Why is this year's Tour less than exciting?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The thing with riders like Hollywood's today is that they're irrelevant in the GC. And the problem with this tour is there is nothing interesting happening in the GC. And I don't mean nonsense like trying to come 4th.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Stick the time trials on a mountain.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Luckao wrote:
    Stick the time trials on a mountain.

Good idea, like in Paris-Nice. Who won that one? Oh, yes.....
  • luckao
    I meant a proper TT, not 9.6k.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Do you really think that would do anything (other than letting the time gaps get bigger)? A steady mountain effort is perfect for him.
  • luckao
    I was hardly attempting to make a compelling argument, was I?

The subject of the thread isn't "How do you stop Wiggins?" It's about making the race more exciting, and merely including a different kind of stage would be marginally better than using the same format year after year, regardless of whether or not it suits Wiggins.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Why is this years Tour less than exciting?

AyHW3jZCUAAHywR.jpg

Wiggins & co climbed at 1680m/h today.

Shocked at how high Contadors figure is. Still not a doper Frenchie?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    In answer to the OP's question - too many riders with equally very average ability and largely dull tactics from most of the teams.

The two best riders are unfortunately in the same team.

On a plus point Sagan has been a breath of fresh air, and it clashed with the Tour of Poland.

I'll miss it when it's finished though.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,576
    Wasn't Wiggins only a minute behind Contador on that climb? That would give him a historically high VAM as well - in the region of 1780.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Wasn't Wiggins only a minute behind Contador on that climb? That would give him a historically high VAM as well - in the region of 1780.

It's only a 20 minute climb though. It's not really that fair to compare it to some of the other climbs on there, which are around twice as long.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    This year could catch on - I mean a 3 week sportive were everybody rides to keep their GC place - Great cure if you have had trouble sleeping. 8)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,576
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's only a 20 minute climb though. It's not really that fair to compare it to some of the other climbs on there, which are around twice as long.

Yes, that was my point. Failing to compare Contador's VAM with (i) other riders in the same race (ii) his VAM on much larger climbs is a significant oversight. If the conclusion of such an exercise was that super clean cuddles, who struggled in over a minute behind, put out a VAM similar to a highly juiced Panatani on a different climb, then maybe, just maybe, it is not a sensible comparison.*

Equally, there is a hill climb near me tonight where all the amateurs will have a VAM in excess of 2000. I could conclude from that that there are some mighty fine amateurs in north London or that they have exceeded the possible clean climbing times. Alternatively, I could tell you that the climb is only 1km long.

*This is not to say that Contador is without suspicion, after all, he did fail a drugs test.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    One team has learn't how to control the opposition and the opposition were more easily controlled by a stronger team. Brailsfords biggest problem was having two riders at the top of the GC, but unlike Hinault-Lemond the management have managed the issue as is there strength.
    The big problem is next years Tour and what to do with Cav, he won't be wanting to take a back seat again :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I wish they would ditch the time trials - Wiggo is 2 minutes ahead and is yet to drop the 2nd and 3rd on GC at any time on the road - in fact he's yet to attack them !

You wait years for a British winner and I've got to admit I'm half hoping he cracks today just to liven the bleeding racing up a bit.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    I think they all have to go away and think about how they race this.

its like sky were the only team that turned up with a plan..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Easy to make a plan work when your team are easily the strongest around.
  • mididoctors
    davelakers wrote:

AyHW3jZCUAAHywR.jpg

its Riis on the hautacam that is the eyeball mangling stat there.... his blood must have been treacle
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2012

Easy to make a plan work when your team are easily the strongest around.

I guess so but as far back as the ToRom the alarm bells went off... to give BMC some credit they actually pushed it in the first week on the flat which eliminated a lot of riders.

I think it was really relativily easy for them because of Froome...that froome wiggo combination is so strong rather than just the team per sae

Sky have practiced/perfected that plan in 3 stage races leading up to the tour. a highly optimised GC machine.. and I give them real credit for this because wiggins is class but still a limited rider and they have made it work.

this tour has been less than stellar on GC because the opposition has failed to materialise
  • mididoctors
    [pigs]I mean you never know LIQ may hit on the Port De Bales a mountain early?[/may fly]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    davelakers wrote:

AyHW3jZCUAAHywR.jpg

its Riis on the hautacam that is the eyeball mangling stat there.... his blood must have been treacle
    If you want some really eye watering numbers.
    1999 Dauphine, Mont Ventoux: VAM 1912, 6.8W/kg for a climb lasting nearly an hour.

(As tweeted by the person who did it)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    davelakers wrote:

AyHW3jZCUAAHywR.jpg

Even more eye-opening when you see how he raced it!
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    davelakers wrote:

AyHW3jZCUAAHywR.jpg

If you want some really eye watering numbers.
    1999 Dauphine, Mont Ventoux: VAM 1912, 6.8W/kg for a climb lasting nearly an hour.

(As tweeted by the person who did it)
    Didn't Mayo beat that time in 2004?
  • mididoctors

Even more eye-opening when you see how he raced it!

I saw it
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    davidof wrote:
    Less drugs. You can't get the madness of a Pantani, Virenque or Landis anymore.

Still the Indurain, Armstrong and Hinault reigns were pretty boring too.

Why watch? Serious question. :?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    davelakers wrote:

AyHW3jZCUAAHywR.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great chart / graph. On a level with "bikingbernies"
    now infamous blood values one. :wink:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Thought the first 8 stages were above average. The mountainous stages, however, have been rather awful. Watching Boasson Hagen and Michael Rogers conquering Col de la Madeleine and Croix Fer with such speed that road verge actually outgrew the peloton towards the tops and picked the KOM-points was just a disgrace.

I'd really liked to see how Sky would have managed attacks from climbers who are more than decent. They weren't THAT comfortable with Nibali on some of the stages. Andy and Berto are perhaps twice the climbers. They would have made this race attractive, I'm sure. Well done by Wiggins and Sky but I can't help thinking they won the Europa League instead of Champions League.

At least The Tour have been miles better than The Giro. If that means anything :)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    No, they won the Tour. It's not their fault if the opposition didn't turn up, or were lacking.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ThomThom wrote:
    Thought the first 8 stages were above average. The mountainous stages, however, have been rather awful. Watching Boasson Hagen and Michael Rogers conquering Col de la Madeleine and Croix Fer with such speed that road verge actually outgrew the peloton towards the tops and picked the KOM-points was just a disgrace.

I'd really liked to see how Sky would have managed attacks from climbers who are more than decent. They weren't THAT comfortable with Nibali on some of the stages. Andy and Berto are perhaps twice the climbers. They would have made this race attractive, I'm sure. Well done by Wiggins and Sky but I can't help thinking they won the Europa League instead of Champions League.

At least The Tour have been miles better than The Giro. If that means anything :)

I definitely preferred this years Giro.