Why is this year's Tour less than exciting?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    I'd really liked to see how Sky would have managed attacks from climbers who are more than decent. They weren't THAT comfortable with Nibali on some of the stages. Andy and Berto are perhaps twice the climbers. They would have made this race attractive, I'm sure. Well done by Wiggins and Sky but I can't help thinking they won the Europa League instead of Champions League.
    Prior to his injury, most people had written Schleck off - even for the podium in many cases - due to the TTs and let's not pretend that Contador isn't missing for good reason.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ThomThom wrote:
    Thought the first 8 stages were above average. The mountainous stages, however, have been rather awful. Watching Boasson Hagen and Michael Rogers conquering Col de la Madeleine and Croix Fer with such speed that road verge actually outgrew the peloton towards the tops and picked the KOM-points was just a disgrace.

I'd really liked to see how Sky would have managed attacks from climbers who are more than decent. They weren't THAT comfortable with Nibali on some of the stages. Andy and Berto are perhaps twice the climbers. They would have made this race attractive, I'm sure. Well done by Wiggins and Sky but I can't help thinking they won the Europa League instead of Champions League.

At least The Tour have been miles better than The Giro. If that means anything :)

I definitely preferred this years Giro.

Really? Every time I think back to it a bit of sick comes up. Only postive about that race was De Gendt's fantastic ride. The rest was Leakygas doing a Hagen/Rogers tempo for 150 km with the result of Basso failing to complete the job.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    Prior to his injury, most people had written Schleck off - even for the podium in many cases - due to the TTs and let's not pretend that Contador isn't missing for good reason.

Hm, clinic or no clinic, Berto, in particularly, would have saved this Tour from being a snoozefest. The competition has pretty much been non-existing. For the first time in the entire Tour, Wiggins' pulse hit above 75... And then he was troubled.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Thought the first 8 stages were above average. The mountainous stages, however, have been rather awful. Watching Boasson Hagen and Michael Rogers conquering Col de la Madeleine and Croix Fer with such speed that road verge actually outgrew the peloton towards the tops and picked the KOM-points was just a disgrace.

At least The Tour have been miles better than The Giro. If that means anything :)

I definitely preferred this years Giro.

Really? Every time I think back to it a bit of sick comes up. Only postive about that race was De Gendt's fantastic ride. The rest was Leakygas doing a Hagen/Rogers tempo for 150 km with the result of Basso failing to complete the job.

Erm...Pozzo attacking? Hesjedal sticking it to everybody? The fact it was close to the end?
  • RichN95.
    ThomThom wrote:
    Hm, clinic or no clinic, Berto, in particularly, would have saved this Tour from being a snoozefest. The competition has pretty much been non-existing.
    Or he might have made it a tedious exhibition race with and unpleasant undercurrent like the 2011 Giro.

Sometimes this sport is boring. Very boring. To pretend otherwise is delusional. Most GTs are 85+% tedium. I'm happy to see that go up to 90% not to see the result decided in a courtroom a year and half from now.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I'm 61 years young and have listened to no end of people talking about the relative pour standard of our home grown road racers compared with abroad for decades. Now we have the beaten the world on the track and are doing it on the road and all some people find time to do is moan about how boring it is. :roll:
  • RichN95.
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    I'm 61 years young and have listened to no end of people talking about the relative pour standard of our home grown road racers compared with abroad for decades. Now we have the beaten the world on the track and are doing it on the road and all some people find time to do is moan about how boring it is. :roll:

This is the way I see it (as a hockey player, not a cyclist):

I would love GB Hockey to win the Olympics as more people might join my club
    Cyclists hate GB Cycling doing well as more people might join their club.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Now THAT was well put
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

It's not quite that simple.

I look on at cycling in Belgium with envy, but here, i've had find my own way to learn about cycling since it's pretty niche. I'm on a forum because I can't discuss it with my friends like I can football since no-one else watches.

Suddenly because there's British success, rather than liking the sport, everyone's an expert. They guys in my office, who so often ridiculed my love for cycling, no are suddenly into it. They hear some thing they saw on the bbc website or on radio 5 live and start challenging me, as if now they have the tools to take me down a peg or two because some journo who normally covers football's been lumped with the Tour coverage.

They don't like cycling. Maybe a few will get into cycling because they've been drawn in and that's good. But to me ,I feel they don't get it because they're only interested in the Brit success, like glory hunters. And yet, they see themselves as side by side with me, because they've watched a race and listened to a few experts.

It's like the football fan who supports his local 3rd division team who gets fed up with walking into a pub in Clapham and it's full of Man Utd fans. They're not real football fans, they just like it because everyone else does.

And they'd be right.

UK fans will never be like this: http://youtu.be/wKwMplMI0kg

and to a certain extent, you're right, I don't like the idea that some guy who's got a bit of cash in his pocket has turned up to his local bike shop since he's seen Wiggins on the news and buys a £6k bike, and turns up to the club I ride for - only for 4 months later he's caning me on the climbs.

I don't like that he doesn't get what it all means to me, and obviously that he's faster than me despite the fact I've been riding road since I was 15. He just toys with the sport I have passion for like a casual hobby. I'm not used to that, and I guess as a result I don't like it.

It might not be big, or right but when you're passionate about a sport it's hardly rational anyway.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Why does everyone seem to think saying the Tour was boring is somehow a slight against Britain?

The boringness has nothing to do with Wiggns looking likely to win.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

You've forgotten the people who aren't a member of a club, have no intention of joining a club, and just want to see a good race on TV. Which is probably the vast majority of people interested in the Tour.
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    You've forgotten the people who aren't a member of a club, have no intention of joining a club, and just want to see a good race on TV. Which is probably the vast majority of people interested in the Tour.
    But I think the similar sort of attitude pervades with many - that this it there little niche and nobody else should be allowed in - and I just don't get that. There are new fans and most won't stick with it - but some will - and those are ultimately the ones that will help the sport grow - whether through clubs or races or more TV and media coverage.

None of us came out of the womb regaling the midwife with stories of Nencini and Anglade's bet* or Lazaridis's toe*. We were all new once.

This doesn't really have too much to do with the Tour lacking excitement (which it does), but not every game's a 4-3 thriller - 'your team' winning a scrappy 1-0 Cup final is good though.

*Off to Google noobs.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I look on at cycling in Belgium with envy, but here, i've had find my own way to learn about cycling since it's pretty niche. I'm on a forum because I can't discuss it with my friends like I can football since no-one else watches.

Suddenly because there's British success, rather than liking the sport, everyone's an expert. They guys in my office, who so often ridiculed my love for cycling, no are suddenly into it. They hear some thing they saw on the bbc website or on radio 5 live and start challenging me, as if now they have the tools to take me down a peg or two because some journo who normally covers football's been lumped with the Tour coverage.

They don't like cycling. Maybe a few will get into cycling because they've been drawn in and that's good. But to me ,I feel they don't get it because they're only interested in the Brit success, like glory hunters. And yet, they see themselves as side by side with me, because they've watched a race and listened to a few experts.

It's like the football fan who supports his local 3rd division team who gets fed up with walking into a pub in Clapham and it's full of Man Utd fans. They're not real football fans, they just like it because everyone else does.

And they'd be right.

and to a certain extent, you're right, I don't like the idea that some guy who's got a bit of cash in his pocket has turned up to his local bike shop since he's seen Wiggins on the news and buys a £6k bike, and turns up to the club I ride for - only for 4 months later he's caning me on the climbs.

I don't like that he doesn't get what it all means to me, and obviously that he's faster than me despite the fact I've been riding road since I was 15. He just toys with the sport I have passion for like a casual hobby. I'm not used to that, and I guess as a result I don't like it.

It might not be big, or right but when you're passionate about a sport it's hardly rational anyway.

If you don't wanna be caned by the n00b, train harder! :P

I do get what you're saying though. I like having cycling as "my" thing. OTOH, it would be nice to have more of my peers appreciating cycling. My club was perfectly welcoming, but it would have been nice to have someone else under the age of 21, (or indeed 30!).
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    dennisn wrote:
    Why watch? Serious question. :?

Is anyone going to answer this question? I just don't get it, if it's that dull a race, why are you still watching? I tell you what, why don't you give the next 3 stages a miss. I doubt you'll miss anything. I tell you what, record them and I'll let you know if it's worth watching.
  • greasedscotsman
    I'm on a forum because I can't discuss it with my friends like I can football since no-one else watches.

You have the wrong friends! :D
  • afx237vi
    dennisn wrote:
    Why watch? Serious question. :?

Is anyone going to answer this question? I just don't get it, if it's that dull a race, why are you still watching? I tell you what, why don't you give the next 3 stages a miss. I doubt you'll miss anything. I tell you what, record them and I'll let you know if it's worth watching.

1. Habit
    2. Circumstance (home during day)
    3. Potential for incident (crash, bear attack)
    4. Scenery
  • afx237vi
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    But I think the similar sort of attitude pervades with many - that this it there little niche and nobody else should be allowed in - and I just don't get that. There are new fans and most won't stick with it - but some will - and those are ultimately the ones that will help the sport grow - whether through clubs or races or more TV and media coverage.

None of us came out of the womb regaling the midwife with stories of Nencini and Anglade's bet* or Lazaridis's toe*. We were all new once.

This doesn't really have too much to do with the Tour lacking excitement (which it does), but not every game's a 4-3 thriller - 'your team' winning a scrappy 1-0 Cup final is good though.

*Off to Google noobs.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. More interest means more coverage in the press and on TV, which is always good. I don't mind the noobs either - every forum needs a steady stream of new members.
  • greasedscotsman
    afx237vi wrote:
    1. Habit
    4. Scenery

Can I suggest you watch the golf over the weekend? OK, I don't think you'll get a bear attack, but the scenery is quite nice.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    1. Habit
    4. Scenery

Can I suggest you watch the golf over the weekend? OK, I don't think you'll get a bear attack, but the scenery is quite nice.

All the weird clothing puts me off.
  • greasedscotsman
    afx237vi wrote:
    All the weird clothing puts me off.

:D
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Which is th emost boring? the tour or same people constantly trolling on here saying how boring it is? I don't think it is boring personally but thats my opinion, others m,ay find it boring, who gives a fuck, you alwasy have the tv remote to change channels.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

And they'd be right.

Thanks Rick for articulating what I have been unable to.
  • greasedscotsman
    Someone at work has just asked me if I think Christopher Biggins will win the Tour... :D
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Someone at work has just asked me if I think Christopher Biggins will win the Tour... :D

Excellent.

I suppose there is a touch of panto about the Tour - so it's not that far off...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    iainf72 wrote:
    Why does everyone seem to think saying the Tour was boring is somehow a slight against Britain?

The boringness has nothing to do with Wiggns looking likely to win.

Try telling that to some on here, in their books Sky should be attacking each other just to give the fans a bit of entertainment.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

And they'd be right.

Thanks Rick for articulating what I have been unable to.

Hmm, Sorry, but I used to ride with a maximum of 7 people in N Wales, and that was if EVERYONE made it out - I can think of maybe 3 or 4 times over 3 years that happened. At Leiden Swift the AVAERAGE for a sunday morn club run was 70 people last year. I much much preferred riding with the club.

Tell your friend that they are wrong and then explain why, but don't pretend that having more people in cycling is worse for the sport! That is the exact equivalent of the indieboi scenester complainging about the Kings of Leon becoming famous. Cycling is nobody's thing, it is everybody's thing!

And sorry Rick but if a guy that rides for 4 months canes you anywhere then it's time to open a can of MTFU!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Hey, what can I say, I'm feeling down about FF smashing my PB on Box hill by about 30 seconds.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmm, Sorry, but I used to ride with a maximum of 7 people in N Wales, and that was if EVERYONE made it out - I can think of maybe 3 or 4 times over 3 years that happened. At Leiden Swift the AVAERAGE for a sunday morn club run was 70 people last year. I much much preferred riding with the club.

Tell your friend that they are wrong and then explain why, but don't pretend that having more people in cycling is worse for the sport! That is the exact equivalent of the indieboi scenester complaining about the Kings of Leon becoming famous. Cycling is nobody's thing, it is everybody's thing!

And sorry Rick but if a guy that rides for 4 months canes you anywhere then it's time to open a can of MTFU!

I was with you till the Kings of Leon thing!
  • RichN95.
    Hey, what can I say, I'm feeling down about FF smashing my PB on Box hill by about 30 seconds.
    I bet he's got better shoes too.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    I bet he's got better shoes too.

He does.

Mine are black.

For shame.