Car advice please...

13»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why a Titanium Focus? For 'something to pootle around in' almost anything will do. I'd always go for a trim level with fog lights and like having AC, likewise cruise control. But that's because of the motorway driving I do, around town it's not much use. The extra perks that come with the higher specced Ford models (Ghia, Titanium etc) like heated seats,auto dimming mirrors, auto lights heated front screen and auto wipers are all nice but by no means essential.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Fiat Bravo 1.9 diesel multijet Dynamic.

that engine has been used in loads of different (better made cars)
    Vauxhall astra/ vectra/ signum probably more

Alfa's

an a suzuki i think
    I don't think any of the cars you've listed should be (definitively) considered 'better made'.

Made differently, but better?

Bails, I like gagets.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I've already had an Alfa. I decided I wouldn't get another one when mine went up on the ramp in the workshop and the bottom (of the WHOLE CAR) nearly fell off.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    msmancunia wrote:
    I've already had an Alfa. I decided I wouldn't get another one when mine went up on the ramp in the workshop and the bottom (of the WHOLE CAR) nearly fell off.
    Galvanised now, so not an issue (unless you park it in the sea). I know this because I still haven't repaired the dent and broken paint from when ours was reversed into a tree a couple of years ago.
    You could buy an Alfa 156 2.0 estate. It's blue and originates from Manchester. Not very practical as an estate, but it looks good and it's fast. Oh, and there's a small dent in the back.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    msmancunia wrote:

if you bought a brera i think i would love you

55301-b-alf_opt.jpg

a little bit of wee comes out when ever i see one.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Bails, I like gagets.
    Fairy nuff.

FYI OP, the Focus with seats down will take my 18" MTB with 150mm forks with the front wheel off. Or my road bike with wheels on but with the front wheel at 90 degrees to the frame.

I got both of them, with both wheels off across the back seats, with the seats still up so had the whole bootspace empty.

And then I got three MTBs with wheels off, upside down lengthways in the back with seats down, along with 2 persons worth of camping kit for 5 days.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Galvanised now, so not an issue (unless you park it in the sea). I know this because I still haven't repaired the dent and broken paint from when ours was reversed into a tree a couple of years ago.
    You could buy an Alfa 156 2.0 estate. It's blue and originates from Manchester. Not very practical as an estate, but it looks good and it's fast. Oh, and there's a small dent in the back.

Think it would be too long for my drive - would poke out and a tractor would make a larger dint in the back than what's there at the minute! Taking all this in though - so thanks for all the comments.

In other news, I have an interview in a bit for a Very Exciting Secondment that's a sports-based competition that airs around mid-December so fingers and toes crossed please :-)
  • DonDaddyD
    mudcow007 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

55301-b-alf_opt.jpg

The only thing better than seeing a woman driving a Brera is a woman, opening the boot of a Brera, that she had just parked, and getting out her Bianchi road bike.

Oh my.... I need a moment.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Think it would be too long for my drive - would poke out and a tractor would make a larger dint in the back than what's there at the minute! Taking all this in though - so thanks for all the comments.

In other news, I have an interview in a bit for a Very Exciting Secondment that's a sports-based competition that airs around mid-December so fingers and toes crossed please :-)
    Did you move up to/back to Manchester when the BBC relocated?
    Food Chain number = 4

• msmancunia
    Yeah - did 7 years down south and then went for a job that was Salford based so I could come home. No fancy relocation allowance though! And I'm getting rained on every single day. But money goes further and it's quite exciting otherwise.
  • DonDaddyD
    Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton Please be Helen Skelton
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    On a more serious note I've always thought the cost of relocating is more prohibitive than anything else. How do people manage it/the costs?
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    All crossed for you and might even tie a knot in it. Good luck.
    Brera related. One of my neighbours has an electric blue diesel Brera. It's gorgeous, until you hear it start. At least my old estate sounds like an Alfa should.
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Brera related. One of my neighbours has an electric blue diesel Brera. It's gorgeous, until you hear it start. At least my old estate sounds like an Alfa should.

Ah Fanks. My turn in 15 mins...

DDD - weirdly coincidental but just went downstairs to Smiths and who should get in the lift? Ms Skelton! Looking very pretty today in a blue and white maxi-dress.
  • DonDaddyD
    msmancunia wrote:
    DDD - weirdly coincidental but just went downstairs to Smiths and who should get in the lift? Ms Skelton! Looking very pretty today in a blue and white maxi-dress.

fingerscrossed.gif Pics or it didn't happen!
    Did she say hello?
    Food Chain number = 4

• msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

I'm impressed - you know The Smiths 8)

Good Luck BTW
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mudcow007 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

55301-b-alf_opt.jpg

Wee - are you sure?!?!?!

I had several of these:

2001_alfa_romeo_gtv-pic-32953.jpeg

2.0 litre tuned to 200BHP and a 3.2 cup.

And several 156 models. Never had a problem with any of them. However, You would not get a bike into any Alfa model including the sportwagon estate :-(

The clever money would be on a 1.6 Ford Focus around 10 years old with 1 or 2 previous owners and FSH of course.
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:

Let us know how you get on.
    DDD is now spent. He's a very exciteable young man.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    msmancunia wrote:
    DDD - weirdly coincidental but just went downstairs to Smiths and who should get in the lift? Ms Skelton! Looking very pretty.
    What's that phrase? FTFY...

My youngest is quite a fan of Ms Skelton [and so am I actually]. Reckon you could entice her up to The White House atop Blackstone Edge the week after next when we're up that way? I can make some vague promise about behaving, if needs be. Ta muchly. :)
  • CiB wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Ms Skelton! Looking very pretty.
    What's that phrase? FTFY...
    The phrase that springs to my mind is YOMANK

and not necessarily for the usual reason....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    gtvlusso wrote:
    However, You would not get a bike into any Alfa model including the sportwagon estate :-(
    Lies! My 60cm Jake goes in the back of mine. With both wheels and the seat removed.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Veronese68 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    However, You would not get a bike into any Alfa model including the sportwagon estate :-(
    Lies! My 60cm Jake goes in the back of mine. With both wheels and the seat removed.

Amendment; you will not get a bike in the back without stripping the bike down!

I had the 'mushroom' coloured leather, so, bike components were not interior friendly......
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    msmancunia wrote:
    Thx for all the advice. Have thought about the car club/rental route, but the nearest car club car is in the centre of Manchester, so 8 miles away from me, and I kind of want a car for those last minute, completely underestimated how much paint I need/IKEA tealight emergency runs, which renting a car for is a bit of a hassle....

True... OTOH, CityCar have a Fiesta within a mile of Salford Quays and another four within three miles... and renting one of them is very, very easy- you just call up the website (or ring them) and book the one you want for however long you want it..
    Obviously not as handy as having your own car outside your house when you're at home, but that's an expensive option... and it's a lot more handy than having your own car outside your house when you're actually at work wanting to use it! :-)

Cheers,
    W.

Looks rather pricey to me, £750 insurance excess? 0.23 per mile will clock up quite quickly. I'm sure it's cheaper than running a new or newish car.

take your time and get a older simple car and costs can be quite reasonable.

My age, and where I live mean insurance is low.
    plus car is worth £350? so no value of such lost.
    While old is reliable spent under £200 on MOT and bits and bobs last year
    tax is low.
    milage is fairly low and is a frugal beasty any way.

clearly it's not a fun car, but then I live within the M25 It spends it's life on motorways or urban roads, handy for MTBing etc bike racks work well.