Really simple training plan?

bungalballs
bungalballs Posts: 193
Hi All,

I'm new to road cycling and really enjoying it - have been into mtb for a long time, but the freedom of being able to jump on a road bike straight outside the door, and lots of country lanes on my doorstep lured me in! I'm definitely in the beginner category and still learning techniques and gaining confidence etc. I bought the bike with hopes of commuting(on C2W), but will only have the opportunity to commute maybe twice a week at best. It's about 23miles each way though so hopefully worthwhile.

I'm after a very simple training plan, purely to build my strength/endurance/speed to make cycling more enjoyable, I don't have any intentions of racing at the minute (I race my mtb - would be nice if it could make me faster for the winter series!). I'm not interested in timing things, cadence computers, power monitors, hill repeats etc...

All I'm after is something along the lines of; one ride a week as far as you can without worrying about speed, one ride a week say 1hour with a faster average pace, one ride a week 'casual intervals' say a hilly route or with sprints and rests. It would be good if I can count say 1 commute a week as one of these rides - quite happy to extend my return commute if needs be (if/when I'm fit enough!)

Any advice, or can anyone point me in the right direction of articles etc? Thanks!

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Ride more
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Have you tried pedaling harder?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Buy a power meter
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited July 2012
    Ride more

This might sound sarcastic, but it is the best advice. The more you ride the fitter you get. It's really when you progress that a proper training plan is maybe worthwhile, but even then most people generally don't bother.

If you want a slightly more detailed plan....

Try and ride as hard as you can. If your tired and in need a rest, cycle slower.
    Simon
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Ride more

This might sound sarcastic, but it is the best advice. The more you ride the fitter you get. It's really when you progress that a proper training plan is maybe worthwhile, but even then most people generally don't bother.

If you want a slightly more detailed plan....

Try and ride as hard as I can. If your tired and in need a rest, cycle slower.
    Ahh don't get too complicated now :lol:
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    after a few rather poor threads recently, you seem to be receiving a slightly condescending series of replies, but as pointed out above they are partly tongue in cheek I suspect...

If you're fairly new to it then and dont have any specific goals/events you're aiming at, then simply getting the miles in will soon make a good difference.

Perhaps 1 long steady ride that gradually increases in distance/time on the road to keep pushing your endurance limits and depending on your training hours available, 1-3 shorter harder sessions where you push as hard as you can at a steady pace for 60-90 mins or so. There's a lot to be said for just getting out and riding as much as possible and as much as your time/weather/wife/husband/job allows and reaping the benefits!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Bigpikle wrote:
    after a few rather poor threads recently, you seem to be receiving a slightly condescending series of replies, but as pointed out above they are partly tongue in cheek I suspect...

If you're fairly new to it then and dont have any specific goals/events you're aiming at, then simply getting the miles in will soon make a good difference.

Perhaps 1 long steady ride that gradually increases in distance/time on the road to keep pushing your endurance limits and depending on your training hours available, 1-3 shorter harder sessions where you push as hard as you can at a steady pace for 60-90 mins or so. There's a lot to be said for just getting out and riding as much as possible and as much as your time/weather/wife/husband/job allows and reaping the benefits!

Threads are poor because precious little snowflakes expect to be handed personalised information pertaining to them and to goals that they often don't divulge. This just happens to be a cycling forum where believe it or not,riding your bike is the single greatest thing you can do to make improvements.

The answers are exactly the same on tennisradar or yogaradar. If you want to be able to hit a ball really well or bend yourself into 25 positions without giving yourself a hernia, then hitting balls or bending for hours are the best ways to train.
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Haha, thanks guys, yes I suspect the hours will be the best way to train! Thanks for the responses, hopefully we can catch the thread before it turns sour...

I'm going to struggle to do more hours than I already do, so my real goal was to make the most of the time I have without making it so structured that it's no fun. To be honest I don't really have a goal, maybe I should enter a race or something so I have something to aim for.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Do a search for TCC
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Don't listen to these mugs. They don't know anything. I have the perfect training plan for you, at just £64.95 per month.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Haha, thanks guys, yes I suspect the hours will be the best way to train! Thanks for the responses, hopefully we can catch the thread before it turns sour...

I'm going to struggle to do more hours than I already do, so my real goal was to make the most of the time I have without making it so structured that it's no fun. To be honest I don't really have a goal, maybe I should enter a race or something so I have something to aim for.

How many rides a week will you do?

If I were doing 3 or more then I'd turn one into a structured high intensity interval session and save the rest of them for pleasure.

Even better.. do the high intensity stuff off the bike.. and enjoy all your riding!
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Time Crunched Cyclist - Chris Carmichael
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sadly I've got that book but not had the time to read it yet. :oops:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the book and have read the good bits, even got as far as doing the MHR tests, but I still haven't actually followed any of the plans :oops: