So who got wet?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
we have a severe weather warning here, i was expecting monsoon like weather on the way in....it wasn't even raining

i'm disappointed

so who got our rain?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    We got a drop in London, but I didn't get wet, was wearing my jacket like a clever little boy :D
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Swam the last few miles, forecast was dry so no wet gear! but its warm so meh, kind of like it!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Had to pick something up from the post office which doesn't open til 8, so on PT. Naturally I forget about things like jackets when I'm walking now so, yes, I got wet.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I just didn't find it that exciting, sorry.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The North-East got it. Soaked to the skin. Rained for the entire 50 minutes it took me to get to work.
    And then stopped as I locked my bike up. :x
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Umm, I was 'reliably' informed that it wasn't going to rain (thanks BBC), only to head out in a t-shirt and no overshoes etc. Got pretty wet when it started to rain. Rah.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Me.

Just wearing bibs and short sleeve jersey and overshoes, I was going to wear a jacket, but it was just way to warm.

I am hoping that the weather is saving itself for the olympics.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Light rain for most of the way here in a rather damp but warm Gloucestershire. Rear wheel slide turning into the last corner of the journey woke me up some what.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Me. But it was nice as it is quite warm.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    SimonAH wrote:
    I just didn't find it that exciting, sorry.

Pearls before swine I tell you, pearls before swine.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Was dry when I left home... turned biblical for a short spell around 7:45 on the run up Oxford St & through Clerkenwell into Farringdon, but I had anticipated with jacket and overshoes so have dry kit to go home in :)

Its now eased off to a drizzle...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    i fell on me halfway to work. I didnt have waterproofs. It's going to be an uncomfortable ride home!
  • tordis
    tordis Posts: 51
    Managed to avoid the rain - it only started pouring when I arrived at work. Lucky me.
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    London surburbs across to Hampstead....I always vowed never to commute in the rain and setting off just after 6:30am this morning but I luckily had my lightweight Nike jacket and some 3/4 bibs (new from Lidl yesterday) and did get wet...had to stop and put the rucksack cover but enjoyed zipping pass the procession of cars on the A5 ! :D.

Would have not enjoyed the commute if there was a strong headwind!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Mudcow - think your scouse rain has ended up the Ship Canal with us. Torrential since around 8am and showing no sign of stopping :(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    msmancunia wrote:
    Mudcow - think your scouse rain has ended up the Ship Canal with us. Torrential since around 8am and showing no sign of stopping :(

Its grim up north. :lol:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    msmancunia wrote:

damn you manchester!

its raining here but its just everyday wet rain, no sign of it turning biblical

does anyone else get excited an giggle when they are riding in lashing down rain - you know the type of rain when you are soaked through?
  • It only drizzled on the way in but I'm soaking with sweat - why can't I cycle in slowly? I just have to go for it every time
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Forecast for Hampshire was no rain until tonight (if at all). Lovely ride in. Now (1230) teeming down. Wet ride home I guess. Oh well, hot shower and then I'm going to the pub.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    mudcow007 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

damn you manchester!

its raining here but its just everyday wet rain, no sign of it turning biblical

does anyone else get excited an giggle when they are riding in lashing down rain - you know the type of rain when you are soaked through?

Its just got kinda biblical now - haha - sundays gonna be fun - there wont be much difference between going over and under the mersey - :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I did: was raining when I set off, but warm, so just shorts and top. It wasn't raining particularly heavily, but it's been steady all morning and appears to be getting worse. I'd not class it as monsoon though: just heavy and persistant.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    not yet, but will do soon!

I expect there will be some standing water in one of the paths I use in Bushy Park
  • haha - sundays gonna be fun - there wont be much difference between going over and under the mersey - :D

Be sure to sing the song as you paddle....
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Very wet this morning. Eased up now. Nothing biblical just consistant heavy rain all morning.

Waterproof trousers on so mainly dry on the inside, dry T-shirt on standby (too hot for jackets).
    Will have soggy shoes for ride home though- must remember to get decent overshoes.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    SS jersey, bib shorts and yes I got drenched. However, if I had worn my Gore jacket I would have been just as wet as I cycle hard most of the time & would've sweated more. As a result, got into work less sweaty (hot) than normal but soggier :D TBH, after the initial drops, it didn't bother me and I wasn't cold. Server room will dry it all out before I go home anyway...

BUT

I must change my goretex lined Shimano MTB shoes for something more "road friendly" and essentially NOT waterproof. Water goes in but never comes out, so end up cycling in a puddle :roll: Suggestions?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just missed it this morning. Not letting up now though. suspect I'll have some serious kit cleaning to do when I get home.
  • mudcow007
    sundays gonna be fun - there wont be much difference between going over and under the mersey - :D

you doing the sportive cleat?

i have to do the 50 miler as i do it with work peoples

see if you can spot me, i will wear a pink carnation
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Yeah doing it with chums but they want to start at half 8 - if its raining i'm smegging off on me own - you can't miss me - long mac, dark glasses and go by the name of agent munter. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sunny in Bristol this morning - raining this afternoon....
  • mudcow007
    Yeah doing it with chums but they want to start at half 8 - if its raining i'm smegging off on me own - you can't miss me - long mac, dark glasses and go by the name of agent munter. :D

we start at half 8 aswell, hopefully i will leave my lot in the tunnel than grab onto the back of one of the clubs

u doing the sportive?

routes changed again this year so its only 50 miles there an back doing the short ride