New indoor trainer advice needed please.

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
A bit of a dilema that I may face come bonus time in January.

I'm a mtb'er at heart (Don't shoot please) but find myself road riding a fair bit on an old rigid mtb with slicks.
Was all set to splash out and buy a new road bike specific to the job, but the last one I had (Giant TCR C2) didn't really get used once the novelty had wore off.

My main aim for the road riding is simply to get fit (lose weight) and to enjoy 30 mile or so rides at a leisurely to quick pace. Nothing serious and no clubs etc.

This is fine in the English summer but in winter time I don't want to be road riding in the dark and some nights it is just a pain in the backside getting the mtb out and having to clean it and myself following every ride.

So, I am now thinking of a nice indoor trainer instead, which will be used all year round.

I fancy one that has variable programmes and maybe even a screen to watch (Like the Tacx things).

However, I have an older Tacx flow turbo and that was immensly boring to use so again is sat in a corner gathering dust.

Put simply, I need to have something interesting to keep me going through an hour or so on a trainer. I think the ones that replicate a race with differing inclines and terrains etc is a good idea, or even something like a Wattbike where I could immerse myself in correct form and get the most out of training with differing routines etc.

So, the big question is what trainer would people reccomend for up to say £1500. (Would stretch to the Wattbike if it was deemed the best option)

I know I could buy a good turbo to replace mine for £250 and get a nice road bike as well, but that isn't the question :)

Any thoughts and opinions / experience would be most welcome.

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Save your cash. Break out your old trainer and download any Sufferfest video. Your pain begins..... :twisted:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Sounds like whatever you buy it'll sit in the corner gathering dust. This could be why you're a MTB'er and not a roadie, you just can't hack the tedium and suffering, you prefer technical rides and variation.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • twonks
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Save your cash. Break out your old trainer and download any Sufferfest video. Your pain begins..... :twisted:
    Never heard of that, but will have a look and see what it is all about.
    dw300 wrote:
    Sounds like whatever you buy it'll sit in the corner gathering dust. This could be why you're a MTB'er and not a roadie, you just can't hack the tedium and suffering, you prefer technical rides and variation.

You raise an interesting and valid point there !

I do love all things cycling, but do seem to get bored of road riding as a hobby. It is more of a means to an end to getting fit. Like all things in life, I'd expect that if I was good at it and could hold a nice average speed I'd enjoy it more.

Thinking about it, the main reason I want a trainer with varied features and analytical stuff is probably more to do with preventing boredom than it is to actually use the features properly.

Hmm, shall have to have a think.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    dw300 wrote:
    This could be why you're a MTB'er and not a roadie, you just can't hack the tedium and suffering, you prefer technical rides and variation.

And unfit and needs to lose weight :?:
  • find a used Computrainer and set up with some erg videos

Wattbike is nice kit but not programmable. Having the pre-programmed sessions like erg vids means longer indoor sessions are much more bearable.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    I find rollers are less boring as you have to concentrate a little more.
  • dw300
    Boredom is the product of a tired, unfit mind. If you focus on something you won't get bored. I like a bit of zen training where I just get on and empty my mind, and without sounding cliched, embrace the pain, get used to it, tell yourself it's not sore and you can push through it. That extra aspect to training helps double the benefit for when you're out on a ride. It's not something you do every time, but getting on the phantom aerobars and closing your eyes can get you through a session without boredom. Like physical fitness, you have to work your way up to doing it for the whole session.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    The Tacx Genius Multiplayer VR being advertised on Eurosport looks really good, check out videos on you tube. I was looking this up myself only yesterday thinking it would be good for the winter (or even now in this summer were having), but spending nearly £1100 on a fancy turbo seems a bit OTT, I do ride outside in the winter with lights when it's dark and get out at the weekends providing the weather allows.
    Iv'e already got rollers which are ok but there's just no resistance in them so I struggle to get a really good productive session, and I have a magnetic turbo but when I get it up to speed it just makes a hell of a racket through the house even with the specific tyre, so I end up cranking the resistance up high and use low gears to stimulate hill training, that's ok but I find takes a lot of motivation to get started training indoors. High speed spinning would just be deafening on it.
    A customer review on Wiggle for the Tacx Genius suggests its very quiet compared to a normal trainer and so it maybe well worth the investment.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    £50-£60 for a garmin GSC10 sensor and a USB ANT+ stick.

10$ a month for trainer road. A few quid for sufferfest vids which sync in TR. Why would anyone feel the need to spend £1000+
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344

10$ a month for trainer road. A few quid for sufferfest vids which sync in TR. Why would anyone feel the need to spend £1000+

Amen to that.....
  • Mr Dog wrote:

I like it............IWBMATTKYT.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Garryboy wrote:

Amen to that.....
    I should state I haven't done this - But will be when the weather turns :P
  • dw300

Aware me about Training Road. If I have that sensor and the USB ANT+ stick can it determine my speed as well as cadence on a fluid trainer? And if so can you explain how please?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:

Aware me about Training Road. If I have that sensor and the USB ANT+ stick can it determine my speed as well as cadence on a fluid trainer? And if so can you explain how please?
    Yes the GSC10 is an ANT+ speed/cadence unit. It pairs via Garmin agent (Garmin USB ant+ receiver) the same as it would to a Garmin 200/500/800/Forerunner or whatever device.

You pair the devices in TR itself (which can include HRM's/powermeters/powertap hubs) and the software displays the values.You can also FTP test with virtualpower and update your profile so subsequent rides scale to it.

You can also set % of your FTP you wish to ride at.

USB Stick

Sensor

http://youtu.be/rqUxMrqnTE0
  • dw300
    Cheers man. I'm definitely going to look into TR, I'd never heard of it before.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    Cheers man. I'm definitely going to look into TR, I'd never heard of it before.

Bidding on a GSC10 unit on an auction site currently lol. Seems like a perfect piece of software to spin away winter months.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    I have;

Cycleops jet fluid pro turbo
    Gsc10 cadence / speed monitor
    Ant+ HR monitor
    Trainer road on laptop
    Ant + usb stick (from garmin forerunner fr60)
    Most sufferfest vids

Ive only just started using trainer road, but it been great so far and def makes me push harder when doing the 'fest vids - because it sets you a target based on power (actual if you have a power meter or virtual if you dont). Early days but liking it so far.

You do need to be careful that your set up is consistent - tyre pressure, pressure of turbo against wheel etc.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Amazon have new gsc10s for under £30...
    How does Trainer Road synch with your speed/virtual power/sufferfest download?
    I would be using Xperia phone for ant+ data.
    This really sounds good but a little confusing.
    cheers
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Save your cash. MTFU and go out and ride... are you really telling us that you're a mountain biker but don't want to get wet and cold on your bike?
    Or alternatively you could sell all your bikes and start going to Zumba classes.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    JGSI wrote:
    cheers
    USB ANT+ receiver. (not sure exactly why you'd be using a phone when the idea is a pc based training system?)

You can drag and drop SF videos into TR just like moving any other file around. Then the sensors picking up speed/cadence start and stop the video. You then just follow the SF instructions.
  • jgsi
    JGSI wrote:
    cheers
    USB ANT+ receiver. (not sure exactly why you'd be using a phone when the idea is a pc based training system?)

You can drag and drop SF videos into TR just like moving any other file around. Then the sensors picking up speed/cadence start and stop the video. You then just follow the SF instructions.

Told you I was confused... so
    I need the usb ant+ stick for the laptop? and then good to go after getting the Trainer Road subscription.. I assume
    Its just that the xperia supports ant+
  • dw300
    JGSI wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    cheers

I need the usb ant+ stick for the laptop? and then good to go after getting the Trainer Road subscription.. I assume

It'd be kinda cool if TR had a smartphone app, then you wouldn't need to buy the USB dongle. I wonder are they considering that? Only drawback is that the vids wouldn't be very big, but equally, you wouldn't need a laptop to be able to use it.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    JGSI wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    cheers

Yes. The Xperia does support ANT,but that defeats the point of TR unless you use the sensors + phone for road rides too
  • dw300 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    cheers

It'd be kinda cool if TR had a smartphone app, then you wouldn't need to buy the USB dongle. I wonder are they considering that? Only drawback is that the vids wouldn't be very big, but equally, you wouldn't need a laptop to be able to use it.

Nate from http://www.TrainerRoad.com here. Yes, we want to do an iOS/Android app this winter. The problem is that only that xperia phone supports ANT+ out of the box, so you'd need to buy a wahoo ant+ dongle on an iPhone device. That's until more cycling devices support BlueTooth Smart.

For a question about what hardware is required, here's our page that shows minimum requirements: http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/ ... rainerroad

If you guys have any questions/comments let me know!

-Nate
  • dw300
    Nate from http://www.TrainerRoad.com here. Yes, we want to do an iOS/Android app this winter. The problem is that only that xperia phone supports ANT+ out of the box, so you'd need to buy a wahoo ant+ dongle on an iPhone device. That's until more cycling devices support BlueTooth Smart.

For a question about what hardware is required, here's our page that shows minimum requirements: http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/ ... rainerroad

If you guys have any questions/comments let me know!

-Nate

Now that's customer service! Product looks good guys. :)
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • jgsi
    Well I am already suited and booted with a Garmin usb and GSC10 delivered today.
    Subscription sorted... now all I need to do is connect up and do that 20 minute FTP test, oh joyessness

The Android app will be more than useful when it arrives.
  • So for a Powertap pro+ user you would just need the Ant+ usb and your good to go with trainer road?
  • dw300
    If a Garmin ANT+ USB and GSC10 was to land on my doorstep, i'd be happy to evangelize about if in every post I make here! ;)
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    So for a Powertap pro+ user you would just need the Ant+ usb and your good to go with trainer road?
    Yep ( speed/cadence?) I don't know enough about powertaps or your other hardware :P
  • twonks
    wow, didn't get any emails of replies so only just noticed all the comments. :)

I've just invested a massive £80 in a used road bike and will use this until January time when hopefully a bonus wil allow me to buy the road bike I want instead of a new trainer (of any sort)

This second hand bike has a TACX qr as a rear skewer so that has made my mind up to get the trainer set up and use it and a combination of training software.

As for the comments about not getting out in the rain and dark, I do but not on a road bike.
    Mud, wet and the cold is not an issue at all, but tbh I just don't fancy the idea of being on the road in such conditions. :roll:

Maybe this will change as I get more into road riding, but I can plan ahead and use the trainer I have (and Garmin) with minimal financial outlay.