Given a free choice, which team would you join?

gsvbagpuss
gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
edited July 2012 in Pro race
(Someone asked me this at work and I had no answer - and am still struggling to come up something)

Given a free choice of any professional cycling team to join, which one would you sign for?

I'm torn between Team Sky for patriotic reasons of getting to train / ride with Cav and Stannard, and Radioshack purely for getting to be near Jens Voigt!!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Quick Step, obv.

Though Garmin seems a good laugh. Burrito parties for all.

Not sure I'd be 'zany' enough mind.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Garmin.

All seem to get on and generally have a laugh and doss about.

Plus you get Vaughters and Millar into the deal.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    As somebody built more for the cobbled classics it would have to be OPQS. I could see myself towing along the bunch at Paris-Roubaix, putting the hurt on the classics pretenders.

If I was a stage racer it would have to be Sky, they may be the evil empire in some peoples eyes but they are a stable team, they pay well and they look after their riders needs pretty well it seems.

Garmin would be fun, but the probably don't have a big enough cheque book to sign a guy of my status.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    I reckon I would perform better if I was hated and could channel that hatred, so would have to be Europcar!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Sky or Garmin.

Garmin looks more fun though
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm lazy and really don't like making any more effort than the bare minimum, basically just turning up more often than not, so I'd join Cofidis or Euskaltel
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Jez mon wrote:
    Sky or Garmin.

+1, basically...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm lazy and really don't like making any more effort than the bare minimum, basically just turning up more often than not, so I'd join Cofidis or Euskaltel

Surely join OPQS, do a few turns in the first 50km of a classic and call it a day when Boonen decides he wants to win from 70km out.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:

If that's your attitude then you may as well join a team that will pay you better for achieving naff all.

Rabobank.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

If that's your attitude then you may as well join a team that will pay you better for achieving naff all.

Rabobank.

Full marks to inkyfingers.

I like mussels so maybe I should go to Vaconsoleil.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Garmin obviously.

I'm an FDJ and AG2R fan but I've always thought Vacansoleil look like they have fun.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:

Surely join OPQS, do a few turns in the first 50km of a classic and call it a day when Boonen decides he wants to win from 70km out.
    I must admit the nine month long off-season is tempting
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Lampre, I think I'd get team leader status there (plus I look good in pink).
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I like living on the edge and have a penchant for new and exciting chemical stimuli... Androni for me!

I'll get the salary up front, however.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Garmin for me, nice kit, nice bikes and less expectation than the bigger squads everyone seems to be having a pretty good time.

In the real world though, I would not want to be a pro cyclist at all, not even a little bit. Probably the only one of my hobbies that I would not want to do at the top level. Ooh and motorcycle racing, wouldn't want to do that either.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • For the jersey it has to be Europcar, dark green is just pure boss.

Otherwise Liquigas or Sky.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Calder
    Calder Posts: 51
    GSVBagpuss wrote:

Given a free choice of any professional cycling team to join, which one would you sign for?

Another vote for Garmin, although if I could fake being Basque I'd go for Euskaltel cos it's a great shade of orange and I'm a real sucker for those pintxos they have down that way. Plus it looks a great region to go cycling in the close season.
  • It would have to be Vacansoleil just so I could have that Bianchi
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Foucault
    Foucault Posts: 104
    Yet another vote for Garmin as they seem a lot of fun and I'd get to ride On a nice Cervelo R5ca. However it would be good to be with Sky just to see what really is going on between Wiggins and Froome.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    FDJ for me. Like the kit. Would like to be based in France. Would like to learn more French. Wouldn't want to take Drucks. Would like to go out and get in some breaks. Wouldn't ever win anything.
  • Lampré. In fact I think there's a picture of me in team kit floating around the internet.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Garmin.

However I wouldn't mind a transfer to Saxo Bank so that I could spend some time being fed by Hannah.

http://dailystews.wordpress.com/2012/06 ... ank-tdf12/
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Jez mon wrote:
    Sky or Garmin.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BMC, they need a new team leader...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Vaconsoleil, then I'd know where Johnny was at all times.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Never going to happen but Garmin as they look like they have fun but take racing seriously but then again maybe Androni Giocattoli so I could be up close to Gianni!!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    BigMat wrote:
    BMC, they need a new team leader...

They already have one. It's just that he's a bit confused.

Liquigas for me.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    RSNT - I'd need all the drugs I could get my hands on to have any chance of making it to the end of the neutralised zone.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Europcar.

So I could smack Tommy in his stupid gurning mouth
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    iainf72 wrote:
    Europcar.

So I could smack Tommy in his stupid gurning mouth

Just hang around France with a camera, he'll come to you.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017