Neck pain - at my wits end.....

richtw
richtw Posts: 118
Hello I am at a loss so thought I would ask on the forum....

In short I have have a pain in one side of my neck/ upper back when I cycle, it comes on gradually from about an hour in and does not get any better over the duration of a ride. It came on gradually as I have been cycling for years and so I went into see a doctor. I was referred to a consultant and physio for help and have had it XRayed (NHS will not MRI it for me), consultant can see a slight scoliosis (curved spine) and physio is positive I have damaged the levator scapulae as I have a dropped shoulder on that side too. After 8 months of physio, accupuncture etc it is still not getting any better.

Has anyone got any ideas of exercises I can do to strengthen my neck or any other helpful suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    8 months of treatment and no change suggests wrong diagnosis. Change physio? Second opinion? And see a good bike shop who can help you find a bike position that allows you to cycle without repeatedly agravating the injury. Avoid things that make it worse and if this includes cycling - reduce or stop completely. Everytime it hurts you prolong the healing process as I understand things. Hops you find a solution soon.
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Forgive me if I am oversimplifying this...

When I first started road cycling (only a few weeks ago) I had really difficult neck/upper back pain, to the point where I would have to stop mid-ride. I went back to my bike shop, they confirmed my bike fitted me correctly etc. Then I went for a ride with a colleague who is much more ‘in the know’ than I am. They came on a short ride with me to check posture etc.

I wasn't bending my arms enough, and when I was, I was really 'tensing' or holding too tight. As soon as he told me to bend my arms and relax, my neck pain disappeared. Apparently I should be using my core to support my shoulders, not my arms.

It sounds like your problem may be more complicated than mine, but could it be worth a try?
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    You could try a chiropractor - at the end of the day believe in them or not (I am unsure but my wife swears by them) they may help. But get one who is recommended by others!
  • richtw
    richtw Posts: 118
    Thanks for the posts, I have been cycling for years but I am aware that when it starts to cramp I do tend to put more pressure on my arms which then makes the problem worse - must concentrate more.

I have tried a Chiro but he was intent on trying to break my neck with some horrible noises coming out so I walked away from that one.....

Thanks
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Damaged levator scapular and dropped shoulder is a bit vague but.......

Is the scapula dropped, or rotated or both and is the shoulder actually dropped or is the other one higher?
    Has any soft tissue investigation been done trapezius, serratus or pec minor?
    Are you round shouldered and/ or do you have a head forward posture? Stand against a wall in your normal posture, round shoulders and head forward can be observed from the side (get someone to help/take a photo)

Exercises to help with lev scap strength would be weighted shrugs, or resisted flexion and extension of the neck. ie put your hand on the side of your head and push into it and pushing your head back into headrest whilst driving etc
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Far from being an expert, and this suggestion may even make things worse, so take with a pinch of salt....

I find doing the yoga Bow Pose helps me keep my shoulders stretched and balanced out!
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get yourself a bike fit with Adrian Timmis at www.cadencesport.co.uk

He will sort you out :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dovey119
    dovey119 Posts: 12
    Sounds similar to a condition called Shermer’s Neck it tend to occur in endurance cyclists. It's essentially where you get progressive failure of deep neck flexors and you get pain from larger muscle groups such as upper trapezius and lev scap and sternocleidomastoid. Usually resolved with specific dnf strengthening work, trigger point release and posturAL adjustment.