Lunch other than McDonalds

oodboo
oodboo Posts: 2,171
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm about 16 stone and tend to stay that way regardless of how much I ride. I'm pretty sure this comes down to my bad diet. I work between two site so travel between then and grab some lunch on the way. The most convenient tends to be McDonalds and I eat there between 2-4 times a week. I ride a couple of days a week as well and tend to grab a sandwich and a couple of bars of chocolate or go to the chip shop. So yes, my diet sucks. I reckon if I can fix my lunch time routine and stop eating crap then I'll lose some weight. So my question is what should I eat?

Getting kids ready in the morning means there's no time to make a sandwich before I leave the house and being disorganised means there's no chance of me getting my lunch ready the night before. So at lunch time I can get to Morrisons, Asda, McDonalds, KFC, chip shops and sandwich shops. What do you guy reckon my best options are?

Thanks
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    you've answered your own question mate

weight loss is nearly always down to diet

ditch the fast food and start making your own food to take with you.

You can find the time to make your own food, its just easier not to.

try and eat "whole" foods i.e. not man made, avoid sugar, and booze (my nemesis)

plenty of veg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    oodboo wrote:
    Getting kids ready in the morning means there's no time to make a sandwich before I leave the house and being disorganised means there's no chance of me getting my lunch ready the night before.
    Sorry, but that's just bullsh*t. Most of the people I know are single parents, and all manage just fine to sort their food, and the kids out in time.

If you're passing Maccy Ds anyway, go for one of their salads. Or a chicken royale or something like that, but get a bottle of water with it instead of a soft drink.
    Quit making excuses and just eat less crappy, well, crap. Your diet doesn't have to be super-healthy to lose weight, just healthier.
    And that is something very easy to achieve if you just apply yourself the tiniest little bit.
  • oodboo
    Maybe it's often not as straight forward for me as it is for other parents but getting up and out in time for work is a challenge. Fitting in time to make some lunch isn't an option (without getting out of bed even earlier). And as I said I'm not organised enough to get my lunch ready the night before. I was asking for suggestions of what I can get while I'm out.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    And I gave you some.
    Read a bit further.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    oodboo wrote:
    Maybe it's often not as straight forward for me as it is for other parents but getting up and out in time for work is a challenge. Fitting in time to make some lunch isn't an option (without getting out of bed even earlier). And as I said I'm not organised enough to get my lunch ready the night before. I was asking for suggestions of what I can get while I'm out.
    What you want it someone to come along and merrily tell you good things about your bad habits. This won't happen and tbh if it does,I love a good debate. It's incredibly hard to believe that in a 24 hour period,you can't spare a few minutes.

If you spent as much time making sammiches as you did making excuses,you'd have a very large picnic.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Go for your burgers plain. It's the mayo and cheese bit that holds a lot of the fat. Have the salad, not chips, and go for either water, diet something or the Tropicana. All if you really don't have the 10 mins it takes to source and make sandwiches and a healthy snack everyday.

Most high street quick food is full of shite, it's simple, even the stuff you wouldn't expect and is seen by many as the healthier option.
  • oodboo
    I appreciate the advice from the people who are giving it. For everyone else, how about you spend the day in my shoes before jundging whether or not I have time to make a sandwich in the morning.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    oodboo wrote:
    I appreciate the advice from the people who are giving it. For everyone else, how about you spend the day in my shoes before jundging whether or not I have time to make a sandwich in the morning.
    :roll:
    I for one DID give you advice you jacka55.
    And no, I do not believe that you have no time to make a sandwich. We're not falling for your sh*t, so you're only kidding yourself.
    Get up earlier, or make it the night before, and quit your moaning.
  • oodboo
    I didn't say you didn't give me advice but you happen to fall into both catagories.

Strava
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    oodboo wrote:
    You could carry on eating what you like and enjoy life or you could eat "healthy" food but you'll end up self-righteous yet very angry like some around here :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I just can't be arsed with the "wah wah wah, it's not my fault" timewasters.
  • oodboo
    I just can't be arsed with the "wah wah wah, it's not my fault" timewasters.
    I'm not sure where this attitude has come from. I asked for some advice and gave you enough info to base that advice on. I'm not saying anything is not my fault and if you can't be arsed with it then don't comment.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    oodboo wrote:
    I'm not saying anything is not my fault and if you can't be arsed with it then don't comment.
    oodboo wrote:
    Maybe it's often not as straight forward for me as it is for other parents
    Right. Not your fault eh?

look, it's like alchoholism, or any other addiction. to overcome it, first you need to realise the you have a problem.
    In your case, you're making excuses. Stop making those excuses, get your arris in gear and sort yourself out. You must surely know that eating at McD and chippies is not going to solve anything, and you've made it apparent that you know it would be advantageous to make your own lunch to stop you popping into takeaways (not to mention far cheaper).
    You're going to have to change something if you want to lose weight - so change your routine. Make food the night before, or in the mornings. Nobody's going to do it for you.
    And if you REALLY aren't willing to put any effort into it, then follow the other advice you've been given.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Can't you grab some stuff from one of the supermarkets and make your own lunch while you're out? That way you can decide exactly what you want to eat...
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    If there's a kebab shop or van, then get a chicken shish with plenty of salad. No bread if you really want to lose weight faster.

No chips.

And drink water or tea - no sugary fizzy stuff.
  • A sandwich takes 2 minutes to make. So if you really want to you can make a healthy lunch really quickly. But you have to really want to. Otherwise convenience foods are just too easy.

Oh and watch the BBC Series about why we're all fat - it'll change your perception(and hopefully your diet)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01kd06l/

See if you can see the first two episodes as well!!

Good luck :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    3rd post I linked to that ;-)
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    oodboo wrote:
    Getting kids ready in the morning means there's no time to make a sandwich before I leave the house and being disorganised means there's no chance of me getting my lunch ready the night before.
    Sorry, but that's just bullsh*t. Most of the people I know are single parents, and all manage just fine to sort their food, and the kids out in time.

If you're passing Maccy Ds anyway, go for one of their salads. Or a chicken royale or something like that, but get a bottle of water with it instead of a soft drink.
    Quit making excuses and just eat less crappy, well, crap. Your diet doesn't have to be super-healthy to lose weight, just healthier.
    And that is something very easy to achieve if you just apply yourself the tiniest little bit.

THIS, Couldn't have put it better myself "no time to make a sandwich" what B*****Ks
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • oodboo
    Stu Coops wrote:
    "no time to make a sandwich" what B*****Ks
    It's not just time, there's a whole other issue of disorganisation going on. Can't make a sandwich when there's no bread or any sort of filling in the cupboards. When there is stuff to make a sandwich then I will, but those times are few and far between at the moment. This is something we're working on and don't need your advice on.

Strava
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    oodboo wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    "no time to make a sandwich" what B*****Ks
    It's not just time, there's a whole other issue of disorganisation going on. Can't make a sandwich when there's no bread or any sort of filling in the cupboards. When there is stuff to make a sandwich then I will, but those times are few and far between at the moment. This is something we're working on and don't need your advice on.

You don't appear to need any advice at all since you're clearly happy stuffing yourself with McD's.
  • oodboo
    You don't appear to need any advice at all since you're clearly happy stuffing yourself with McD's.
    I think you've missed the point, I started this topic because I'm not happy stuffing myself with McD's and wanted alternate suggestions that aren't just take you're own food. Instead everyone seems to have made it about why I can't/don't want to take my own food.

Strava
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    oodboo wrote:
    I think you've missed the point, I started this topic because I'm not happy stuffing myself with McD's and wanted alternate suggestions that aren't just take you're own food.
    You know what to do
    Instead everyone seems to have made it about why I can't/don't want to take my own food.
    No you did

What is wrong with buying sandwiches somewhere? I'm sure that McD's isn't the only business handy
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
    "That, more or less, is the short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat in order to be maximally healthy."

"Once, food was all you could eat, but today there are lots of other edible foodlike substances in the supermarket... a health claim on a food product is a good indication that it’s not really food, and food is what you want to eat."
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    Co-ops are everywhere dude. Just jib in and get a sandwhich, pack of crisps or banana and a bottle of o-j or something. As well as this being just as filling as mikky d's it costs about half the price of mikky d's. Also easy stuff to make such as poached eggs and brown toast. Other than that it might just be a case of getting up 5 mins earlier to make something etc.
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    I had to do a double take there. Just had a brainfart where I unknowingly read that in the wrong language - "plant" is the Welsh word for "children".
    For a few seconds I thought you were promoting cannibalism :lol:
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    If you remove the time you spend waiting in the queue in McDonalds and use it to haul your excuse ridden arse out of bed 2 minutes earlier, you magically have time to make a sandwich.

Don't eat a mars bar, eat a banana.

Instead of going the chippy, make a salad.

It isn't rocket science, sort yourself out.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    ste_t wrote:
    If you remove the time you spend waiting in the queue in McDonalds and use it to haul your excuse ridden ars* out of bed 2 minutes earlier, you magically have time to make a sandwich.

Don't eat a mars bar, eat a banana.

Instead of going the chippy, make a salad.

It isn't rocket science, sort yourself out.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wanted to post this :cry:
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    oodboo wrote:

Getting kids ready in the morning means there's no time to make a sandwich before I leave the house and being disorganised means there's no chance of me getting my lunch ready the night before. So at lunch time I can get to Morrisons, Asda, McDonalds, KFC, chip shops and sandwich shops. What do you guy reckon my best options are?

Thanks

Ignore the sanctimonious twats on here preaching about what your lifestyle should be, there has been some reasonable advice.

Reduce portion size, make more of what you eat fruit and veg (easy to source from supermarkets) and drink more water.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    slowsider wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

Thanks

Ignore the sanctimonious twats on here preaching about what your lifestyle should be, there has been some reasonable advice.

Reduce portion size, make more of what you eat fruit and veg (easy to source from supermarkets) and drink more water.
    You need to go back to the start of the thread. The OP doesn't eat enough - skips meals - and when he does eat it's crap.

He clearly doesn't want to make time to shop for fresh ingredients,and even if he did. He doesn't want to make time to use them.