protien drinks

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited November 2012 in Health, fitness & training
hi i was thinking of starting to use protein drinks post and pre ride training at night i was wondering how many of you use them what type/brand and how often as my meal times are a bit shody working nights i dont eat at work in a 8 hour shift i only eat at 9am breakfast cereal and a main meal around 6pm with the family (fish rice pasta all the healthy good stuff) then head out about an hour or so after for a 2 or 3 hour ride to give me enought time to get home shower then head back into work for midnight.

I need to lose some belly and waist fat that wont shift no matter how hard or often i train.I'm 5' 11" tall and weight 11 stone 6 pounds.a body builder at work said my body could be going back starvation mode (every bite i eat my body needs to store as fat) cos of the lack of meals and protien intake is this true or not please help :?
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    Eat more. And more frequently. Sheesh - you're 6 foot tall and 11 stone 6 ?

Try skimmed milk or beer (preferably real ale) as a recovery drink.
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    yes and i have a 32 inch waist the wife says im to thin . iknow i need to bulk up a bit mainly my arms legs and pigeon chest i cant have any beer as a recovery drink as im in work for midnight
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    IMO not eating for 8 hours is a big problem both from performance/recovery and weight loss point of view. Muscles don't get a steady supply of carbs and proteins and sugar levels go from one extreme to another.
    Starving your body also encourages overeating.

I don't know what kind of job it is but I don't believe that you can't even have a (healthy) snack or a fruit smoothie every few hours. If I couldn't eat for the whole day I'd seriously considered changing a job (I know it's easier said than done nowadays).

Those little but more frequent snack should really make a difference.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Protein shakes are a supplement to a diet. They are not a diet by themselves.

You need to consume a LOT more food in a day. Your BB friend is right though,at that intake you probably are just storing fat,so when you begin eating more you will put a little weight on.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160

You need to consume a LOT more food in a day. Your BB friend is right though,at that intake you probably are just storing fat,so when you begin eating more you will put a little weight on.

this

try a recovery shake instead of just protein. You need simple carbs to help with the protein absorption. Will have added minerals etc as well which will help.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    DCR00 wrote:

this

try a recovery shake instead of just protein. You need simple carbs to help with the protein absorption. Will have added minerals etc as well which will help.
    ie: Make your own :D
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    My take on this is anything that is manmade, processed or in general pushed/advertised is more than likely a bad thing.

I try to swing away from protein shakes etc and go for the natural alternative for example a nice bag of mixed nuts and seeds and a nice variety of fruits, but don't just get your average lidl, aldi, supermarket fruits and nuts etc. Try and get the organic stuff fro. Holland and Barret or your local health store as these have alot higher levels of pretty much everything good for you in it, compared to your inbred seedless fruits, chewy nuts, damp seeds...crap that you get in supermarkets or anywhere you are pushed into going too.

And yes not eating for 8 hours is not good at all, there must be an alternative for you. Stick some snacks in your pocket or something.

Hope this 2 cents helps and sorry for any mistypes im on my phone

Chris
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Yargh, 'tis a conspiracy. Damn cheap nuts.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Protein shakes make you fat....

Don't help much with muscle gain.. but aid recovery..

Try Steroids... I heard those work..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Rushmore wrote:
    Protein shakes make you fat....

Don't help much with muscle gain.. but aid recovery..

Try Steroids... I heard those work..
    Bullshit :D
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    i have also been wondering about taking protein drinks after workouts or long rides (30 miles or so)

ive been asking on what i thought would be a welcoming forum, an unnamed body building forum, only to have people reply with super technical answers that i dont understand and then when i state i dont understand they just have a go and then say "sheesh, did the stickie threads not work anymore" bla bla, i read those things...they may as well be written in chinese.

im gonna just ask the personal trainer at the gym tomorrow
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    i have also been wondering about taking protein drinks after workouts or long rides (30 miles or so)

ive been asking on what i thought would be a welcoming forum, an unnamed body building forum, only to have people reply with super technical answers that i dont understand and then when i state i dont understand they just have a go and then say "sheesh, did the stickie threads not work anymore" bla bla, i read those things...they may as well be written in chinese.

im gonna just ask the personal trainer at the gym tomorrow
    Asking for post ride nutrition advice on a bodybuilding forum is a bit silly isn't it?
  • jakjtb
    nah it was post gym nutrition advice. nowt do with biking that one.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    jakjtb wrote:
    Post the question/s here.
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb wrote:
    Post the question/s here.

already asked the personal trainer in the gym and sorted it.
  • GeeSpot
    GeeSpot Posts: 17

Agreed for the protein shakes.The more muscle you have on your body, the more calories your body uses up within a day. so if the rest of your diet stays the same as it usually is then you should add more muscle and lose some body fat. Don't make the mistake of going to Argos for the,, there are alot of cheaper places to buy it than there! Just go to your local health food store. it is usually around £6 -7 cheaper than at argos.you should not take any protein drink if you have any form or fammilly history of kidney problems though!If you want to increase your size and strength buy a creatine based powder like cyclone.
  • good info already on this thread, i do use shakes BUT i do believe you can get the correct amount of protein from a good well balanced diet. I only use shakes if my lifestyle doesnt allow me time/opportunity to get a meal after training.
    Protein should be consumed regularly throughout the day but remember the body can only digest/handle so much of it within a day and eating to much protein is eating un-neccessary calories.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    There's no harm in taking protein shakes. The whole point of them is that they are quick and convenient.

I use USN 100% Whey Protein. It has 6 types of protein so it digests slowly over time and I find it helps me with recovery as well. If you are going to use it, work hard and it'll help. No point taking it if you haven't earned it.

Whole point of shakes is that they are a quick, relatively cheap and convenient source of Protein. 2 scoops with 250ml of water or milk will give me the same amount of protein as roughly a 12oz steak. It won't cost me as much, take as long to cook and eat but give me 50g of the good stuff and only 250 calories compared to about 1000 in the steak!

I usually just have 1 scoop right after a workout to refeed my muscles. It works for me.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You don't need that much protein though, it's just insanity.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    If you are serious about it go & see a nutritionist, they will look at your lifestyle, food intake and whatever goals you have and tailor your diet & supplements to suit, everyone is different, what you eat & when you eat it is key.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Id say protein intake is a good thing, especially before and after training BUT just remember that depending on the level of training your protein intake should only be x 1.5/2 of your bodyweight which is my one worry with shakes is that its easy to consume to much protein!
    Protein is fantastic for recovery, if your going to use shakes id recommend some with some carbs in too as a post ride recovery drink. i highly recommend phd synergy, tastes good too
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Id say protein intake is a good thing, especially before and after training BUT just remember that depending on the level of training your protein intake should only be x 1.5/2 of your bodyweight which is my one worry with shakes is that its easy to consume to much protein!
    Protein is fantastic for recovery, if your going to use shakes id recommend some with some carbs in too as a post ride recovery drink. i highly recommend phd synergy, tastes good too
    So if you weigh 80Kg, you should consume somewhere between 120-160Kg of protein?
    YeahIdonthinksosomehow.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    That advice is found on bodybuilding forums.

Obviously that's for hardcore dudes only and will be shitted out by most of us?

I'm on a low carb/high protein diet right now and aim for 80-100g of protein. 25g come from my shake.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    its 1.5 to 2x the bodywweight you would like to be in grams

i.e. i currently weight 100lbs, but i want to be 200lbs, so i consume between 300g to 400g of protein per day

excess wont be "shitted out" as you put it. As with most excess calories consumed by the body, if it doenst get used for something, it gets stored as fat, hence some of the comments earlier about shakes making you fat i.e. if you dont exert the amount of effort needed to utilise this sort of intake of calories and protein, then it will indeed make you fat

before you believe the marketing about shakes, go and read up on what glycogen is and how its created. At the same time have a quick read on the role of insulin and its influence on nutrient absorbtion. Once you understand how the body absorbs and utlises what you eat (its really not that complex), you wil realise that massive consumption of protein is only one part of the puzzle, and in most cases unnecessary.

it really is an eye opener. I used to be one of the suckers that consumed 3-4 shakes per day in the belief that it would make me bigger, In some respect it will have contributed, but in reality i wasted a pile of money. Since i binned off the protein shakes and moved to one recovery shake, my muscles havent fallen off and ive been able to train as hard of not harder than i did before

In the words of Public Enemy, dont believe the hype
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    DCR00 wrote:
    excess wont be "shitted out" as you put it. As with most excess calories consumed by the body, if it doenst get used for something, it gets stored as fat, hence some of the comments earlier about shakes making you fat i.e. if you dont exert the amount of effort needed to utilise this sort of intake of calories and protein, then it will indeed make you fat
    Anything in excess will contribute, not just protein of course. Then again, it isn't always overeating that makes you fat :D
    before you believe the marketing about shakes, go and read up on what glycogen is and how its created. At the same time have a quick read on the role of insulin and its influence on nutrient absorbtion. Once you understand how the body absorbs and utlises what you eat (its really not that complex), you wil realise that massive consumption of protein is only one part of the puzzle, and in most cases unnecessary.
    People go read? Don't be silly! Who wants to know that the human body has 3 energy systems and that carbs aren't actually,directly "fuel"?
  • Id say protein intake is a good thing, especially before and after training BUT just remember that depending on the level of training your protein intake should only be x 1.5/2 of your bodyweight which is my one worry with shakes is that its easy to consume to much protein!
    So if you weigh 80Kg, you should consume somewhere between 120-160Kg of protein?
    YeahIdonthinksosomehow.

You really are a sad twat arent you? just follow my posts looking for errors.

Sorry i didnt re-read my post before posting. as already mentioned it should be in grams.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Id say protein intake is a good thing, especially before and after training BUT just remember that depending on the level of training your protein intake should only be x 1.5/2 of your bodyweight which is my one worry with shakes is that its easy to consume to much protein!
    YeahIdonthinksosomehow.

You really are a sad fool arent you? just follow my posts looking for errors.

Sorry i didnt re-read my post before posting. as already mentioned it should be in grams.
    When giving advice it's good practice to proof-read it. I think that's all Yeehaa is getting at. As obvious as grams and kg are, the other mistake could mean advising a client to use 100kg barbel instead of 10.
  • agreed, although the mistake is kinda obvious as eating your bodyweight in protein would take some doing. its a shame that everybody on this forum doesnt have your level of politeness.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    agreed, although the mistake is kinda obvious as eating your bodyweight in protein would take some doing. its a shame that everybody on this forum doesnt have your level of politeness.
    Well, since I'm not psychic, I had no idea what the hell you were on about.
    Even if you are converting weights from one unit to another, what are we starting with, lbs? Kg? Stones? And what are we going to? grams, KG? lbs? ounces?
    it wasn't a case of proof-reading, it was just nonsense as you wrote it.
  • agreed, although the mistake is kinda obvious as eating your bodyweight in protein would take some doing. its a shame that everybody on this forum doesnt have your level of politeness.
    Well, since I'm not psychic, I had no idea what the hell you were on about.
    Even if you are converting weights from one unit to another, what are we starting with, lbs? Kg? Stones? And what are we going to? grams, KG? lbs? ounces?
    it wasn't a case of proof-reading, it was just nonsense as you wrote it.

I wrote it in a hurry before work, in a rush with the intention on helping others on this forum something you obviously dont do. Its a shame because this forum seems sound but every forum has one knob-head and in this case it appears to be you.
    Im done with trying to help people on here.