Improve this bike:

Trailblazers
Trailblazers Posts: 31
edited July 2012 in MTB general
right, i've got roughly £250 to spend on improving my bike but i don't know what to spend it on. Was thinking about a dropper seatpost or front wheel etc...

Whyte T120 2012

http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_pag ... W-1-003-12

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    go on a course?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Petrol - £10
    Box of matches - 30p

I'm joking of course, looks very nice. Can't see anything I would immediately change. Is there anything you think isn't working for you? Maybe blow the whole budget on a really nice set of wheels.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    A dropper seatpost, or front wheel etc???

what's the etc? a back wheel?

I don't understand. Is there anything wrong with the bike? What would you like to improve or change? Are you constantly changing the seat height during rides or just riding certain sections with the seat at the wrong height cos you can't be ar$ed to stop and change it (me)? Do you want to make the "front wheel etc" lighter or stronger or do you just want it to be a different colour?

A list of the current spec might be useful if you really want people to try and second guess what you want...although it seems like an impossible task as you don't seem to know yourself so how is anyone else meant to know...??

Jeez...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • yeah the budgets part birthday money part ps3 (sold) so i thought i would treat my bike. Nothings 'wrong' as such but i need to improve confidence since i crashed at triscombe dh :x was thinking wider handlebars but the 710mm width isn't that narrow anyway...
  • look at link above the picture for spec list!
    people like you are one reason i barely post on this forum.

Jeez...
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Looks fine to me spec wise. Maybe a dropper post if you feel you are changing height a lot. If not, i'd leave it alone.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    dont spend it for the sake of it, new parts wont make you more confident and like you say 710mm bars should be fine for a confidence inspiring ride.

I'd keep the money and put it to better use......approx 100 after ride beers?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    nicklouse wrote:
    go on a course?
    +1
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • ok cool,
    just wondered what people spend on their bikes to improve it and in particular this bike if they owned it
  • go on a course?

no i'm ok thank you
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    FunBus wrote:
    dont spend it for the sake of it, new parts wont make you more confident and like you say 710mm bars should be fine for a confidence inspiring ride.

I'd keep the money and put it to better use......approx 100 after ride beers?

710 bars on an XC bike! what are you on?

leave the bike. go on a course and if there is anything that needs changing to help improve you on that bike the person giving the course will spot it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    ok cool,
    just wondered what people spend on their bikes to improve it and in particular this bike if they owned it

Most people upgrade parts as things wear out or their needs change. For such a new bike, I agree with nicklouse, or else just save the cash. It's an xc bike though, not a dh bike!
  • the handlebars came as standard.
    and my parents probably won't want to take my bike and I to a 'course'.
    As i said earlier : just wondered what people spend on their bikes to improve it and in particular this bike if they owned it.
    This will help me a great deal as i can decide whether there is anything that needs changing
  • i got it in december ride it 2-3 times a week (not really what i call 'new')
    its my birthday so i want to spend some money on my hobby
    want to improve the dh capabilities (still ride xc however)
    and would appreciate people who HELP!
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    If you're just worried about it at Triscombe dh i don't think a dropper post will be much use, do you feel the need to change height mid dh run?? Perhaps a shorter stem would be a cheap and easy upgrade to improve dh ability.

I would consider a skills course though, i'm sure there is someone in the quantocks area that offers them
  • thank you! shorter stem sounds like a good idea. maybe more travel? frame can go up to 140mm but voids the warranty. would a second hand rs rev be a good choice to improve stuff up front? its not that much heavier than a
    the reba?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What's wrong with going on a course? It's probably the best VFM upgrade most people can make.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • not saying anythings wrong with it.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Ok so you don't want to go on a course and just thinking about changing stuff for the sake or it. If I was in that position with that bike then:
    I would get some xt brakes. Money from sale of old brakes and you've still got about £150.
    New pedals - they look like V8s or V12 or something - I'd get some superstar nanos or as it's an XC bike then spds and some shoes.
    Still got £50 if you went for spds and shoes - Peaty grips and chromag seat clamp
    or £100 if you went for flats - Peaty grips, chromag seat clamp and ice tech rotors.

But that's just me. In fact none of that, I'm a fat bloke and believe all OEM wheels are made of cheese so I'd get some nice, strong wheels.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Infact, i probally will book a course with my mate in the summer but its the organising... (im a lazy sh*t!)
  • i was thinking about getting some ss nanos and tld grips. brakes are fine and seatclamp is awsome imo!
  • felix.london
    i got it in december ride it 2-3 times a week (not really what i call 'new')
    its my birthday so i want to spend some money on my hobby
    want to improve the dh capabilities (still ride xc however)
    and would appreciate people who HELP!

Sorry didn't see the link - it looks like a very decent spec to me. People are trying to help. When you were riding it on the DH trails what did YOU think could be improved, if anything?

Just cos someone has the same bike they will be a different shape, height & weight and they're probably not riding what you're riding (trail wise). You could change the way it rides by playing around with the fork and tyre pressure but what are you trying to achieve. I have spent plenty of time and money changing my old 2006 bike to make it more suited to where and what I ride. Is your seat uncomfortable? If it is you could change that but how can anyone else know? Do you see what I mean? Or not at all?

Trek Session 8
  • Felix

I know! people are helping! :
    thank you! shorter stem sounds like a good idea.

to answer your questions:
    i think more travel would help on the DH trails. but would also like to know what YOU think would help
    I have tried fork&tyre setting, helped a lot having less air
    My seat isn't uncomfortable.
    I see what you mean though...

Thanks for your help
    George,
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    edited July 2012
    yeah the budgets part birthday money part ps3 (sold) so i thought i would treat my bike. Nothings 'wrong' as such but i need to improve confidence since i crashed at triscombe dh :x was thinking wider handlebars but the 710mm width isn't that narrow anyway...

You need to improve confidence? Why do you think a peice of metal/plastic will do that, its psychological.

Do a skills course, get some advice from the trainer and then change things if recommended for what you want to do, so in essence if you're already planning on doing one save your money for now.
  • felix.london
    Do you use the granny ring a lot? If you don't you could change to a single ring with a chain device? Are you smacking the chain ring on rocks? You could fit a bashguard. I'm just guessing - we could be here all night.

Trek Session 8
  • might try a bash-guard actually. hmmm...
    although need the granny ring for cycling up the hills to the dh from my village + im quite lazy.

thanks for your help. and patience
  • Trailblazers
    Trailblazers Posts: 31
    edited July 2012
    i pretty happy with the bike, just wondering if it could be better
  • felix.london
    i think more travel would help on the DH trails. but would also like to know what YOU think would help
    I have tried fork&tyre setting, helped a lot having less air

aha...now we're getting somewhere! Proper questions that people can give you some advice on. Unfortunately I can't cos full suss XC bikes are something I have never ridden! So don't know what the effects would be of whacking a 140mm fork on there...but I know some of these fine folks will

Trek Session 8
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    It will be my next upgrade i think.
    VWsurfbum vers 1.2

So far i'm failing at inproving my airtime!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty