100 mile sportive training plan

TheEnglishman
TheEnglishman Posts: 587
It looks likely I'll sign up for a 100 mile charity ride that I have to complete at a min of 12 mph at the end of October. Everyone keeps telling me I need a plan but while there seems to be loads of marathon plans about I can't find a fast cycling plan. I'm looking for more o an exercise plan as opposed to 'just cycle lots' as I am recovering from a badly broken leg and don't want to do something that'll aggravate that.

Anyone got Amy tips o good websites to pick out of the thousands that google returns?

Or is it just best to sign up a personal trainer and if so can anyone recommend such a thing in the london area?

And if all thi has been asked before just ignore me :-)

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The best you can ask for is to crack on with building a solid base fitness for cycling as you are targetting October which will fast be on us.
    Have a read
    http://www.cycling-inform.com/general-t ... -a-cyclist

just 1 example of a coaching site... personal training is for general fitness targets, not really sports based.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Are you currently cycling at all? If so, how much?
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    12 mph is not terribly fast. What is your average pace now? How does the terrain of your typical rides compare with that of the charity ride? As has already been said, how far and how much riding are you currently doing?

If you can give an idea of your current level of fitness then some more focussed advice will no doubt readily follow. I certainly wouldn't want to waste money on a personal trainer just to ride a century (a fraction of the cost would be better spent on a decent turbo trainer for when the weather prevents any sensible training outdoors).
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    That's not fast, but even at that speed you'll take 8 hrs +, so building your endurance for long steady rides is the way to go. Plan loops that give you short-cuts home if you get tired or the leg pains you (rather than out-and-back routes). Once you are up to 60-70 miles, start doing t faster :D
  • Currently I'm cycling 60 miles a week commuting to and from word - 30 mins each way. It's kind of interval training through all the traffic lights between Clapham Junction and Shepherds Bush.

I've got a personal trainer at the gym as I have very tight leg muscles after a period of inactivity following a broken leg 9 months ago. He's got me on a roller (which hurts like hell, but it's supposed to :shock: ) and on certain machines working on specific muscles following an assessment.

I've only managed to do 2 long runs on the road so far - a 40 mile run at just under 14mph and a 60 mile run at just under 13(was knackered at the end - went very slowly)

I'm thinking of spending 30 minutes on a spinning machine in the gym (as I like the spd clips as it keeps my knee/leg/feet lined up)and am reading that either interval training (4 mins at 60% MHR then 1 min at 85% MHR) or just keep MHR at 80% for as long as possible (30 mins) is the way to go. I watched a program on TV last night where different athletes through the ages used very different training methods and I'm just confused.

Finally, I have a nice 15 mile, 1 hour route from home, if it ever stops raining. And I'm looking at trying a nice big run around Leith Hill which should be around 50 or so miles. With some 'hills'.

I know it's kind of a case of putting the miles in, but I'm bordering on paranoia over getting injured or 'getting it wrong' and doing some lasting damage as I'm no spring chicken at 46!

Anyway, enough of a stream of consciousness - I'm off for a beer :lol:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sitting on a Spin bike for 30 minutes is not base training.
    imo forget about intervals.
    However, if you have such limited time to spend, then eat well, and prepare for a very long day in the saddle, good luck.
  • Not limited time at all - I'm far more worried about over doing it.

And blow me this site has a set of training plans - it really is a good website this :-)
  • It looks likely I'll sign up for a 100 mile charity ride that I have to complete at a min of 12 mph at the end of October. Everyone keeps telling me I need a plan but while there seems to be loads of marathon plans about I can't find a fast cycling plan. I'm looking for more o an exercise plan as opposed to 'just cycle lots' as I am recovering from a badly broken leg and don't want to do something that'll aggravate that.

Anyone got Amy tips o good websites to pick out of the thousands that google returns?

Or is it just best to sign up a personal trainer and if so can anyone recommend such a thing in the london area?

And if all thi has been asked before just ignore me :-)
    We have our new training plans available.

Choose one to suit your needs (we have base builder plans, and one specifically for Sportive preparation), and we then customise it to suit your cuurent fitness level, training time available per week, how many weeks you need plan for etc. Plans are delivered online, with access to coach for occasional questions:

RST Sport Training Plans
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    If you ve got concerns over your leg then you dont want to be miles from home and find yourself in a load of pain.
    My GF following knee surgery, used the Chris Carmicheal time crunched cyclist book - "New Centery plan" stuck to it religiously and got round the medium course of the Maratona - less than 6hours, she stops alot for the strudel and views :) - maybe not a 100miles but still a heck of a long ride with loads of climbing - she did a few 1 to 2 hr rides b4 starting the program.
    big advantage for her and you is that alot of it can be done on a turbo, so you can stop if needed.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    mamba80 wrote:
    If you ve got concerns over your leg then you dont want to be miles from home and find yourself in a load of pain.
    My GF following knee surgery, used the Chris Carmicheal time crunched cyclist book - "New Centery plan" stuck to it religiously and got round the medium course of the Maratona - less than 6hours, she stops alot for the strudel and views :) - maybe not a 100miles but still a heck of a long ride with loads of climbing - she did a few 1 to 2 hr rides b4 starting the program.
    big advantage for her and you is that alot of it can be done on a turbo, so you can stop if needed.

I'd second this recommendation. The book has a customised plan for a newbie century ride and is focused on making the most of your training time.

Other tips I'd give are:
    - get a bike fit. Longer rides tend to accentuate any issues with bike setup and/or riding posture.
    - if you are not already used to riding with a group, get some practice before the event. Riding with a group is a lot more fun and much easier but does need a bit of practice. Chances are there will be some runs organised by a local club or bike shop nearby.
    - force yourself to go out in really crap conditions (not difficult right now, maybe you are just getting that on your commute). Sadly in October there's a chance the weather may be a trifle inclement. It will help check your wet weather gear is up for the job. It also helps keep a positive mindset. (Worst time I have ever had on bike was 2 days in Belgium cycling the wrong way into a torrential gale. Ever since then no matter how tough things are I can say to myself "at least its not as bad as Belgium". (Related subject, if you don't already have them suggest getting some shoe cover and really good gloves.)
    - stay positive. A recent article in the New Scientist http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111960/Good-news-youre-middle-aged-Youre-evolutions-peak-according-scientists.html conclusively proved :wink: that we middle aged folks are triumphs of evolution, fully fitted for taking on new challenges like a century ride.

Good luck
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Thanks for the advice - the books on order.

So far I've got a really good bike fit (Alex at Specialized Ruislip spent ages and ages getting me just 'perfect) I can't recommend getting a bike fit enough. Ok it's expensive, bit I don't think I'd be able to ride at all on a 'stock' bike bought from a shop that 'just puts them together'

So I went out last night and the fitness regime seems to be paying off so far - I did a 15 mile route including 500 feet of ascent (small hills I know, but it felt hard) at just over 16mph and after a 45 minute rollering/stretching/cool down session at the gym I joined I feel fine this morning. So it's the same again today with a rest day on Sunday. And I stole some long routes of a local 'serious' bike club (serious in that they said don't call us we'll call you when I said I was a beginner) so hopefully have some quiet interesting roads to go down

I've got to get a better helmet or some 'improved' system to keep rain off my face as I wear glasses. I'm trying contacts and will hit the local bike shops later to hear their thoughts. Decent kit helps too - I've gone from wearing a cotton T shirt (really cold in the wet) to a micro thin high tec fibre top(not telling the wife how much it cost) with a cycling (gillette?) over the top - warm and just windproof enough when it's raining.

So I guess it's just a case of knuckling down and getting the miles in. So no more online games or beers in the pub after work. And the local butcher's *loving* me!
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    I've got to get a better helmet or some 'improved' system to keep rain off my face as I wear glasses. I'm trying contacts and will hit the local bike shops later to hear their thoughts.

I'd recommend daily contacts. For a quid a day they're simple, convenient and cheap.
  • mamba80 wrote:

Thank you very much for posting the recommendation, I've been looking for good cycling training plans too, and this book sounds wonderful. Kudos to your GF for improving so much after her knee surgery.. I'm having knee problems now and it's nice to know it can be done.. !!
    Schwinn 700c Varsity Road
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    From my experience, most of the hurdle is in the mind and staying positive that you can do it. The next in the backside. You're going to spend a lot of hours in the saddle so you do need to build up the time you spend on training rides to make the 100 miler less of an impact on your backside. If you're suffering with pain it will play on your mind so get the chamois cream on and get used to sitting on a saddle for lots of hours. Distance; if you can do 70 miles you can do 100. Pace; it doesn't matter about pace, just aim to finish accepting you have a 12mph average to meet, but that is easily achievable. Look at the course profile to assess where you need to conserve your energy and where you can start digging in. It's pointless going at it like a jackhammer from the start if the end of the course has some good lumps in it that will need your energy reserves, but equally if it flattens out at the end you can increase your pace to finish. It is hard work unless you're regularly doing big distances so don't expect it to be a breeze. And don't overlook refueling.

Forgot about age; age doesn't matter. OK, maybe you aren't going to be able to contend for any race wins any time soon but this is endurance. (Yes I know some folk have the time to go out and do 100 mile rides several times a week). I did my first 100+ at 50 and in all honesty it was one of the most enjoyable rides I've done.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks for that. :D

Last week was a setback in that I had a bad case of food poisoning so haven't been on a bike all week. Well, I haven't been out of the house all week really.

I'm currently doing a hilly 50 miler once a week with another 100 miles or so of either commuting or training sessions, dependent on what the plan says. I'm hoping to loose around half a stone in 'flab' - down from 11 to 10.5 stone.

So, around 2 and a half months to 'get the miles in'
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    now youre doing the 50 per week plus some other mileage that should see you through. maybe do a couple of 60s in a few weeks time and then a couple of 70s. you can back it back down to 50s for the last couple of weeks before the ride. Dont forget to rest in between rides.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    On the glasses front I use Rudy Project with RX inserts with a bifocal prescription -distanbce/using mobile phone. Need varyfocals otherwise, can't use lenses satisfactorily due to type of Astigmatism. cycling cap keeps rain under control nicely & fits under helmet