I miss them. I really, really do...

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
Heinz veggie sausage and beans. They were delicious, especially on hot buttered crumpets. :(
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Beans, on crumpets!? Really!?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Oh yes. A couple of poached eggs on top and you have a meal fit for a king.
    Not so sure about veggie sausages though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I'm missing them and I have never heard of them, I imagine the sugar in the beans goes well with crumpets.

Hungry now :cry:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Veggie sausage?
    You soft, southern, shandy-supper!
    article-1342769-0135B4E0000004B0-887_468x373.jpg
    Proper, Lincolnshire bangers!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • team47b
    Veggie sausage?

Ingredients
    British pork, coarse cut, minimum meat content 70%.
    Maximum fat content 25%.
    Breadcrumbs/bread rusk.
    Sage, salt and pepper.
    Natural pork casings (or sheep casings, for chipolata-style sausages).
    Sulphite preservative (to 450 ppm maximum).

It's a sausage with some Sage.
  • I made my neice throw up describing what went into a sausage. Something her mother still hasn't forgiven me for.

What's wrong with saying 'Everything but the squeak'?
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    That's squeal surely sqeaks from mice no wonder she threw up.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I've started eating veggie sausages as they are lower in fat.. and still taste almost like the real deal (It does help that the normal sausages at work are rank so i'm not missing much)
  • team47b
    I've started eating veggie sausages as they are lower in fat.. and still taste almost like the real deal (It does help that the normal sausages at work are rank so i'm not missing much)

you are missing quite a lot by not eating 'normal' sausages :shock:

Have you tried the veggie frankfurter or 'not dog'? They taste the same as the ones made from intestines. Apparently.

'Vegetarian hot dogs are sometimes eaten by non-vegetarians because they are lower in fat, calories, and contain no cholesterol, and little to no saturated fat, compared to hot dogs from animal meats. Therefore they are preferred by people following a low calorie, low fat or low cholesterol diet. Unlike traditional home-made meat sausages, the casing is not made of intestine' Wicki. p
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Have been eating Quorn nuggets and they're not bad, pinch of salt, some chips, beans - not bad at all. That said without the sides they're about as tasty as a damp sock.
  • team47b
    ...depends on who's socks :shock:
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    I'm a veggie, but Mrs DB isn't. But she now much prefers my veggie sausages to her usual meaty ones because of all the fat that's in them. I either cook Quorn ones in a little olive oil, or just do them in the oven. Very nice.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Veggie sausage?

Don't get me wrong. I love a proper sausage too, :shock: which is why I frequent places like this but there was a nice taste to the Heinz veggie sausages that other brands don't have - hence the title. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I thought from the title that this was going to be a post-vasectomy lament...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The real baffling thing to me is why vegeterian products are made and marketed to resemble meat.

Isn't the whole point that you are against eating meat and therefor all veggie products should be made and marketed in fruit and vegetable shapes ???

A veggie burger - thats salad in a bun - right!!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • team47b
    smidsy wrote:
    The real baffling thing to me is why vegeterian products are made and marketed to resemble meat.

Isn't the whole point that you are against eating meat and therefor all veggie products should be made and marketed in fruit and vegetable shapes ???

A veggie burger - thats salad in a bun - right!!!!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said products and marketing, not really about food is it?

I like the idea that veggie products should be fruit shaped, bright yellow curved sausages would be great :D
  • team47b wrote:
    I like the idea that veggie products should be fruit shaped, bright yellow curved sausages would be great :D

Something like this...?

R-82408-1187518870.jpeg

Hmmm. Possibly not.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    All week long i'm like durianrider -obsessive about my food and all that. But on a friday i have cheese and tater pie, beans and SAUSIES yum.
    We know how to party in the Shrops household :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180

No. Really - they don't.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    smidsy wrote:

Exactly this!

Veggie bacon shaped, bacon flavoured rashers? Why? It's a bit like marelting cigarette shaped, fag flavoured sweets to ex-smokers.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    adm1 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Exactly this!

Veggie bacon shaped, bacon flavoured rashers? Why? It's a bit like marelting cigarette shaped, fag flavoured sweets to ex-smokers.

Some veggies must like the taste but object for other reasons?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    team47b wrote:

No your still on about sausages - bright yellow lemon shapes or bright green bean shapes is what they should be.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Bunneh wrote:
    Have been eating Quorn nuggets and they're not bad, pinch of salt, some chips, beans - not bad at all. That said without the sides they're about as tasty as a damp sock.

Quorn???? Stick to the damp socks, much more protein and you must be recycling the bacteria from your feet!

If we were meant to be veggies we wouldn't have the teeth we do!

Love n hugs

DD

(running for cover)
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • team47b
    Hello DD not spoken before, how's it going?

"If we were meant to be veggies we wouldn't have the teeth we do!"

That is soooooo platitudinous :D

Humans have pathetically small "canine" teeth. In contrast, carnivores all have large canine teeth capable of tearing flesh.

Carnivores' jaws move only up and down, requiring them to tear chunks of flesh from their prey and swallow them whole. Humans and other herbivores can move their jaws up and down and from side to side, allowing them to grind up fruit and vegetables with their back teeth. Like other herbivores' teeth, human back molars are flat for grinding fibrous plant foods. Carnivores lack these flat molars.

PETA
  • mattshrops
    "humans and other herbivores.." Err NO. If you want to be a veggie thats your bidness but humans are OMNIVORES that is why we have the teeth we have.
  • team47b
    What you do is not necessarily the same as what you are, we are not anatomical omnivores, was the point I was making.

While most humans are clearly "behavioral" omnivores, human beings have the gastrointestinal tract structure of a "committed" herbivore. Humankind does not show the mixed structural features one expects and finds in anatomical omnivores such as bears and raccoons. Thus, from comparing the gastrointestinal tract of humans to that of carnivores, herbivores and omnivores we must conclude that humankind's GI tract is designed for a purely plant-food diet.

We are herbivores that choose, or not, to eat meat.
  • mattshrops
    I dont think that is true at all. As humans we have a need for protein and certain vitamins which are very difficult to get from other sources apart from meat. Obviously in todays society we can do that very easily but as little as 60or 70 years ago that was not the case. and we certainly have not evolved our digestive system within that timescale.
    Again there are good arguments in favour of vegetarianism, but lets not pretend we are going against our own biological system by eating meat.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    Ex-weight trainer, martial artist and noob-cyclist here.
    Eat lean cuts of meat [mainly chicken] and get those veggie sausages and veggie burgers in you too. The veggie products are high protein, high fibre and low fat. Just what anyone interested in sports needs.
    Real sausages and bacon are just fat and salt.

I've gradually lost weight through eating right and exercising- 2 stones in 3 years.

Eating crap like animal fats wrapped in stomach lining filled with salt will not do anyone any good. But my word they do taste nice!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    mattshrops wrote:
    I dont think that is true at all. As humans we have a need for protein and certain vitamins which are very difficult to get from other sources apart from meat. Obviously in todays society we can do that very easily but as little as 60or 70 years ago that was not the case. and we certainly have not evolved our digestive system within that timescale.
    Again there are good arguments in favour of vegetarianism, but lets not pretend we are going against our own biological system by eating meat.

As an evolved predator we also have forward facing eyes for hunting, as well as the aforementioned mix of tearing and grinding teeth.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    For real tasty low fat high protein sausages its got to be horse meat all the way--- don't know why they are not more widely available-- ( i do really but thats a whole different thread ting)