cleaning your rim

2»

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Being a tight git I spray on a mixture of water and washing up liquid from an old MucOff sprayer and then wipe with a damp cloth - never had a squeak on the Galaxy - I'm guessing you have the same canti brakes as me
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    jejv wrote:
    More importantly:

What is the best way to rim your cleaner ?
    When the Mrs has gone out for the day.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Spent some time yesterday taking both wheels off and washing rims in soapy water. Result? Now BOTH front and rear squeal instead of just rear!

Wtf am i doing wrong?!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    iclestu wrote:
    Wtf am i doing wrong?!

Your not rimming your cleaner properly :lol:
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Ignoring me and listening to bicycle witch doctors.

What is the black coating on the braking surface (underneath the road grime)?

It is brake pad material.

Do your brake pads dissolve in washing up liquid? No. So why would washing up liquid be expected to remove anything other than oily road grime?

Mavic used and possibly still do sell a soap stone for cleaning rims. Why is that I wonder.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    I'm on discs now but in the past I have been plagued by squeaky rim brakes on certain bikes and have found a multitude of suspected problems that have caused it.

1. Types /brand of pads, some just squeak, some don't and can squeak differently with steel and alloy rims too, check try different pads.
    2. Check if they squeak the same or different going in reverse at speed
    3. Toe in angle can cause squeak if it is too much, try just flat
    4. Check all brake fixings are tight, maybe remove and re-seat
    5. The pads can get contaminated when washing your bike, I mostly just use plain water at high pressure to clean my bike rather than any detergents because they will be absorbed by pads.

I'm steering clear of making comments about how I clean my rim. :shock:

However, I do find squeaky pads useful, I suffer from them now with my basic disc brakes. So if you are concerned about weight on your bike, squeaky pads may just be the answer by eliminating the need for a bell! :lol:
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich