't have Boonen or Canc its always going to be tricky to really make an impact.

They are slowly bringing Stannard to the front of the cobbles slowly and surely. Thomas will be back as well. They will be in the mix.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Cancellera & Voight.

Oh, and bribe George Hincapie out of retirement for a year! :wink:

I'd like Froome to leave. I'm not sure I like him.
  • Germain Burton
  • Adam Blyth.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Like who?

I'd like to see Thomas at a team that take the classics seriously.

I think that's a little harsh. Sky have quite a reasonable squad for the classics, they just lack a real winner.

Hopefully next year Thomas will get a proper crack at it once he gives up riding in circles. At least at Sky he has a chance of being the leader, if he went to QS or BMC then he'd continue to be a second or third choice classics leader.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    What? More 'dead wood' to go and win elsewhere? :roll:
    I doubt Blyth would join - I read an article in one of the monthlies recently where he said he didn't fit at the BC programme and was asked to leave.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Adam Blyth.

Why? Just because he's a Brit? Far better to leave him somewhere else rather than put him on a team that already has the best sprinter in the world plus Swift, Apollonio and EBH.

I'd leave the team much as it is and just replace anyone who decides to move / retire. What they probably need are a few riders who are happy to be solid domestiques like Knees and Eisel rather than any more 'names'. I'm also hoping they will give the likes of Rowe a few more outings next season.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If he hadn't passed away I would have said Gary Coleman from Different Strokes

bwp_GaryColeman5.jpg
  • I'd like Froome to leave. I'm not sure I like him.

I'm not sure I like him, or his flag-of-convenience UK passport, much but I can't see him going anywhere unless a team with a huge pot of cash comes along to buy out his Sky contract.

Andy
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I'd like to see JTL, Ian Bibby and Scott Thwaites all given a crack. Canc would be a good signing, but I reckon that he'll end up at BMC.

As someone else has said though, a womens team would be nice, as would a Rabo style development team (I know that they are linked with the academy etc) pro conti level would be nice. Or they could help Endura out in some way to becoming Pro Conti and making them a feeder team?

JTL is probably the only thing that I've posted that is likely to happen though!
  • RichN95.
    Tom BB wrote:
    I'd like to see JTL, Ian Bibby and Scott Thwaites all given a crack.
    For the second two, I think Endura moving up to Pro Conti level may be more beneficial to them (and I hope they do)
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    edited July 2012
    Tejay VG.

I guess someone will need to be brought in to replace Rogers at some point although he may be able to do it ala Voigt into his old age.

Would anyone also like Dan Martin at Sky - british, climber, reasonable TTer. - edit Irish (Brum born)
  • Would anyone also like Dan Martin at Sky - british, climber, reasonable TTer.

Isn't he (technically) Irish, despite being from Birmingham?

Andy
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    The problem with Martin is, that although he is a climber, he's just not quite good enough at it in a GT for him to be of real use.....many days he was dropped before Porte had peeled off!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Rohan Dennis seems a definite.

Depending on what Endura do next year (and if BrianS isn't reading), I'd love to see one or more of Thwaites, Rowsell, JTL going there. I'm not sure any of the other young Brits are ready yet.

Hard to see what they're missing really. Uran, Henao, Nordhaug and EBH should all contend in the hilly classics, Thomas, Stannard, Flecha if he stays, and EBH should be good in the cobbles, and they've good young stage racers and sprinters aplenty.