latest wiggins interview.

big_p
big_p Posts: 565
edited July 2012 in Pro race
anyone seen the footage yet ????????????

http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/news/wi ... -accusers/

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Would have loved to hear Bernie's take on this.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Where's the video? Can't find anything on YT :(
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I suspect he'll live to regret that one.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Profanities are useful for killing the TV coverage. :wink:
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    David Millar has said he's gutted.

Wiggins now officially better at everything (cycling related) than him. Profanity laced interviews were all he had left. Now that too has gone.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2012
    Not been a great day for Scottish sportsmen then.
  • tremayne
    iainf72 wrote:

I don't reckon. Judging by twitter, it's fast becoming legendary!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:

Unless he provides a positive sample I don't see why. He's right.
  • iainf72
    tremayne wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I don't reckon. Judging by twitter, it's fast becoming legendary!

As with most of these things, I think it's just confirming people's bias. If you liked Wiggins before, you'll like him more now. If you thought he was a bell end, you'll thinking that he's just confirmed it.

When you look at it, the team has staff who were on some of the skankiest teams in the last decade, questionable doctor, team mates who use to buy expensive training plans etc etc.

I don't believe they're doing anything dodgy but imagine the headlines you could wheel out with the above to the unsuspecting public.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

You mean like Lance, Basso or Ullrich? :P
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:

Presumably though, language like that is looked down upon by anyone sad enough to vote for/care about SPOTY.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You mean like Lance, Basso or Ullrich? :P

I had to laugh when C VdV and Freiburg Mick tweeted that he was right. :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    calvjones wrote:
    I had to laugh when C VdV and Freiburg Mick tweeted that he was right. :roll:

The Mick one killed me.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I understand what wiggins was getting at in a way, but really? Fans should assume cyclists are clean? Well we would, if you hadn't given us the 90's, Ullrich, Lance and a peloton mainly off their tits.

Cycling let the fans down for a generation, then fans become suspicious and riders get upset?

On a personal level I can see why it upsets Wiggo, being accused of cheating is never nice, but i don't think the fans are wholly to blame for that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Jez mon wrote:
    Presumably though, language like that is looked down upon by anyone sad enough to vote for/care about SPOTY.
    The last one they voted for was prone to saying 'sh!t' live on ITV.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72

On a personal level I can see why it upsets Wiggo, being accused of cheating is never nice, but i don't think the fans are wholly to blame for that.

Back when he was sh*t pack fodder, he indicated he understood why people would think like that.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    when you've just worked your bag off for approx 4.5 hrs for the 7th day in a row,and have to immediately talk to the (stupid)press when all you want to do is eat/get a massage/sleep/whatever , and you're on the verge of possibly achieving something NEVER before done by ANYONE from your country EVER, well i guess you'd answer politely :lol:

Me?I'd tell them to go feck themselves
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • tremayne
    Richard Moore has come out and said he wants a tee-shirt made up with the quote in full, emblazoned on it !!!
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Very different from what Lance's reply would have been, eh. Must be in response to the UK postal hecklers. Hard day in the saddle and you have to deal with all sorts of journo's. It goes to show it will take a lot of effort and a lot of time to get to a stage where such questions won't need to be asked anymore.
  • iainf72
    But he basically just said that he's out there,every day, bustin' his ass, didn't he?

He didn't actually say anything brilliant or revolutionary, he just said the same stuff everyone else wheels out. But he added some comedy swearing.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Talking to the press is part and parcel with the job, so no real weight in that argument.

Like I said, can see why he would get upset after doing all the hard work and being accused of cheating, but think he could have handled it much better and not pretended the last 20 years hasn't happened and that all pro-cyclist are saints and cleaner than an exceptionally clean whistle.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    He's right. Most of the discussions of doping on twitter and elsewhere is done by wankers.

Not assuming innocence is one thing (and fair enough given cycling's history), but what happens on twitter and on forums is the assumption of guilt.
  • iainf72
    Finally, the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics: I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people

Same message, no?
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    mattshrops wrote:
    when you've just worked your bag off for approx 4.5 hrs for the 7th day in a row,and have to immediately talk to the (stupid)press when all you want to do is eat/get a massage/sleep/whatever , and you're on the verge of possibly achieving something NEVER before done by ANYONE from your country EVER, well i guess you'd answer politely :lol:

Me?I'd tell them to go feck themselves

i like your response sir, i think I'd say the same, he's obviously under massive pressure regardless of what he might otherwise say,
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    iainf72 wrote:
    Finally, the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics: I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people

Same message, no?

Not really. Armstrong's is pure PR speak saying everyone is clean, while Wiggins is saying it can be done clean.

And had they been the same, so what?
  • iainf72
    That's kind of the point. Wiggins has actually said nothing. As did Armstrong. They both say they work hard and apply themselves.

He got annoying and a bit sweary. Genius. Some parts of the press will continue to push his buttons because of it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

Back when he was sh*t pack fodder, he indicated he understood why people would think like that.

Yeah, but that was 5 years ago. Things have changed a lot since then - especially the internet and social media - all sorts, not just twitter.

Back in 2007 it was journalists who asked the questions and wrote the stories. They are professionals who try to paint a full picture and have the sense and experience to weigh up the value of various information. They also put their names to their work. The likes of David Walsh put together highly researched, professional work.

Fast forward five years and the accusations are made by faceless, nameless (to maintain the illusion of being connected) bloggers and tweeters. They generally have an agenda and pick and choose their information accordingly. Some of them have built up quite a following so that they see themselves as important or influential and to maintain that they need to keep their followers happy with doping information - from any source necessary - especially those disregarded by proper journalists. The cleaner cycling becomes, the less relevant they become.

So we have we have rumours made up by a Pat McQuaid spoof widely redistributed or that mistake by a German newspaper about Ferrari and Evans (rather than Rogers) still trotted out as fact by many. Any vague link to doping gets blown up and repeated and repeated until it gains traction. Any gap in their understanding of cycling is filled by doping - and the beauty of it is your can't prove a rider is clean, so they can't be shown up.

The sad thing is that they think that they are helping to change cycling, but just like doping doctors, they are perpetuating the idea that only dopers can win. If you put them in a room with Thibault Pinot, they would set about convincing him that he can never win the Tour and he should just try for stages. It's more constructive to see positive signs rather than constructing negative ones.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    That's kind of the point. Wiggins has actually said nothing. As did Armstrong. They both say they work hard and apply themselves.

He got annoying and a bit sweary. Genius. Some parts of the press will continue to push his buttons because of it.

Difference was that Wiggins said it in a peloton which is probably cleaner than ever before. LA said it while standing on the podium with Basso and Ullrich.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He might ride a bike fast but he is a bit of a prick. Definitely no the type of guy you want as a friend. Crude fella.

Not endearing himself to the French isn't a good idea even though he did so earlier this year.
    Contador is the Greatest