The Cycle Show ITV4

2»

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    From the off it irked, esp when they ran the million clips at high speed to show the range they apparently want to cover.

Tried to cram far too much in, all aimed at viewers with the attention span of the African Swallow apparently and nothing that anybody wouldn't know -viz how to ride up a hill.

Pants, as a first effort. I'll give it next week and see if there's an improvement.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    CiB wrote:
    From the off it irked, esp when they ran the million clips at high speed to show the range they apparently want to cover.

Tried to cram far too much in, all aimed at viewers with the attention span of the African Swallow apparently and nothing that anybody wouldn't know -viz how to ride up a hill.

Pants, as a first effort. I'll give it next week and see if there's an improvement.

I'm sure the Rapha-tista consider it Panorama for cyclists :lol:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    Have to say that was shit. It needed to be longer so in turn it could be more informative. When it gets to the disciplines that people don't know much about there's just not enough time to do them justice. I thought Graeme Obrey was cringeworthy, yeah I know he's got mental health issues and he's done well to beat his demons but he's a wreck.

Oh well there's always next weeks edition.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I was totally confused, mislead to expect MTB legend Gary Fisher but instead we got artist legend Salvador Dali.

dali_1120634c.jpg
    Gary Fisher

M54_CITY_GaryFisherInterview_PhotoMyleenHollero.jpg
    Salvador Dali

Then to really blow my mind they had that Capt Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek wobbling about on a back to front recumbent.
    Picard2379.jpg
    Obree

1244467535525-1nk41v6qq8oeu-670-75.jpg
    Picard

And finally, who was that bloke pretending to be Nigel Mansell? He must have been an imposter because he didn't have that funny moustache.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    coriordan wrote:
    Jesus its like its pitched at braindead morons

Right, so it IS a cycling version of Top Gear afterall!
  • Jesus wept, that was bad.
    Even a bit of Ride for the Box Hill segment wasn't enough to redeem it.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Peat wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Jesus its like its pitched at braindead morons

Right, so it IS a cycling version of Top Gear afterall!
    It's not though. I can't imagine Clarkson introducing a piece on safety by coming into shot tangled up in a seatbelt (actually that's what they would do, but it would be funny). When they have a well-known face to talk about their subject, they generally make an interesting conversation out of it. To demonstrate whatever the motoring equivalent of hill climbing is, they wouldn't use shots of a handful of people making a bad job of it and most certainly wouldn't do the token-woman-has-ecaped bit and then 5 seconds later reel her in.

And most of all the background crowd wouldn't be and aren't encouraged to create an unholy babble of noise in the background in some w@nk attempt at generating a lively atmosphere.
  • CiB wrote:

It's not though. I can't imagine Clarkson introducing a piece on safety by coming into shot tangled up in a seatbelt (actually that's what they would do, but it would be funny). When they have a well-known face to talk about their subject, they generally make an interesting conversation out of it. To demonstrate whatever the motoring equivalent of hill climbing is, they wouldn't use shots of a handful of people making a bad job of it and most certainly wouldn't do the token-woman-has-ecaped bit and then 5 seconds later reel her in.

And most of all the background crowd wouldn't be and aren't encouraged to create an unholy babble of noise in the background in some w@nk attempt at generating a lively atmosphere.

reminds me of this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Z-FmgbFK0
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    and remember "STAY WELL CLEAR OF TRUCKS WHEN OUT ON YOUR GIRLS BIKE!"
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's basically a cycling version of The One Show. So it will appeal to a similarly empty headed audience but then maybe that's OK. 'We' don't really need a TV programme.

Mansell came across as slightly less annoying than he used to, the cycle maintenance thing was a bit crap (eg 'make sure your tyres are pumped up' without mentioning the wonderful invention that is the track pump) and the Box Hill thing was a bit pitiful and as blatently fake as Top Gear.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    The thing is, it wasn't really aimed at "us" on this here forum, centre of all powerful cycling knowledge.

It was aimed at a wider audience so sure the information is going to be basic. Pumping up tyres, don't ride down the inside of lorries bla bla bla.

They definitely tried to cram too much in. An urban cycle safety feature could have been saved for another week and covered a full 10 minutes instead of a few quick tips.

I thought the box hill feature was quite well done, they tried to explain how the race is likely to pan out to those less informed.

Obree was a bit all over the place, I think they needed more structure to his interview.

Room for improvement is what their school report would say. :D

Cycling all feels a bit mainstream at the moment, will it last?....
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Cycling all feels a bit mainstream at the moment, will it last?....

Yeah - I concur - I personally preferred it when it was all underground and less commercial.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    So no-one liked it then?
    If I'm being honest, I thought it'd be a lot worse.
    exercise.png
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    To quote myself from the Cake Stop thread of the same name (maybe we should just have one off-topic forum ;) )
    Wasn't great was it? Obree is a true cycling legend but he really isn't a great TV guest whilst Mansell was as devoid of personality as ever and Gary Fisher didn't seem to know what was going on! It seemed that Wiggins win and the amount of time they spent on then condensed all the rest of the show - the safe riding section was particularly squeezed when it could have been genuinely useful to new cyclists. Add to that yet another London 'cycling cafe' full of poncy folk thinking they are cool walking around in cycling jerseys and casquettes (I saw the Rapha cafe on news coverage the previous day which was the same but I expected it there). Is this a London thing that they think it's cool to turn up looking like that? I had previously assumed it was just a cycle commuter and American thing to do!!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Pross wrote:
    To quote myself from the Cake Stop thread of the same name (maybe we should just have one off-topic forum ;) )
    Wasn't great was it? Obree is a true cycling legend but he really isn't a great TV guest whilst Mansell was as devoid of personality as ever and Gary Fisher didn't seem to know what was going on! It seemed that Wiggins win and the amount of time they spent on then condensed all the rest of the show - the safe riding section was particularly squeezed when it could have been genuinely useful to new cyclists. Add to that yet another London 'cycling cafe' full of poncy folk thinking they are cool walking around in cycling jerseys and casquettes (I saw the Rapha cafe on news coverage the previous day which was the same but I expected it there). Is this a London thing that they think it's cool to turn up looking like that? I had previously assumed it was just a cycle commuter and American thing to do!!

the guests (especially obree) clearly couldnt hear what was being said to them because of the noise all those knobheads in the background were making. stupid setting.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I was glad to see a cycling programme on mainstream telly. yeah it wasn't great but there are lots of progs that aren't great.

Honestly, we are a bunch who like to moan..."cycling gets overlooked by the media"...err, "actually we don't like it when the media tries to cover cycling".