Nibali & Wiggins

2»

Comments

• rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Nothing wrong with a bit of mind game tactics. From the sound of things, its getting to Nibali and its whether he's mentally strong enough to be able to come back from that look that Bradders might have given him.... :roll:
  • pb21 wrote:
    I think he means 'desperate' in the sense that it was too little, a weak attempt.

I agree. I think it was in reference to the bottom of the descent being such a long way from the finish it was never going to work so it was desperate to even try.
  • ginsterdrz
    ginsterdrz Posts: 128
    It's just pure frustration!

What can they do to counter Wiggo???

Nibali-big mouth dwarfs his 'talent'.

Evans-boring, whining, annoying, unimaginative.

If Nib is wounded by a 'hard' stare he's in trouble.

He deserved it attacking the Yellow jersey....no respect ;-)
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Actually Wiggins said that he knew Nibali would attack on the descent but the fact he was on his own at the bottom was a little desperate and pointless as they knew on his own they would be able to reel him in.

They gambled a little on the fact Sagan wouldn't be able to offer too much help once they finished the descent and the gamble paid off.

It's all mind games and it adds a bit of spice though I do think Nibs is doing a good job of making himself look the bigger nob.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Didn't Wiggins say Nibs attack was "pointless" in his presser.

It's just banter.

Think it was 'desperate'.

You want to play a team sport Rick. This stuff is really mild.

It's all in the game, yo.

No, I mean Wiggins called Nibali's attack 'desperate' rather than pointless.

I agree, it's mild and I want more of it.

When I coxed I used to turn my box up as loud as it went and abused the other boat racing us.

Ooh 'ark at you. Haye and Chisora, look out 0 the rowers are in town! :mrgreen:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Ginsterdrz wrote:

That's harsh on Evans, he has shown real class in his interviews so far even when he gets collared straight after the finish line. To be honest I think he just realises that he doesn't have the legs to win this Tour. He's hardly boring, he has had a couple of goes but no-one can attack a rival when they are already on their limit.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Pross wrote:
    Ginsterdrz wrote:

That's harsh on Evans, he has shown real class in his interviews so far even when he gets collared straight after the finish line. To be honest I think he just realises that he doesn't have the legs to win this Tour. He's hardly boring, he has had a couple of goes but no-one can attack a rival when they are already on their limit.
    All the interviews I've seen at this tour he's been upbeat. Even the one when he was warming down after the TT.

He's so much more relaxed these days. 2008 and the 'touch my dog, i'll cut your head off'* is a long time ago.

* which apparently was a joke TV show reference anyway but it misfired
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    calvjones wrote:
    [When I coxed I used to turn my box up as loud as it went and abused the other boat racing us.

:lol:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    calvjones wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Didn't Wiggins say Nibs attack was "pointless" in his presser.

It's just banter.

Think it was 'desperate'.

You want to play a team sport Rick. This stuff is really mild.

It's all in the game, yo.

No, I mean Wiggins called Nibali's attack 'desperate' rather than pointless.

I agree, it's mild and I want more of it.

When I coxed I used to turn my box up as loud as it went and abused the other boat racing us.

You jest but I racked up about £100 in fines over a season once....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Nibali is sicilian,

have you guys not seen the Mafia classics...?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Brassknocker
    Brassknocker Posts: 209
    LangerDan wrote:
    Meh - Nibs should have gone the whole hog - "riders who've never won a GT should be a little more respectful to those who have...."

Anyhoo, I'd be slow to hack off a Sicilian. Bradley will wake up some morning and find Paul Weller's decapitated head in his bed

LangerDan, that's the 3rd time in a couple of days you''ve made me 'LOL' ...
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I thought Nibali was over-reacting.

Did you see the interview with Cadel Evans after the stage? Sounds like he sprinted as he thought Wiggins had a problem, also said something about winning and no need for sportsmanship/nice guys. At least he's honest
  • RowCycle wrote:
    Did you see the interview with Cadel Evans after the stage? Sounds like he sprinted as he thought Wiggins had a problem, also said something about winning and no need for sportsmanship/nice guys. At least he's honest

I thought he was stating he didn't attack as he thought there was an incident behind him and it was have been unsporting to do so?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    RowCycle wrote:

I thought he was stating he didn't attack as he thought there was an incident behind him and it was have been unsporting to do so?

Yep, I think it was a dig at Nibali who attacked just after Rogers' problem.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Pross wrote:
    RowCycle wrote:

Yep, I think it was a dig at Nibali who attacked just after Rogers' problem.

Ah, ok, my mistake.

On a side note, I'm enjoying Evans more this year than last, seems a bit more real/honest in his post race interviews.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Nibali has put all his eggs in 1 basket, the TDF (having skipped the Giro). He's coming up short and know's he ain't got a chance so he's chucking his toys out.

He whinged about Sagan at the Tireno when his teammate was showing such good form and seemed to be stronger. Diddums!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Thing with Cadel is that he seems resigned to losing barring something really freakish happening. Think that exaplains why he is so calm and sprinting to the sline to at least show he is trying to put up a fight when he knows its next to being poinless.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    rebs wrote:
    Thing with Cadel is that he seems resigned to losing barring something really freakish happening. Think that exaplains why he is so calm and sprinting to the sline to at least show he is trying to put up a fight when he knows its next to being poinless.

wow .. that quote could turn around and bite sometime soon :|
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    Maybe Cadel seems a bit more relaxed this year simply because he is now a TdF winner. As josame says, I wouldn't write him off just yet even though his form hasn't been great so far this year. I can't see him being resigned to losing at this stage - plenty still to play for
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Froome - strongest rider in the race, just as Dave 1 predicted.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Great to see Nibali fighting
    Cadel is done and should give Tejay the go for a stage win
    Wiggins is going to win because Froome is on a leash
  • wiggo is the most boring rider since big mig and thank god he wont bore his way to 5 titles
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Wiggins is going to win because Froome is on a leash
    Maybe. It is a wild guess though.

None of us have any idea how close Wiggins is to his limit. To be honest he looks very comfortable.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shall we put wiggo+evans 2+3 and Froome and JvdB for no1
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    Nice to see Wiggins and Nibali apparently friends again today.

Regarding the Cadel thing and sportsmanship, it was reported that Nibali attacked just as Rogers had been brought down supposedly by Cadel forcing him wide on a bend or something so i suppose that would explain why he felt bad attacking too - espeically when Rogers is a compatriot.

Froome does seem a bit stronger in the mountains but Wiggins beat him in the ITT and will perhaps do so by more in the next supposedly flatter ITT so there's not really so much between them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pedalpower wrote:
    Regarding the Cadel thing and sportsmanship, it was reported that Nibali attacked just as Rogers had been brought down supposedly by Cadel forcing him wide on a bend or something so i suppose that would explain why he felt bad attacking too - espeically when Rogers is a compatriot.
    I think Evans was a little harsh there. Nibali had probably planned to attack there - certainly lots of people expected it - so he really should be expected to change his plans if a domestique punctures. (I would argue that it would be legitimate to attack a GC contender in those circumstances too)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    Yeh, i think it's fine Nibali attacking but understandable Evans was a bit unsure whether he should if he was responsible for the incident.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Froome - strongest rider in the race, just as Dave 1 predicted.
    You mean in the same way he predicted froome would win the TT easily? Ah ok.
    :D